Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn72 Quote
Also would be nice to get ISO 50 since the shutter speed is limited to 1/4000 of a second.
Minimum ISO is a function of the sensor's full well capacity (and quantum efficiency), min. exposure time is a function of the shutter's slit size and travel speed. There is no correlation between the two.

Moreover, it just means the shutter is more like the K-r shutter while we slready learned the sensor is that of the K-5, i.e. has ISO 80 or 100.

02-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Minimum ISO is a function of the sensor's full well capacity (and quantum efficiency), min. exposure time is a function of the shutter's slit size and travel speed. There is no correlation between the two.

Moreover, it just means the shutter is more like the K-r shutter while we slready learned the sensor is that of the K-5, i.e. has ISO 80 or 100.
Which would be very tempting at this price point, since most of the competitors are at a base ISO of 200 (the NEX-5n being an exception).
I guess that going mirrorless is one way to avoid mirror box issues, now I wonder if the shutter blur problem will be resolved.
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #48
Forum Member

With my fast Takumar primes and living in sunny Spain its quite easy to exceed 1/4000 of a second if I am trying to get a shallow DOF shot.
Is there any reason why they cannot exceed 1/4000 of a second exposure? If not I guess there are always ND filters.
02-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn72 Quote
Is there any reason why they cannot exceed 1/4000 of a second exposure? If not I guess there are always ND filters.
Go for ND, it is especially useful for video.

Yes, 1/8000s and faster shutters require high mechanical precision and are expensive and/or heavy/loud.

Compute it for yourself: 1/8000s at 1/180s travel time is a slit size of 1/3 mm, just a bit thicker than a hair. And this size must be kept constant despite a non uniform curtain speed, as otherwise, exposure won't be uniform. A faster than 1/4000s shutter really binds money at the wrong feature. It is something else for an enthusiast camera with 100% viewfinder.

02-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Go for ND, it is especially useful for video.

Yes, 1/8000s and faster shutters require high mechanical precision and are expensive and/or heavy/loud.

Compute it for yourself: 1/8000s at 1/180s travel time is a slit size of 1/3 mm, just a bit thicker than a hair. And this size must be kept constant despite a non uniform curtain speed, as otherwise, exposure won't be uniform. A faster than 1/4000s shutter really binds money at the wrong feature. It is something else for an enthusiast camera with 100% viewfinder.
Thanks for the explanation, makes sense now.
02-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I too have longed for new long glass and am saving my pennies for a 600/f4.

But as I do so, I am beginning to wonder if technology might overwhlem the need for long glass. Potential customers besides the paparazzi, and the CIA have historilly been wildlife photographers. The mainissue over wildlife photography is the reluctance of the subject matter to have close encounters
with people. It would seem that the paridigmn on this may shift with the
increasing availablity of remote controls and robotics.'

I'mb beginning wonder if the wildlife enabled camera of the future won't be a remote controlled robot with a macro lens.

Indeed some of the competition isn't far from supporting that now.
Consider the new wireless remote control add on for a recent Nikon release....
it's a fallacy that you have to hhave long glass for wildlife shots. Have a look at the work of Ron Kruger form the forum. he shoots for a range of wildlife mags and if i'm not mistaken his longest lens in his regular kit is 200mm
(he uses 15, 35, 50, 100, 200 and is thinking of getting rid of the 50 )

his birds of prey gallery is below (and i doubt they are easy to approach)

Birds Of Prey - Images | Ron Kruger Outdoor Photography

A lot of the really blow you away nat geo stuff (like the birds diving in the water to fish) are already being done through ir triggers)
the best way to get wildlife though is patience and not smelling human
or just give the monkey the camera

Birds Of Prey - Images | Ron Kruger Outdoor Photography,
02-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #52
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it's a fallacy that you have to hhave long glass for wildlife shots.
...err, not really if you are visiting the national parks of Tanzania. One is only permitted to stay on the road/trail. With hundreds to often thousands of acres often between one trail and another, wildlife is often a blip on the sensor even @ 600mm. But then again, I'm not seeing any examples from a national park in Tanzania in the example you're linking to. Certainly if one can get close enough (have a great blind and not smell like a human as you mention), 200mm can do.
02-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
...err, not really if you are visiting the national parks of Tanzania. One is only permitted to stay on the road/trail. With hundreds to often thousands of acres often between one trail and another, wildlife is often a blip on the sensor even @ 600mm. But then again, I'm not seeing any examples from a national park in Tanzania in the example you're linking to. Certainly if one can get close enough (have a great blind and not smell like a human as you mention), 200mm can do.
The African safari is the exception to the rule I think. (Pro wildlife guys are likely subject to different rules (and probably pay for the right as well)
I just point out Ron frequently because the nature most of us will ever have a shot at photographing is what he shoots. Certainly a long lens has it's advantages though