Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In anything, this stat really highlights the fact that nearly everyone is abandoning dSLRs. Most of the action and excitement is really in mirrorless these days. Let's see if the sales follow...

02-01-2012, 03:24 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
In the next year, Olympus and Sony drop from DSLR market. In the smaller DSLR market, Canon and Nikon sell 71 DSLRs and Pentax sells only 8.
DSLR market has grown as far as Canon and Nikon are concerned - they are selling 1% more (1 extra over the 70).
Pentax has 10.12% of the DSLR market - up from 10%.
Yet Pentax has sold less.
it's not because a company leave a market, that this one shrinks. You are speculating about this.

Note that the ranking you get on BCN when clicking under each category is the same ranking - it bundles all categories - so I don't think they bundled SLTs with DSLRs just because you found an SLT in there.

About Mirrorless : it's a new market, that is growing, were a lot of money can be made, and there isn't big references (maybe the NEX-5 or 7 now ?). So lots of company tries to play in it.

About DSLR : company leaves it, because so far everyone was trying to build DSLR like Canon and Nikon. Pentax do something different. And that's the key point. They are not Canikon like, they are a different offer, with very different product : less lenses, "cheap" high end primes", very good ergonomics.

Pentax is growing thanks to that. i think.

Last edited by aurele; 02-01-2012 at 03:36 AM.
02-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Aside from the growth reasons pointed out, there is a glaring omission in the dslr market is shrinking argument. Reality is all camera sales are growing due to emerging markets. China has been gradually opening it's market to foreign goods. As the biggest market in the world by a huge order of magnitude it will cause category growth in all categories. market share may shrink in this scenario and still show growth.
India is another huge market that is developing at a rapid clip due to economic growth there (caused partially at least buy all the outsourcing that has gone there in the last decade)
When you view things from a euro or north american centric viewpoint you don't see the whole picture. While the US was once the largest economy in the world and you could judge success by looking at success in america that is changing rapidly.
02-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mirrorless cameras are eating not only from P&S market but also from entry level DSLR market. So, don't be so sure that the DSLR market cannot shrink. Many Canon users have purchased an X100 - that will at least delay the purchase of another camera body. I heard many statements from 5DII owners who said that they haven't used much their SLR since getting the X100. The X100 is not a MILC, but I am mentioning it as an example of another factor that can explain why the DSLR market might shrink.
So far mirrorless haven't stolen from DSLR's but from P&S. Of course the DSLR market will be saturated at some point and may even shrink. Most manufacturers cannot compete in the DSLR market; thats why they concentrate on the mirrorless marked instead (eg Sony) which is a new segment with potential for high marketshare. Nikon and Canon haven't entered this market yet significantly something that is a sure indication that their core DSLR market is thriving.
Any camera will potentially take customers from any other segment because they all fight for our money. But the idea that mirrorless is a replacement for the SLR is a false one (indeed we had mirrorless cameras before the SLR was invented); it is about a further fragmentation of the market.

02-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
So far mirrorless haven't stolen from DSLR's but from P&S. Of course the DSLR market will be saturated at some point and may even shrink. Most manufacturers cannot compete in the DSLR market; thats why they concentrate on the mirrorless marked instead (eg Sony) which is a new segment with potential for high marketshare. Nikon and Canon haven't entered this market yet significantly something that is a sure indication that their core DSLR market is thriving.
Any camera will potentially take customers from any other segment because they all fight for our money. But the idea that mirrorless is a replacement for the SLR is a false one (indeed we had mirrorless cameras before the SLR was invented); it is about a further fragmentation of the market.
This has happened somewhat in the past as well. SLR had a huge boom through the 60's and 70's. then High quality (and AF eventually) P/S cameras came along that produced acceptable images for most peoples needs. A lot of SLRs ended up in the closet while the p/s went everywhere. The SLR still dominated higher quality portable photography (Medium format the studio)
Then Digital came along. P/S thrived on size and price but Image quality alacked. DSLR dropped in price to affordable and people started moving up to get the better image again. Some didn't because of size/ price. Allong comes mirrorless (m4/3) which offers size and pretty quickly price as well garnering more p/s market.
Ultimately i thin mirrorless will take the lions share of the casual and mid amateur market, but for now it's gaining from P/S not DSLR. DSLR will for a long time control the majority of the enthusiast and pro market(in general a conservative market) with niches like the X pro filling in the gap effectively.
Medium format will probably stay much the same as it is now a niche category for the highest iq aimed mostly at studio work or demanding location work (the 645d niche)

