Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
there is a rumored DSLR announcement, but i thought the KR replacement was more April time frame. I get the feeling this camera is the feature set, just add 100% OVF and PDAF and slam it in a traditional body type and add $50-$100 to the price
I am thinking K-01 plus a viewfinder too. Although at some level it'd make sense for it to be another mirrorless, with an electronic viewfinder, I think in 2012 it's not practical to make an EFV that's both good and cheap. So maybe it will be optical. However, can a mirror and pentamirror and focussing all be added for only $100 more in retail?

And where does this leave the K-5? It already seems like the K-01 will take better pictures than the K-5. The K-r replacement will do too. Where can they go with it? I am wondering whether the K-5 replacement will be full-frame. (And since it is easier to put a good EFV in an expensive camera, maybe it will be mirrorless, too.)

The alternative would be a 4-camera lineup, which given their comment to Amateur Photographer ("We have the K5, the KR, nothing in the middle and nothing above it") and Ricoh's declared intention to expand the business, is perhaps more likely. Certainly I don't see what could be above the K-5 other than full-frame.

02-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #62
Banned

MicroOLED introduces 5.4 million pixel camera display

A Pentax FF with a 5.4mp MicroOLED EVF by 2013 would be great.

QuoteQuote:
Digital camera technology has just taken a huge leap forward with the development of a microdisplay panel that's millions of pixels beyond what is currently used in the highly detailed electronic viewfinders of Fujifilm's most recent X-series cameras (X-S1/X-Pro1), and more than double the panels in Sony's latest alpha and NEX cameras. MicroOLED's new bright and detailed, low power OLED panel has been viewed by a number of industry pundits as the final nail in the coffin of the optical viewfinder.

Even though electronic viewfinders (EVF) allow photographers to access lots of important information like exposure or white balance while framing a shot, and see what the application of different settings will look like on the fly, professionals and serious users still seem happy to continue with optical. Reasons offered for sticking with tradition include a lack of dynamic range, noticeable lag while the digital image is processed and concerns about the power needed to drive electronic panels.

The image quality of Sony's recent consumer-level XGA OLED EVF panel developments, in particular, already seems to have stunned some of the critics into silence, but now MicroOLED has entered the fray with the highest pixel density OLED microdisplay available on the market today. The new 0.61-inch (diagonal) OLED panel has a 5.4 million pixel density and a sub-pixel pitch of 4.7 by 4.7 micrometers. It comes in both 16 million color SXGA (1280 x 1024 pixels) and monochrome (2560 by 2048 pixels) formats, and is also said to have eliminated any spacing between pixels and benefit from 96 percent uniformity.

The high resolution image reproduced on the display has a 100,000:1 contrast ratio that should pick up many of the subtle tones in a scene that are missed by other EVFs and, perhaps most importantly, it can be driven with as little as 0.2W of power.
02-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's why...

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
A Pentax FF with a 5.4mp MicroOLED EVF by 2013 would be great.

That's why I bought a K-r as a second camera to my K-5. Just trying to hold onto the last of the OVF DSLR's. EVF's still might not take over completely for a couple more model changes, but you never know.
02-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
I am thinking K-01 plus a viewfinder too. Although at some level it'd make sense for it to be another mirrorless, with an electronic viewfinder, I think in 2012 it's not practical to make an EFV that's both good and cheap. So maybe it will be optical. However, can a mirror and pentamirror and focussing all be added for only $100 more in retail?
You just described the K-r!

02-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote

And where does this leave the K-5? It already seems like the K-01 will take better pictures than the K-5. The K-r replacement will do too. Where can they go with it? I am wondering whether the K-5 replacement will be full-frame. (And since it is easier to put a good EFV in an expensive camera, maybe it will be mirrorless, too.)

The alternative would be a 4-camera lineup, which given their comment to Amateur Photographer ("We have the K5, the KR, nothing in the middle and nothing above it") and Ricoh's declared intention to expand the business, is perhaps more likely. Certainly I don't see what could be above the K-5 other than full-frame.

The K-5 has room to get better. It could have a better PDAF. A spot AF would be nice. Dual memory card slots. WIFI/Bluetooth wireless flash control. WIFI for intergation with smartphone/tables. Fasher flash sync. Sony 24MP sensor. Hybrid viewfinder using the Pentax patent from a few years ago or the transparent OLED that Samsung just announced.

I do see a three tier lineup with the K-01 being at the bottom the K-r being upspec to about the K-5 level and the K-5 replacement being even more upspec but still APS-C. Maybe Full frame in a year or two.
02-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #66
D0n
Banned

take the k-5 guts, stick 'em a kr body... you got your mid tier model...
keep the k-5 in the line up, add a k-5 with a newer 24 mp sony sensor and better video abilities (a la k-01 imaging processor) and you got your new k-1 or whatever top model... think evolution not revolution and it's pretty easy to guess what Pentax will come out with...
personally, I'd love to see the k-01's guts tossed into a mz5n lookalike retro styled d-slr.
02-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
take the k-5 guts, stick 'em a kr body... you got your mid tier model... keep the k-5 in the line up, add a k-5 with a newer 24 mp sony sensor and better video abilities (a la k-01 imaging processor) and you got your new k-1 or whatever top model... think evolution not revolution and it's pretty easy to guess what Pentax will come out with... personally, I'd love to see the k-01's guts tossed into a mz5n lookalike retro styled d-slr.
I like the wording. Very... angst-y.

Anyway, 4 camera models at once (K-01, K-(letter), K-5, K-?) may perhaps be too big for Pentax plants to manufacture at once.. and there are also P&S and the Q. Looking at how good the K-5 is though, I think it could still sell for a year or half more before any replacement can be announced (Ricoh BETTER design something really better than the K-5 to merit its position as Pentax's new "master").
02-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #68
Pentaxian

I thought that K-5 was the gift of God to mankind that why anybody need anything else, stains not withstanding of course.

02-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
That's why I bought a K-r as a second camera to my K-5. Just trying to hold onto the last of the OVF DSLR's. EVF's still might not take over completely for a couple more model changes, but you never know.
EVF's will not 'completely' take over until/unless they supercede OVF's in pretty much every way.

Look at it this way: you can still buy film, film cameras, etc., etc., it's just a much more limited selection and in general is limited to those areas where it makes sense (full format for landscapes, etc).

Personally I'll be fine either way. Eventually EVF's will be better than OVF's for what I do. When that happens I'll get an EVF camera. Until then I'll buy and use OVF.
02-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I thought that K-5 was the gift of God to mankind that why anybody need anything else, stains not withstanding of course.

It's a tough call, deciding what is the 'best development in the history of mankind'. It's either the k-5 or beer. I'd go with the k-5... but the k-5 gets greasy when I try to drink it while eating pizza.
02-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It's a tough call, deciding what is the 'best development in the history of mankind'. It's either the k-5 or beer. I'd go with the k-5... but the k-5 gets greasy when I try to drink it while eating pizza.
Yeah but you don't get hungover from taking too many pictures.
02-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Bump for international date line!