Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Japanese DSLR Sales Figures for One Year

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Japanese DSLR Sales Figures for One Year

Well, Pentax should really market the K200D and K20D soonest and to strive to improve in the shortest possible time!

12-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the benefit of those who can't read the original or who don't bother with the Babelfish, I'll go ahead and post here the footnote regarding the data:

QuoteQuote:
「BCNランキング」は、全国のパソコン専門店や家電量販店など24社・2200を超える店舗からPOSデータを日次で収集・集計しているPOSデータベースです。これは日本の店頭市場の約4割をカバーする規模で、パソコン本体からデジタル家電まで115品目を対象としています。
Data is collected from 2200 retail outlets of 24 chain computer stores and consumer electronics stores and represents only about 40% of Japanese retailers.
12-30-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
For the benefit of those who can't read the original or who don't bother with the Babelfish, I'll go ahead and post here the footnote regarding the data:

Data is collected from 2200 retail outlets of 24 chain computer stores and consumer electronics stores and represents only about 40% of Japanese retailers.
So, the sampling size is very large already and it is very extensive, too.
12-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
So, the sampling size is very large already and it is very extensive, too.
"...2200 retail outlets..." - those are B&M shops, aren't they ? I wonder if online shops
sales are different from B&M in Japan.

12-30-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, Pentax should really market the K200D and K20D soonest and to strive to improve in the shortest possible time!
[shrug] what's your point?
I have stated in the other post, that the 3rd place is like playing musical chairs. Whoever have new models would take it; at least in Japan. So the chart reflects this trend exactly. Oly and Sony have new models, so the sales go up. When K200D and K20D are released, I think Pentax would retake 3rd place, at least for a few months.

Japan is a very different market from other places. It is a very gadget driven, and "latest trend" driven market. So they are much more likely to embrace the latest and greatest models.
12-30-2007, 02:21 AM   #6
TDN
Forum Member

I thought you had a Canon now?

Shoo, go play somewhere else.
12-30-2007, 02:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
[shrug] what's your point?
I have stated in the other post, that the 3rd place is like playing musical chairs. Whoever have new models would take it; at least in Japan. So the chart reflects this trend exactly. Oly and Sony have new models, so the sales go up. When K200D and K20D are released, I think Pentax would retake 3rd place, at least for a few months.

Japan is a very different market from other places. It is a very gadget driven, and "latest trend" driven market. So they are much more likely to embrace the latest and greatest models.
My point is the same as yours.

12-30-2007, 03:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My point is the same as yours.
Oh no, no no no, not at all.
You blame on the various "issues" like your so called K10D "deficiencies" or lens line-up "deficiencies" etc. But that's not true. It is simply a new model musical chair cycle in Japan.

For example, your beloved super duper Canon 5D; with its "superior" picture, "superior" features, "amazing no deficiency" lens line-up; and with all these inherent good points (according to you), yet its sales have completely dropped off the chart despite heavy discounting. It now accounts for less than 0.2% sales of the Japanese market. Why? Because it's an old model. Not because of various "deficiencies" you like to blame. And full frame camera? Ha! Your full frame camera comment is simply ridiculous; and you will be proven wrong (and I am sure you won't care).
12-30-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh no, no no no, not at all.
You blame on the various "issues" like your so called K10D "deficiencies" or lens line-up "deficiencies" etc. But that's not true. It is simply a new model musical chair cycle in Japan.

For example, your beloved super duper Canon 5D; with its "superior" picture, "superior" features, "amazing no deficiency" lens line-up; and with all these inherent good points (according to you), yet its sales have completely dropped off the chart despite heavy discounting. It now accounts for less than 0.2% sales of the Japanese market. Why? Because it's an old model. Not because of various "deficiencies" you like to blame. And full frame camera? Ha! Your full frame camera comment is simply ridiculous; and you will be proven wrong (and I am sure you won't care).
The common point we have made here is that the K10D and K100D should be replaced soonest. Otherwise, sales figures will drop, right?

As for Canon DSLR gear, all figures show that they are selling very well. What do you want to argue?
12-30-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As for Canon DSLR gear, all figures show that they are selling very well. What do you want to argue?
Only their latest models though. Not Canon 5D.
My argument was against your blaming for K10D's drop in sales on varioius "deficiencies" you "found".

My point is even though Canon 5D has no deficiencies in your eyes, its sales has also dropped like stone - simply because it is an old model. This is how Japan market works. And K10D's drop in sale is because it is due for a replacement, not because of its "deficiencies".
12-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #11
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Pentax can use sensors from Samsung in the nearest future, all figures can be changed in any time. It's not important. Japan's DSLR market is only 13% of world's market.
The important is the next steps and ways of Pentax/Samsung DSLR.

Last edited by ogl; 12-30-2007 at 07:34 AM.
12-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #12

Yeah Japan is very different. Not only because of their different mentality, but also because new models appear there VERY fast. If K20 will be announced Jan-24, i guess people in USA can hope to have it in March, maybe even later... For me it will be autumn... While Japanese people will be able to get it in Febuary. So really, why should they bother getting K10, while they can wait a month or two and get K20...
That's why the sales are dropping, not because of "flaws" lol.
12-30-2007, 04:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If Pentax can use sensors from Samung in the nearest future, all figures can be changed in any time. It's not important.
Hear, Hear!

Ben
12-30-2007, 05:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Is that a new hint?
12-30-2007, 05:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only their latest models though. Not Canon 5D.
My argument was against your blaming for K10D's drop in sales on varioius "deficiencies" you "found".

My point is even though Canon 5D has no deficiencies in your eyes, its sales has also dropped like stone - simply because it is an old model. This is how Japan market works. And K10D's drop in sale is because it is due for a replacement, not because of its "deficiencies".
You miss the point totally. We are all talking about brand share but not about the share of a particular model.

Of course pro bodies and up-market bodies in a lineup will sell less than those entry level or mainstream ones in number. But still, the whole system do sell for the Canon case.

Afterall, I guess you won't tell me the low sales number of K10D is owing to that it is a pro grade body, will you? Face it, it was targeted to be mainstream but it have never sold many, especially by now. The published figures say it all.