Ultimately the DSLR market will shrink but there are other factors like 2 huge emerging markets (China and India) who between them have the market potential equivalent to the rest of the world combined. As their economies grow and the market opens in China's case there will be huge growth potential. Pentax is actually a good fit for that potential building smaller cameras with high value and utility (Asian hands being smaller - and it's been good for them in Japan)
02-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
You are speculating about this.
Yes, but at least I know I am.

Pentax is growing thanks to that. i think.
As you said:

You are speculating about this.
Without data, we are all speculating.
02-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Aside from the growth reasons pointed out, there is a glaring omission in the dslr market is shrinking argument. Reality is all camera sales are growing due to emerging markets. China has been gradually opening it's market to foreign goods. As the biggest market in the world by a huge order of magnitude it will cause category growth in all categories. market share may shrink in this scenario and still show growth.
India is another huge market that is developing at a rapid clip due to economic growth there (caused partially at least buy all the outsourcing that has gone there in the last decade)
When you view things from a euro or north american centric viewpoint you don't see the whole picture. While the US was once the largest economy in the world and you could judge success by looking at success in america that is changing rapidly.
We're mostly an internal consumption driven economy. Pentax is absent here, while Canikonpanalympus laugh all the way to the bank!

02-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far mirrorless haven't stolen from DSLR's but from P&S. .

The proof is in the pudding. The Mirrorless are bought by P&S customers so Pentax have targeted them squarely. The K-01 is basically a K-5 in P&S dress....
02-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
We're mostly an internal consumption driven economy. Pentax is absent here, while Canikonpanalympus laugh all the way to the bank!
Olympus is not laughing all the way to the bank lol
After all the mess this last year the one thing that stands out is one of the reasons for the loses is the camera division continues to lose money(and has for some time). Market share doesn't mean profit in all cases.
02-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
geeeee ... when i saw the K-01 the first thing i thougt was ... "why ? great lord ... why ?!!!!"
02-02-2012, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

This "third place for Pentax" fact reminds me an old joke we had in Soviet Union:

There was a competition where only two USA and USSR athlets competed. USA athlete won. USSR media announced: "our athlete finished in second place and American athlete finished next to the last"
02-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

geeeee ... when i saw the K-01 the first thing i thougt was ... "why ? great lord ... why ?!!!!"
Why is simple: It is targeted at P&S users. It is a bridge camera and entry into DSLR via the K-mount. The idea is that their next camera is a DSLR....
02-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
This "third place for Pentax" fact reminds me an old joke we had in Soviet Union:

There was a competition where only two USA and USSR athlets competed. USA athlete won. USSR media announced: "our athlete finished in second place and American athlete finished next to the last"

It isn't that simple. In my view theres a strong possibility for Pentax in the DSLR market. Theres definitely room for more than two players. Pentax can soon be in an unique position: having the most diverse interchangable lens camera selection of all. Nothing less!
How? With the Q, the K-01, The K-r replacement, the K-5 replacement, a K-1 FF and the 645D Pentax will have an extremely unique line-up. Nikon and Canon may have more models and more lenses (how many lenses do you need anyway) but the Pentax selction will be the most diverse.
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Canon offers 55 FF lenses, Nikon offers 53 FF lenses

I did not know this answer, you made my curious Pal, so I looked them up.

Canon offers 55 Full Frame Lenses:

SLR Lenses

Nikon offers 53 Full Frame lenses:

SLR Lenses

Pentax offers 7 Full Frame lenses:

SLR Lenses

Is what you are saying,
Pentax 7 Full Frame lenses are more "diverse"
than Canon and Nikon's combined 108 Full Frame lens options available in 2012 ?

Pentax will have an extremely unique line-up. Nikon and Canon may have more models and more lenses (how many lenses do you need anyway) but the Pentax selction will be the most diverse.

Last edited by Samsungian; 02-02-2012 at 09:23 PM.
02-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #45
Banned

The Mirrorless are bought by P&S customers so Pentax have targeted them squarely.
... and hit them with a brick between their eyes. That'll teach them!