Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #136
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't see it being too hard to come up with a DIY viewfinder, though, especially for primes.
I'm going to suppose Adam is playing with us. At the end of the game we're going to be so hot, we'll all get at least a new K-01. As Adam said--the marketing that Pentax hasn't been able to do.
So, obviously, the K-01 has some kind of viewfinder.
(Without this supposition I'd go nuts checking this thread.)

01-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #137
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,778
Add to the news here :
PENTAX K-01 & smc PENTAX-DA 40mmF2.8 XS - Official Embargo Date: 2/2/2012
01-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #138
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Nice find! Looks promising, although it still doesn't say what XS stands for (eXtra Sushi ftw).

Edit: Looks like another confirmation of no viewfinder further down the page...just the LCD (credit to pinhole above for posting the question). Here's hoping they considerably improved the display lag from the K7/5.
01-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #139
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,980
Original Poster
For the record, info about the camera can't be posted prior to 13:00 CET, but I have a feeling some people will shave those hours off and just post the information as soon as it's Thursday somewhere in the world. Not us!

My guess is that XS stands for "eXtra Slim".


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #140
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The new 40mm say KAF mount and the person on there implies it will work with existing bodies.
Filter Diameter: 27mm... The existing 40mm lens has a 49mm filter thread.
I'm wondering if it will be lacking a focus ring...

They also say that the only viewfinder is the 3 inch LCD as the K-5 and that the body design should be rugged.
-The camera body is compact and trim whilst preserving all the functions of a professional camera.
-The materials convey quality and honesty.
-Machined aluminum and rubber provide user with a tactile and durable piece of technology.

I'll give it a +1 for mentioning professional camera and +1 for aluminum body. Maybe this will be to Pentax what the iPhone was to Apple?

I could see this as a decent sidekick to the K-5 considering I "dual wield" two camera bodies with prime lenses often at events. Assuming it does have more control in video mode (no I don't mean physical controls, I mean ISO and shutter speed manual control at least).
01-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #141
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nakhon Pathom, Thailand
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 108
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
The new 40mm say KAF mount and the person on there implies it will work with existing bodies.
Filter Diameter: 27mm... The existing 40mm lens has a 49mm filter thread.
I'm wondering if it will be lacking a focus ring...

They also say that the only viewfinder is the 3 inch LCD as the K-5 and that the body design should be rugged.
-The camera body is compact and trim whilst preserving all the functions of a professional camera.
-The materials convey quality and honesty.
-Machined aluminum and rubber provide user with a tactile and durable piece of technology.

I'll give it a +1 for mentioning professional camera and +1 for aluminum body. Maybe this will be to Pentax what the iPhone was to Apple?

I could see this as a decent sidekick to the K-5 considering I "dual wield" two camera bodies with prime lenses often at events. Assuming it does have more control in video mode (no I don't mean physical controls, I mean ISO and shutter speed manual control at least).
It is going to be difficult finding a filter for this lens on this side of the world. I can hardly find 40.5mm filters for Q and X10 already.
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #142
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 31
I wonder (after trying to reconcile all the various rumors into one cohesive idea) if this K-01 might have some sort of wide converter/ telecompressor in the mirror box space that would restore FOV/DOF characteristics of FA lenses. My understanding is that what held this up before was a Kodak patent. As we all know, Kodak sold/is selling their patents so maybe that allowed Ricoh to buy or license that patent. Come to think of it maybe Kodak's problems and sale of patents were what really held up this camera after all rather than the merger, natural disasters ect.
01-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #143
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
It is going to be difficult finding a filter for this lens on this side of the world. I can hardly find 40.5mm filters for Q and X10 already.
For sure, I'd have to look to see if they exist here as well. I do know it would be impossible to find locally.

QuoteOriginally posted by 1shot Quote
I wonder (after trying to reconcile all the various rumors into one cohesive idea) if this K-01 might have some sort of wide converter/ telecompressor in the mirror box space that would restore FOV/DOF characteristics of FA lenses. My understanding is that what held this up before was a Kodak patent. As we all know, Kodak sold/is selling their patents so maybe that allowed Ricoh to buy or license that patent. Come to think of it maybe Kodak's problems and sale of patents were what really held up this camera after all rather than the merger, natural disasters ect.
I highly doubt they would pull something so strange out of their magic top hat. All signs point to standard APS-C.

My guess so far:
- Basically a semi-downgraded K-5. It seems smart on various levels. They have more volume on parts and use existing technical assets. The K-5 specs are still solid.
- Lacks a viewfinder and magnesium alloy casing, but uses Aluminum that is more appealing than plastic for sure.
- Might have weather sealing...
- Keeps SR, K-mount, great 16mp sensor, speed of the K-5 (buffer, etc).
- Improves live-view focus speed and adds focus options for quicker area selection. Also improves on other things like video mode. Various firmware improvements.

What worries me is the 1/4000th maximum shutter speed mentioned in the rumor. If it is a minimal K-5, then it should have 1/8000th.... and if it did have 1/8000 it's already better than ALL mirrorless I care to look at out there at the moment. NEX-7... 1/4000th... Fuji PRO 1/4000th... etc. 1/8000th IS important with fast lenses outdoors when I want to maximize background blur. I don't see any reason they couldn't use the K-5 shutter unless they wanted to go cheap or go completely electronic.

Adam, feel free to hint at the true maximum shutter speed.

01-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #144
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,980
Original Poster
.

No more hints!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #145
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For the record, info about the camera can't be posted prior to 13:00 CET, but I have a feeling some people will shave those hours off and just post the information as soon as it's Thursday somewhere in the world. Not us!

My guess is that XS stands for "eXtra Slim".
CET? Here in SG we are quite a few hours earlier than that
01-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #146
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hidden content may not be quoted.

No more hints!
Oh... so "always in focus" and assuming at hyperfocal distance. That's odd at such a long focal-length. Isn't the 40mm around 3 meters / 5 feet?

You can probably expect 24 hours of being pestered, can you hold out? It might be better if you take a short vacation from the forum, eh?
02-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #147
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No more hints!
Huh, the sensor does the focusing???

Because I cannot see how a 40mm f/2.8 lens (60mm eq. on FF) can be made panfocus without being stopped down a lot.
02-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #148
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,426
Panfocus lens?
Adam, come on... saying such jokes with a straight face!
02-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #149
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,778
Personally I'm a bit disappointed that it has no EVF or OVF.
Certainly falls off my "BUY NOW WITHOUT A DOUBT" list.
But I'm really trying to reconcile this in my mind, because when I used a GF1 which had no built-in OVF/EVF, its was a joy to use for its simplicity in approach to taking photos.
Now this K-01 is exactly that (GF1) with APS-C and an array of K-mount lenses I can use, topped with SR and lots more from a Pentax camera.
In fact it more like a EP3 but APS-C.
To me, focusing aids (eg. peaking) and the new lenses will help seal the deal for me.
02-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #150
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,980
Original Poster



Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
countdown, forum, k-01, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
log outs newarts Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 08-22-2011 03:43 PM
Nature Turtle Log tim.anderson Photo Critique 2 05-18-2011 08:27 AM
POTW 152 6 February - 20 February drugal Weekly Photo Challenges 60 02-20-2011 02:26 PM
Picture of the Week 102: February 14, 2010 to February 28, 2010 photolady95 Weekly Photo Challenges 57 02-27-2010 08:28 PM
Picture of the Week 101: February 7, 2010 to February 21, 2010 netuser Weekly Photo Challenges 63 02-24-2010 08:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top