Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You will see on the 2nd why I said that

If you ask me, the K-01 is fair competition with the Fuji X-pro.
Hope! Dear hope!

QuoteQuote:
The X-Pro 1 also features the Hybrid Multi Viewfinder which allows you to switch between optical and electronic viewfinders. When an XF series lens is mounted to the camera the viewfinder magnification and frame size are automatically adjusted for immediate shooting. The optical viewfinder provides the brightest viewing image and keeps shutter lag to a minimum, while the electronic viewfinder provides focus confirmation, exposure information, white balance information, and depth of field indicators, as well as a "Live View" of your composition.

01-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is an absolute 100 % plus for Pentax. Anyone with some lenses or still carrying a K10D or so could just jump into mirrorless!
I could buy an adapter for m43 or NEX and do the same thing.
01-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fair enough. I always added (or tried to add) my disclaimer "if I don't miss something"
01-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The appeal of K-mount lenses gains Pentax a minute market share while alienating the other 95%. Since the rumoured camera is large and heavy compared to the competition, it needs something more to distinguish it. (Actually, that alone is enough to doom it, but let's be generous for a moment.)

Now we know that it won't have a super-amazing EVF like Sony. It's highly unlikely to have the video chops of Panasonic. Won't have the Leica appeal of Ricoh. Will Pentax suddenly gain focus peaking? That will put them only on-par with Sony and Ricoh. Will they suddenly get a tilt screen? Will their exposure accuracy improve to Olympus levels? Will their AF speed match Panasonic?

All of this is playing catch-up. The camera needs all this and more to succeed in a crowded market.

Last time I decloaked I was optimistic. Now I'm with Falk.

We watch and we wait.

01-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a camera, and it's a Pentax
Preordering now.
01-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #66
Veteran Member

If you ask me, the K-01 is fair competition with the Fuji X-pro.
I trust you and I hope you are fair in your assessment with Fuji X-pro 1. You know, it is very difficult to find the counter-argument with the absence of view-finder of any kind. I hope there is something in the new camera that makes up the lost of a view-finder. And with the leaked spec on weight and dimensions, it is harder for me to find it competitive as you have suggested. I am all hopeful that many of us are wrong about the K-01.
01-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
top mounted live-view or hot shoe? gif too blurry!
Hot Shoe AFAICS. And a pop-up flash and a red SR logo. There seems to be no room for the EVF. I can confirm that the gif is the real thing. No visible Ricoh logo and less brick-shaped than the tentative drawings we have seen here. I hear it looks more ugly real than in the blurry image.

Theoretically, just as a remote possibility, the black bulge (hot shoe and pop-up flash) in the gif (where used to be the prism) could be detachable. I don't think so, but I've a hard time to imagine how it could compete with X-Pro 1. To be clear: this possibility is pure speculation from my part and I am 99% sure it is wrong.

Last edited by falconeye; 01-31-2012 at 05:52 PM.
01-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #68
Veteran Member

No matter what it is...

No matter what it is, what features it has or doesn't have...

It's better than 'Q' !

01-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

No matter what it is, what features it has or doesn't have...

It's better than 'Q' !

The girls will disagree with you!
01-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish I knew how to view my cache - oh damn - I think my cache is cleared when I close my browser.
01-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #71
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
What's the deciding factor that makes a lot of people go for Pentax? That's all I'm saying until Thursday. And for the record, the news post is being written as I speak

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #72
Veteran Member

*edit - i am a fool that cannot read dates*

Ah nevermind. I guess what got me to the k-x was that it had one of the best sensors on a entry level camera, the Pentax lenses didn't need SR and thus were cheaper, and I can use those older lenses without any problems. Not sure how these are going to apply for the k-01 =p
01-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Hot Shoe AFAICS. And a pop-up flash and a red SR logo. There seems to be no room for the EVF. I can confirm that the gif is the real thing. No visible Ricoh logo and less brick-shaped than the tentative drawings we have seen here. I hear it looks more ugly real than in the blurry image.
I dunno, there's at least 3 "things" going on up top. A knob, something in the center, the flash bump, and then another protrusion on the right . Other than than, it looks more or less 'SLR shaped' like most modern cameras -- so if there's something about this camera that's "unlike anything else" it remains to be seen what it is. "Beauty" on the other hand is always going to remain in the eye of the beholder.
01-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #74
Pentaxian

What's the deciding factor that makes a lot of people go for Pentax?
Contrarianism? Masochism? Availability in a variety of bright colors?

I give up.
01-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #75
Veteran Member

A K-mount, weather-sealed, viewfinder-less MILC. Bummer.