Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #241
Veteran Member

The silver k-5 got another grip... and why is there no K-5 sign on it?

02-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
No kidding. There I thought I've been cured. The thing is too small not to buy. As for the body, not so sure yet.
if it works with the dslr but is only available with the K-01 i might buy a K-01 just to get it myself

If they do 21 and 70 variants i'm in trouble
02-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
if it works with the dslr but is only available with the K-01 i might buy a K-01 just to get it myself

If they do 21 and 70 variants i'm in trouble
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Then I will probably sell the body on eBay.

I am a bit worried about this set up for Pentax. The more I look at this body, the better Fuji looks to me. I will reserve my final judgement until I can check out the IQ on prints though.
02-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #244
Veteran Member

I will reserve my final judgement until I can check out the IQ on prints though.
It's the same sony sensor that's in the K5, isn't it? If so, the final judgement on IQ has been made a long time ago...

02-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #245
Veteran Member

I am a bit worried about this set up for Pentax. The more I look at this body, the better Fuji looks to me. I will reserve my final judgement until I can check out the IQ on prints though.
I wouldn't compare it with the Fuji different league altogether. Fuii with 1 lens is $2300 or so, this will be $8-900. You could have this with 21-40-70 for the price of the Fuji with one lens. for the Fuji with 3 lenses you could add a K5 body for SLR needs and still have a bit of change. Not to know the fuji because i think it's a beautiful little camera, just a whole different market. If they release a FF Mirrorless at Photokina then i would expect it to take on the Fuji (and win on many levels lose on others)
02-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
It's the same sony sensor that's in the K5, isn't it? If so, the final judgement on IQ has been made a long time ago...
Well, if that is the case, why not get a k-5 for $750 US? I don't see this being priced lower than that. No?
02-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #247
Veteran Member

Well, if that is the case, why not get a k-5 for $750 US? I don't see this being priced lower than that. No?
Well, if you can get a K5 for $750 - let us know where

On price, no one is sure yet - could it be cheaper, yes it could be, especially if they are not using the magnesium alloy for the internal construction. Also, depending on how many they will first manufacture will also determine price - and lets not forget, the sony sensor is now aged a little and has been mass produced, I am sure the sensor cost is down by now.

Lets hope we see pricing details in the next day or so...

02-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #248
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The design. Which may not be immediately apparent, but cameras can be pretty technical devices -- which many people find intimidating. Then add to that the general snobbery in the photography community . . . Well, something straightforward like this design will appeal to people who want to upgrade from a point and shoot without all the fuss surrounding SLRs.
02-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
The design. Which may not be immediately apparent, but cameras can be pretty technical devices -- which many people find intimidating. Then add to that the general snobbery in the photography community . . . Well, something straightforward like this design will appeal to people who want to upgrade from a point and shoot without all the fuss surrounding SLRs.
Gee you just defined the Target market. You are right of course. Enthusiasts and pros are not the target so most of us (enthusiasts) and the people who frequent and post on all the sites (also enthusiasts) aren't who it is aimed at and are likely to be the omnes slagging it and comparing it to a camera more than twice it's likely price (Xpro) and lament Pentax didn't make it full WR with an f1.2 pancake lens and mag alloy body....... all things the P&S customer doesn't even want to know.
Being able to advertise a mirrorless with the biggest assortment of fully functional AF lenses available for it of any brand is a big thing - sure most people will maybe have 2 or 3 lenses top - but the idea they can get as many as they may need is a powerful statement Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, Fuji and Olympus can't make at the moment
02-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Well, if you can get a K5 for $750 - let us know where

On price, no one is sure yet - could it be cheaper, yes it could be, especially if they are not using the magnesium alloy for the internal construction. Also, depending on how many they will first manufacture will also determine price - and lets not forget, the sony sensor is now aged a little and has been mass produced, I am sure the sensor cost is down by now.

Lets hope we see pricing details in the next day or so...
Wow. Just FYI - Samy's sold them for $750 about a week or so ago. Sold out the same day but it appears to have been a legit sale.
02-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Wow. Just FYI - Samy's sold them for $750 about a week or so ago. Sold out the same day but it appears to have been a legit sale.
they pulled it pretty quick but they honoured the orders placed prior to that was my understanding. Knowing the cost structure aof these things from my previous job and based on the current retails on a k5 i bet Sammy's lost money on every unit
02-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gee you just defined the Target market. You are right of course.
Mt wife still thanks me every once in a while for the A40 I got her for her birthday, what, three years ago? She wouldn't even want to change lenses.
02-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #253
Veteran Member

For me the Olympus D-OM is looking better all the time. The K-01 is targeted for the intro-level which the Fuji Pro and the Olympus D-OM is targeted at the high-end.
02-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
For me the Olympus D-OM is looking better all the time. The K-01 is targeted for the intro-level which the Fuji Pro and the Olympus D-OM is targeted at the high-end.
yep, though i would expect Ricoh plans a higher end once this sells for a bit and they sort the rest of the line they have planned
02-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yep, though i would expect Ricoh plans a higher end once this sells for a bit and they sort the rest of the line they have planned
Everyone please take a deep breath. Think like a business, not an enthusiast. Remember Hoya. Thank Ricoh, for by the grace of God we are saved.

Think of Q and K-01 as steps on Ricoh's long-term product Roadmap.

What technology is in the camera that translates to other cameras? What technology in the pipeline might not yet be perfect, but, when released in a later camera, (K-r mirrorless?) can be applied to an upgrade of this (and the Q) or a (whisper) FF?

I hope they sell 10,000,000 of these cameras that we all seem to have some problem with.

I spent $1,400 on legacy gear just last month. I could buy/try/sell this (and I might) or I could buy it for my wife to upgrade her A40 and let her use some of my lenses - but I couldn't do that with the Fuji.