Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Let me get this straight.

The OP's comment consists of a link to their personal Pentax bashing blog to generate traffic to their site.

Am I missing something here?

Saki all around. Served warm. Drink up.

12-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote

The OP's comment consists of a link to their personal Pentax bashing blog to generate traffic to their site.
Pretty much.

QuoteQuote:
Nope.

QuoteQuote:
Saki all around. Served warm. Drink up.
Cheers!
12-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
The largest sensor Samsung makes today is 5MP. Do you really think they'll produce a commercially viable FF sensor in that short of time?
Ahhh........

Hmmm........

YEAH!
12-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #34
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think that you should forget about Sony sensors for Pentax high-end cameras.
Samsung will make FF sensor in 2 year.
The way tech is going there is no real need for a FF. If you want FF maybe Pentax will come out with their medium format camera with a sensor size some where in between a 35mm and a medium format camera.

FF is a great selling point for Canon if you enjoy huge lenses and cameras that you need a crane to lift.

FF for digi slr's IMHO is not where it is at !

wll

12-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
The wait may not be that long. Sony is coming out with a flagship model that will almost certainly be full frame. Depends on whether Sony wants to share its full frame sensor or not, Pentax can conceivably have a full frame model ready for display by Photokina 08. One way Sony can refuse to share is to price its full frame sensor at an astronomical price, so that Pentax cannot competitively price its full frame model. If that is the case, then Pentax may need to look elsewhere for a sensor. But if Sony plays it nice (or fair or even altruistic), then anything can happen.
Pentax no longer care what Sony sensors are available.

However, they will be watching Sony's FF camera and seeing how well it does before making a decision. There are almost NO Pro Sony users so the market is small. Canon have have to dump their 5Ds on the market and dealers are still making minimal margin.

If Sony sell well, I think it will increase the chances of a Pentax FF in the distant future, but I personally have grave doubts that Sony will pull it off. I also think Pentax would sell far more 645Ds than Sony would sell FF SLRs.
12-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
So, the sampling size is very large already and it is very extensive, too.
But that is meaningless. To be accurate, the sample must be representative and the survey done scientifically. That is why a survey of a little more than 1,000 individuals in the United States (with a population well over 200 million) can often accurately reflect public opinion, but a random sample that is much larger than a scientific sample may not be able to accurately survey public opinion.
12-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
The way tech is going there is no real need for a FF. If you want FF maybe Pentax will come out with their medium format camera with a sensor size some where in between a 35mm and a medium format camera.

FF is a great selling point for Canon if you enjoy huge lenses and cameras that you need a crane to lift.

wll
The D300 and D3 are both 12mp cameras. Yet there are many people who buy the more expensive full frame D3 for more than twice the price of the D300. Is there a real need for people to buy the D3? Not sure, but people are ready, willing and able to buy the full frame DSLR cameras.

Pentax is NOT coming out with a medium format DSLR. In fact Pentax has announced that it has suspended development of the 645D. And even if it were to sell one, it wouldn't be cheaper than the Nikon D3 or the Canon EOS 5D.

If you think full frame cameras and lenses are huge and heavy, then what about medium format DSLR cameras and lenses?

12-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
- the A700 looks to be a solid seller, even with Sony's limited lens offerings
Actually, that's not the case in Japan. Despite the camera is a brand new model on the market for just months, the sales has dropped to around 1-2% level (it only manages to stay above 2% for two weeks peaking at 4% at launch). And that's got to be worrying for Sony in Japan, and for its forthcoming FF offering.

The little peak of the purple line you saw in the graph above is due to A700 (ended in November 07), but by December 07, the purple line has dropped back down.
12-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Color legend:
The blue line - Nikon
The fuchsia line - Canon
The yellow line - Pentax (as written)
The violet line - Sony
The aquamarine line - Olympus
The red line - I can't read the Kanji, but I'm guessing an amalgamation of all other manufacturers (Sigma, Fuji, Panasonic, Leica, Samsung)
The red line is Matsushita Denki Sangyou, makers of Panasonic.
12-31-2007, 04:14 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Actually, that's not the case in Japan. Despite the camera is a brand new model on the market for just months, the sales has dropped to around 1-2% level (it only manages to stay above 2% for two weeks peaking at 4% at launch). And that's got to be worrying for Sony in Japan, and for its forthcoming FF offering.

