Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
According to BCN : Pentax is the 3rd seller of DSLR in Japan :lol:

Hello everyone,

i've just read a post from Nikon Rumors Tamron sold more lenses than Nikon in Japan | Nikon Rumors

And if you look into the picture, it seems that in Japan, according to BCN (wich collect information from around 2/3 of the retailers) Pentax is the 3rd seller of "normal" DSLR with 7.5%.

It's a good news isn't it ?

(here is the BCN page : http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fr&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbcnra...d%2Fsokuhou%2F
i took the liberty of translating it in English.)

01-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, good news. Only trouble is that it is a distant 3rd and not a close third.
01-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Good news, but there aren't that many DSLR manufacturer left as both Olympus and Sony more or less stopped developing new DSLRs.
01-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think thats good news, partially because it represents a period where Pentax was going thru hard times.

I would have thought that Sony would have come in 3rd, being as they have a "full frame" and all. Sony's probably putting a lot of work into developing the NEX.

01-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sony DSLR are almost all in SLT category or Mirrorless.
01-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Banned

#3, being the last place, is a very secure position for Pentax

Note that the mirrorless sales show Olympus leading Panasonic and Sony. It would be nice to compare mirrorless sales with DSLR sales, but they don't have such numbers.
01-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Yes, good news. Only trouble is that it is a distant 3rd and not a close third.
An old axiom in marketing is there are 2 main competitors and everyone else.

01-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sounds nice, however I do not think Pentax should aim for mass market. With the latest development DSLR itself is more enthusiast market anyway.

The main advantage for Pentax are great lenses and I include old K, M, A and F primes. This is the reason I have switched from Canon gear to Pentax (trying Nikon in the process). Just the colors of Pentax lenses are way better for my like. And the body for me is not majorly important in any way. I bought new k-r but the reason was heavy discount, do not see really major difference in k-x, k-r, k7 and k5 for me. Probably will upgrade to k5 at some point or whatever Pentax has then.

If they keep up with nice new DA lenses with K01 they can have more market outside DSLR.

Just need to be carefull with next DSLR versions for k-5 we do not need major upgrades here except new APS-C sensor.
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Sony isn't moving much ground with DSLR (still on sale in 2011) and SLT.

I just looked into one salesfirm here, top 50 sales and only Sony A99 is on it, for pre-order.
Camera's | Koop uw camera online bij CameraNU.nl

Nikon had productionproblems. But good for Pentax. Growing to at least 10 % marketshare would bee great.
01-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Marketshare means nothing as long as you are making a profit, and DSLRs are very profitable. Apple survived for years at less than 10% of the market. They are now at almost 12% and dominate sales of high-end PCs and Laptops.
01-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #11

Apple has huge markups and margins on their best selling products (iPhone and iPad) and that's where they can extract the profit. Pentax doesn't have that luxury.
01-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Companies like Apple and Leica produce products that sell for far more than their FMV because they're marketed as totems to consumers that want to feel like they're part of some special exclusive club by virtue of a purchase. Yes, some users buy their products specifically for their utility but a decent percentage are trying to buy coolness or 'street cred'. Oftentimes I think people arguing that marketshare shouldn't matter to Pentax believe that Pentax can magically transform itself into a poor man's Leica, and maybe it can, with a much different marketing strategy and a billionaire owner willing to infuse large quantities of cash into the business until the marketing team has built the required brand awareness and cachet. But without that you're just a minor manufacturer of an increasingly commoditized product, which is a tough place to live. The smartest thing Olympus and Sony ever did was figuring out that busting their heads trying to out-Canikon in Canikon's backyard was a sucker's bet.
01-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Companies like Apple and Leica produce products that sell for far more than their FMV because they're marketed as totems to consumers that want to feel like they're part of some special exclusive club by virtue of a purchase. Yes, some users buy their products specifically for their utility but a decent percentage are trying to buy coolness or 'street cred'. Oftentimes I think people arguing that marketshare shouldn't matter to Pentax believe that Pentax can magically transform itself into a poor man's Leica, and maybe it can, with a much different marketing strategy and a billionaire owner willing to infuse large quantities of cash into the business until the marketing team has built the required brand awareness and cachet. But without that you're just a minor manufacturer of an increasingly commoditized product, which is a tough place to live. The smartest thing Olympus and Sony ever did was figuring out that busting their heads trying to out-Canikon in Canikon's backyard was a sucker's bet.
I agree to disagree with you both and Leica has started with excellent quality product before building the brand giving them the luxury to have huge margins now. And they still do high quality products.

Or for example Olympus Pen or fuji x100 - for quality products you always can have high prices. And you are absolutely right about the special club - the owners of high quality product.

I strongly beleive Pentax can do the same and it is not about markeing - it is about producing excellent quality product even despite the market pressure. This is why the market share initially is not important at all. Apple and Leica has started with new products having zero market share. Pentax has very good legacy and the reasons they are succesful now are quality products like K-5 and old primes like M 50 1.7 and the new DA 35 lenses.
01-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
all i see with this 7.5% of japan market share is that Pentax is growing slowly. And no matter what, that's good : more money means more things can be develop. And that's all that matter to me
01-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
all i see with this 7.5% of japan market share is that Pentax is growing slowly.
How can you tell growth from a single number? It is not clear that Pentax is growing. For example, in 2010, for total digital camera sales, Pentax was shrinking.

Even if 7.5% is better than previously reported DSLR sales numbers in Japan, keep in mind that the DSLR market itself may be shrinking. What we need to compare are percentages of the larger market including mirrorless and SLT cameras.