Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
By the way, RiceHigh, do you know what the word m*sturbation means? It doesn't sound fun after you're twelve.
It did sound fun to me. You didn't? ;-D LOL..

01-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #62
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
RH - no he is not a measurbater - he is not even one of them

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote

By the way, RiceHigh, do you know what the word m*sturbation means? It doesn't sound fun after you're twelve.

Now back to topic.. wait.. what topic? :ugh:
RH is a:
"Online Expert or Armchair Photographer: Level 0 (these guys don't take pictures so they aren't a level of photographer.)" my emphasis.
Now I do not agree with a lot of things Mr. Rockwell says - but he hit this one (go to the bottom - duh!) Seven Levels of Photographers © 2005 KenRockwell.com

Please remember that RH does not own a K10D - and in the past he said he held one for 10 - minutes. I held a Canon 5D with a 600mm lens with a 2x TC once - I guess that makes me an expert on 5D's? RH/based logic is just plane weird.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
RH is a:
"Online Expert or Armchair Photographer: Level 0 (these guys don't take pictures so they aren't a level of photographer.)" my emphasis.
Now I do not agree with a lot of things Mr. Rockwell says - but he hit this one (go to the bottom - duh!) Seven Levels of Photographers © 2005 KenRockwell.com

Please remember that RH does not own a K10D - and in the past he said he held one for 10 - minutes. I held a Canon 5D with a 600mm lens with a 2x TC once - I guess that makes me an expert on 5D's? RH/based logic is just plane weird.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
I've seen him proudly quoting this Ken Rockwell's phrase about himself somewhere. Go figure.
01-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #64
Inactive Account

Can anyone really blame Rich High for being a canon fan? I'm personally very fond of all of my canon products, I've used 3 of their scientific calculators and they were dead accurate (and fast too!). I was also impressed by the asking price, never paid more than $20 for any of them.

Canon does have something to offer, make no mistake about that.

SLC

01-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #65

I heart their printers.
01-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #66
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
asahi.com : Nikon to top digital SLR sales for 2007 - ENGLISH
Pentax is no 3. in Japan without any new models.
01-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #67
Inactive Account

With 6.3% of Japanese sales Pentax have a lot of ground to make up - consequently canikon have a lot of ground to lose.

i attended a marketing and sales seminar once that paralleled GM with Harley Davidson - GM had huge sales in comparison to Harley Davidson but at the end of teh day Harley Davidson made more profit.

Just cause canikon sell lots of cameras doesn't equate to more profits than Pentax.

01-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Just cause canikon sell lots of cameras doesn't equate to more profits than Pentax.
In this case, it does. Unlike GM, who has to have deep discount to sell and compete, Canon / Nikon have premium images and can command premium price. So not only do they sell a lot of cameras, their profit margins are also the highest among camera manufacturers.
01-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #69
Inactive Account

I'd be interested to see any actual figures you may have. I'm not saying Pentax is more profitable, just saying that smaller turn over doesn't actuallly equate to less profits.

Would be interesting to see just what the real cost per unit of a canon xti is with all marketing etc put into the equation compare to a K10D.
01-06-2008, 03:01 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I would hazard a hypothesis that Pentax market share could have gone up a few points if it weren't for negative blogs floating around in cyberspace. Imagine if a newbie intending to buy a DSLR for the first time decides to do does an online search of Pentax reviews and comes across negative research by you know who...
01-06-2008, 04:46 AM   #71

Remember that PENTAX is a "little" company...having a market share 5/6 of the market share of SONY is absolutely not that bad, since SONY is 20 times bigger than PENTAX...ore more!

Seeing in this way the real competitor is Olympus, which btw it's only 0,5% so far.
01-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
I heart their printers.
I do, too, as well as their scanners.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
asahi.com : Nikon to top digital SLR sales for 2007 - ENGLISH
Pentax is no 3. in Japan without any new models.
I was thinking along the same lines, but I figured the K10D in December 2006 was pretty new and probably constituted a big bulk of the 6.3% share Pentax had in 2007.

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
With 6.3% of Japanese sales Pentax have a lot of ground to make up - consequently canikon have a lot of ground to lose.

i attended a marketing and sales seminar once that paralleled GM with Harley Davidson - GM had huge sales in comparison to Harley Davidson but at the end of teh day Harley Davidson made more profit.

I think it's Canon's share that's on the slide lately.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I would hazard a hypothesis that Pentax market share could have gone up a few points if it weren't for negative blogs floating around in cyberspace. Imagine if a newbie intending to buy a DSLR for the first time decides to do does an online search of Pentax reviews and comes across negative research by you know who...
Agreed. And that negative blog pops up in this forums as well as in Google. No worries, though. But I doubt people who do their research will base their decision solely on that blog. And the market has spoken. 6.3% is a good number. The market base has grown tremendously, so if 6.3% back then meant 6 people (just an example), it now means 63 or even 630 people buying Pentax.

Besides, every market leader in every industry has had to achieve 6.3% before going on to gain more market share.

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Remember that PENTAX is a "little" company...having a market share 5/6 of the market share of SONY is absolutely not that bad, since SONY is 20 times bigger than PENTAX...ore more!

Seeing in this way the real competitor is Olympus, which btw it's only 0,5% so far.
Like Pentax, Sony has only had one model in 2007, but it also means that the A100 isn't that big of a seller, seeing how the K100D/Super held it's own. Interesting to see what Sony does in the short term.

Olympus, from what I hear, is stronger in other markets. Dunno.

In any case, like I mentioned above, 6.3% is definitely a good place to be in for Pentax. With 2 new cameras coming, that number might even bump up more next year.
01-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
It would be suprised if there were not people working for the big names spreading misinformation on the net-it would explain alot.
01-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
It would be suprised if there were not people working for the big names spreading misinformation on the net-it would explain alot.
Pentax have great products but they can't get it in the hands of would-be buyers quickly enough. That's an issue of gearing up production from a relatively smaller base, distribution and marketing, not forgetting brand building and consumer awareness.

As to competitor misinformation, I take it as a given but at least we can have a rough idea where they are coming from. With purported negative info blogs/website (like you know who's), that spew out a lot of tech verbiage, to the uninitiated it can sound like definitive fact. I know of a newbie who did settled on a Nikon D40 because he did an online search and came across you know who's site and opted against buying a Pentax. What irks me is that it contributes to a negative impression even before they had a chance to even have a hands-on of the real thing.

No doubt Pentax has to work doubly hard to catch up and consolidate 3rd position but I'm sure they don't need friends like you know who to contend with.
01-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Maybe that's how he got his 5D so cheap..... not smart enough to get it free apparently,
or did he?... Anyways sometimes a judge of success is how many enemies you make.
Yes the high rate of his blog/webpage coming up on google is annoying....but nobody should take one opinion to make such a buying decision.