The little peak of the purple line you saw in the graph above is due to A700 (ended in November 07), but by December 07, the purple line has dropped back down.
Oh okay. The line stopped at November, and had no idea where Sony is from that point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The red line is Matsushita Denki Sangyou, makers of Panasonic.
Thanks Mike! How's the Pentax doing in Japan (though I'm guessing they're doing well)? Being from Japan yourself, maybe some first-hand experience can bring better insight than a survey.
12-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
The D300 and D3 are both 12mp cameras. Yet there are many people who buy the more expensive full frame D3 for more than twice the price of the D300. Is there a real need for people to buy the D3? Not sure, but people are ready, willing and able to buy the full frame DSLR cameras.
For most, I truly believe it is a matter of TA...tech addiction....I MUST HAVE the next upgraded model of what comes out. There are plenty of photogs using Canon 30D's making a better than good living shooting excellent wedding photographs...not to mention those shooting D200's and less and the few that shoot the K10D....is it needed? NO. But it makes life easier.

There are those that will pixel peep all day long. It's good to do your best, but there comes a point when it goes overboard. But, mines bigger than yours now!

Personally, the only reason I would want such an expensive cam (if I were a pro) is for the fps and high ISO use for action shooting. For me, the machine gun approach might not cater to my artistic understanding of photography, but it'll produce more keepers which would put $ in my pocket.
12-31-2007, 09:33 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Color legend:
The blue line - Nikon
The fuchsia line - Canon
The yellow line - Pentax (as written)
The violet line - Sony
The aquamarine line - Olympus
The red line - I can't read the Kanji, but I'm guessing an amalgamation of all other manufacturers (Sigma, Fuji, Panasonic, Leica, Samsung)
The Red line, as I have already mentioned in my blog article is Panasonic (exactly it states Matshita, the company which makes Panasonic products)

QuoteQuote:
What's interesting to me in this graph is that the success of the K10D and K100D buoyed Pentax's market share and kept it at 10% for the whole of 2006.
Not true. It is not for the whole year of 2006, but just December 2006. For the 2006 global results, in fact Pentax yet came last too:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Pentax Still Comes Last in 2006 DSLR Global Shipment Share

QuoteQuote:
I'm expecting Olympus to end up third at the end of this year, then Sony in fourth, with Pentax not too far behind at fifth. Considering that up until November, Pentax still has 5% share even with only the K100D Super and three lenses released this year, that's a good indication of the staying power of the K100D/K10D in motherland Japan.
It is less than 5% and nearly half of the a little bit more than 5% share of the Sony and Oly, actually.

QuoteQuote:
If Pentax can replicate the success of the K10D/K100D with the K20D/K200D, they look to be locked in third for 2008 and possibly beyond. Releasing some of the awaited DA lenses would only help some more.
Providing that they can put these on the market without further delays.
12-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote

Yes. The only thing you've missed is simply that you can always ignore me if you wish. WHY bother to read (and even respond)? You should have skipped all these non-sense of mine from the very beginning!
12-31-2007, 09:45 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
The way tech is going there is no real need for a FF.
Really? How about all the Pentax 135 lenses ever made since 60s can be used as it was designed to be???

QuoteQuote:
If you want FF maybe Pentax will come out with their medium format camera with a sensor size some where in between a 35mm and a medium format camera.
What's the point of making a new form factor and developing a brand new system, for both lenses and bodies??

QuoteQuote:
The K10D weighs 710 grams whilst the Canon FF 5D weighs 810 grams. Do you mean that the extra *100g* will need a crane to lift??

QuoteQuote:
Now still FF has better Dynamic Range, better graduation of greys, more greys resolution, much lower noise with more details. Do you really mean that you don't want all these advantages??

wll[/QUOTE]

No real need??
12-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Now still FF has better Dynamic Range, better graduation of greys, more greys resolution, much lower noise with more details. Do you really mean that you don't want all these advantages??
DOnt forget that FF models are alot cheaper then the APS-C ones...BTW. You keep saying that K10D is an obsolete (useless, pathetic, "insert an insult" etc. etc. etc)... What about your beloved 5D, now if that isnt obsolete, then I really dont know the meaning of the word... And yet, that doesnt bothers you... Come on, i really to not know what to think of you.... are you a Troll?, are you an "eViL Pentay stole my meal" craybaby? Or what.... I mean, all you do is point the negative stuff... Why???, I mean, a broken K10D is 10 times better then that laughable toy Canon sells fot the same price... and yet, you still continue to bash the Pentax...

Blah... I give up... youre right Ricehigh, Pentax cameras are just plain rubbish... and all of us here, idiots... You've made your point, now move to the Canon forums please...

Last edited by B051LjKo; 01-01-2008 at 03:24 AM.