Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #2056
Inactive Account

Just a comment regarding the EVF or lack thereof. I understand why there isn't one built in (price/size) but I don't understand why there isn't an accessory port on there for an optional one.
My opinion is detachable EVsF are similar to Battery grips. If you want to do some serious shooting and you are taking along some lenses you don't mind the extra bulk. But if you want to take as little as possible you can but alt least you have the choice.
Also with an accessory viewfinder people who want it will buy it (good for pentax) and as it isn't included it keeps the price of the camera down. Heck they could have made it compatible with Ricohs GXR EVF (yes ugly but usable).

Last edited by Tonto; 02-14-2012 at 08:32 PM.
02-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #2057
Veteran Member

I was this weekend at the birthday party . There was other peoples with camera , a Nikon DSLR and a Fuji bridge with OVF. Well . they never use their OVF. I ask them if they ever the OVF . They said why should I use it.
I believe this is the target audience for the K-1
02-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #2058
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Just a comment regarding the EVF or lack thereof. I understand why there isn't one built in (price/size) but I don't understand why there isn't an accessory port on there for an optional one.
Because it will be in version 2. So if you have bought version 1, you will fell compelled to switch to 2. In the meantime, they decide if rebrand the Ricoh optional viewfinder, if use it with the Ricoh name, if create a different one with Mark Newson design, if do the latter and drop the Ricoh one. Decisions, decisions...
02-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #2059
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
I understand why there isn't one built in (price/size) but I don't understand why there isn't an accessory port on there for an optional one.
IMHO, an external EVF with a body as large as the K-01 is just as ridiculous as no EVF at all. Price is the only story and it is telling us that the K-01 isn't targeted at people who would buy an external EVF. They have to wait for their camera (call it the K-02).

02-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #2060
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
IMHO, an external EVF with a body as large as the K-01 is just as ridiculous as no EVF at all. Price is the only story and it is telling us that the K-01 isn't targeted at people who would buy an external EVF. They have to wait for their camera (call it the K-02).
+1 to that!

They're no different than Sony by first attacking the P&S market. The NEX-7 hasn't even really hit the market yet (deliveries have been extremely scarce). Olympus tried to attack several market tiers simultaneously, but their E-P1 and E-P2 were real under performers, weren't they? It's not until now, with the OM-D, that they're offering a really interesting camera for advanced amateurs used to DSLRs, with a built-in EVF. I also assume that in relatively short time, they will be able to equip a more "prosumer" version of the K-0* with a very good EVF for a lower cost. And they may also want to wait until they've made CDAF work faster and better with old lenses.
02-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #2061
Inactive Account

What about Sonys latest VF, DP stated it as the best one now. Its also kinda interesting with their mirror raise function. It doesnt swing, but rather raises up.
Things i'd like to see on our future cameras

I like their ideas and the way they progress. Sorry for OT....
02-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #2062
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, you do have an external EVF, it's just three inches across.

02-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #2063
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 is an entry level camera so the lack of EVF is not necessarily bad. But I wonder why it's not included, some P&S superzoom in the 200-300$ range have an EVF, not a high quality one, but it's better than nothing.

I have a K-5 and many good lenses and the K-01 doesn't interest me as a primary camera but as a backup, on tripod or for video it could be convenient especially if the price comes down a lot which I think it will because it's certainly cheaper to produce than a K-r. It will be light, takes not too much place in the backpack. And the battery is the same as the K-5.
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #2064
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The K-01 is an entry level camera so the lack of EVF is not necessarily bad. But I wonder why it's not included, some P&S superzoom in the 200-300$ range have an EVF, not a high quality one, but it's better than nothing.
Rhetorical question - how expensive is a EVF that is 'better' than the rear LCD?

I ask because I have a then-decent P+S from ~2006 that has an OVF. The OVF is worthless. It's extra weight, cost, and size. I can only recall using it as a joke.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 02-20-2012 at 10:02 PM.
02-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #2065
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I was this weekend at the birthday party . There was other peoples with camera , a Nikon DSLR and a Fuji bridge with OVF. Well . they never use their OVF. I ask them if they ever the OVF . They said why should I use it.
I believe this is the target audience for the K-1
I saw a guy on the street the other day with a Nikon (not sure of the model) DSLR, and he was holding it in one hand at arm's length and shooting that way. It was almost painful for me to watch. I mean, you don't have to use the viewfinder, but no amount of image stabilization is going to make up for that.
02-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #2066
Pentaxian

The people who want an OVF can buy the K-5 and descendants.

I don't like it because I can't see it clearly. Bifocals, and to hold it at the right distance, no. I'd rather look through the OVF. But a younger crowd with good eyesight may view things differently.
02-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #2067

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
+1 to that!

They're no different than Sony by first attacking the P&S market. The NEX-7 hasn't even really hit the market yet (deliveries have been extremely scarce). Olympus tried to attack several market tiers simultaneously, but their E-P1 and E-P2 were real under performers, weren't they? It's not until now, with the OM-D, that they're offering a really interesting camera for advanced amateurs used to DSLRs, with a built-in EVF. I also assume that in relatively short time, they will be able to equip a more "prosumer" version of the K-0* with a very good EVF for a lower cost. And they may also want to wait until they've made CDAF work faster and better with old lenses.
Olympus is just really slow. There's no reason why they had to re-release the same camera so many times over such a long period.
02-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #2068

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nails my contention from Day 1 (overwhelmed by the shouting) that the size of the camera only matters when a lens is mounted. How will the K-01 conmpare to others in its IQ class when the both have equivalent IQ lenses mounted?

Shirt pocket is fine for the camera body, but where do you carry the lens?
I tried the K-01 at CP+ in Yokohama, and it's not practical to fit even just the body in a shirt pocket.....

It's bulky and it's way too heavy to carry in a shirt pocket.

I was really looking forward to playing with this camera, and it was disappointed. The styling is way too boxy as well.