Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #2026
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
This may have been covered, but why is there no remote release socket, something I use all the time? Would a 3.5mm socket spoil the lines of a brick?
Why it is not on the K-x? It'0s just a choice of positioning it on the market. The K-01 is the mirrorless version of a reflex positioned like the K-r, with the "low donation" of that position. When the mirrorless version of a K-5 will see the light, there will be the remote cable socket, I am sure.

02-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #2027
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought the K-01 was the mirrorless version of the K5, the quality and size of the sensor would indicate that, it's difficult to see who exactly the K-01 is aimed at.

Chris
02-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #2028
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought the K-01 was the mirrorless version of the K5, the quality and size of the sensor would indicate that, it's difficult to see who exactly the K-01 is aimed at.

Chris
There is nothing in the specifications of the K-01 to indicate it is anything other than low-end. It has a similar sensor to the K-5, but everything else is closer to the K-r.

12-bit RAW, 3 exposure bracketing, one e-dial, front only IR port, ISO 100-25,600, etc.

The K-01 is not aimed at you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a market. Video and lens compatibility are it's primary selling points. IMHO it is aimed at the hipster who discovered photography with a thrift-store K1000.

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-11-2012 at 08:47 AM.
02-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #2029
Veteran Member

Chris
The K5 sensor is nearing a couple of years old. That, plus the relative lack of external controls on the K-01, and the fact that its launch price is < 60% of the K5's launch price all suggest the K-01 is not designed to be a mirrorless replacement for the K5.

Edit: already answered, I see now.

Last edited by cfraz; 02-11-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Edit: already answered, I see now.
02-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #2030
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
The K5 sensor is nearing a couple of years old. That, plus the relative lack of external controls on the K-01, and the fact that its launch price is < 60% of the K5's launch price all suggest the K-01 is not designed to be a mirrorless replacement for the K5.

Edit: already answered, I see now.
K-01 has newly developed sensor.
02-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #2031
Veteran Member

But omitting something as basic as a remote shutter release is, for me, unforgivable.
What do we really lose with the IR only? CIF? Something on bulb?

Perhaps there will be a new IR that takes care of these things?
02-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #2032
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-01 has newly developed sensor.
Remember when the K-7 came out, they also said it had a "newly developed sensor" but it turned out to be just the K20D sensor with some slight modifications to allow for video output or something like that... I'm thinking the K-01 will be 95% identical to the K-5 in terms of image quality (which is still great!)

02-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #2033
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Remember when the K-7 came out, they also said it had a "newly developed sensor" but it turned out to be just the K20D sensor with some slight modifications to allow for video output or something like that... I'm thinking the K-01 will be 95% identical to the K-5 in terms of image quality (which is still great!)
By the way, K20D and K-7's IQ are not equal...Even colours are not the same...
02-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #2034
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What do we really lose with the IR only? CIF? Something on bulb?

Perhaps there will be a new IR that takes care of these things?
Yes, CIF doesn't work with the IR remote as far as I can tell.

Additional complaints I have about DSLRs without wired remotes:
  • The IR remote gets ignored by the camera too often. IR is line-of-sight only and can be blocked by the camera body or lens.
  • Interval shooting with long exposures is a problem. The built-in intervalometer allows 30 second maximum exposure. Anything beyond that requires bulb mode. Some fancy wired remotes include intervalometers with slower shutter settings, but I've never seen an IR remote include a timer. I've sorely missed it for astrophotgraphy when I want dozens of 2-minute exposures.
02-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #2035
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Yes, CIF doesn't work with the IR remote as far as I can tell.

Additional complaints I have about DSLRs without wired remotes:
  • The IR remote gets ignored by the camera too often. IR is line-of-sight only and can be blocked by the camera body or lens.
  • Interval shooting with long exposures is a problem. The built-in intervalometer allows 30 second maximum exposure. Anything beyond that requires bulb mode. Some fancy wired remotes include intervalometers with slower shutter settings, but I've never seen an IR remote include a timer. I've sorely missed it for astrophotgraphy when I want dozens of 2-minute exposures.
To me, those things are pretty minor. For other people, I can see those issues as being major. If they *are* major to a lot of people, you could easily fix the bulb mode and the CIF problem. The line of sight... probably not.
02-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #2036
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Good news is the DC motor in the 18-135 is VERY quiet.. damn near silent..
I agree! That lens is really quiet, would be nice for film on K-01
02-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #2037
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
I agree! That lens is really quiet, would be nice for film on K-01
Wait, I thought the k-01 was digital! What type of film can you put in? Because I have a refrigerator full of 35mm Velvia that the wife keeps spilling milk on.

02-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #2038
Veteran Member

Wait, I thought the k-01 was digital! What type of film can you put in? Because I have a refrigerator full of 35mm Velvia that the wife keeps spilling milk on.

You shouldn't have told her that it was the new label for Velveeta ....
02-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #2039
Veteran Member

Wait.. WHAT! You should simply send your FF solution canisters my way.. I just cleaned up a Super Program lately, to shoot my 43Ltd with.. the way it was supposed to be used.
02-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #2040
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Wait.. WHAT! You should simply send your FF solution canisters my way.. I just cleaned up a Super Program lately, to shoot my 43Ltd with.. the way it was supposed to be used.
As a complete thread hijack, do you know how the Super Programs' viewfinder compares to the ME Super? I'd really like the Program's auto-functions but wondered if they downsized the ME's viewfinder.