Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's the deciding factor that makes a lot of people go for Pentax?
I thought the problem was that not a lot of people went for Pentax.

Keeping the K mount for this sounds good for current Pentax users with lots of glasses (not that many, relatively speaking), but I am not sure how good that is as a business strategy.

Does anyone know who this camera is intended for? Not k-5 users, I imagine. K-r users with lots of glasses (dont think there are that many)?

01-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote

Keeping the K mount for this sounds good for current Pentax users with lots of glasses (not that many, relatively speaking), but I am not sure how good that is as a business strategy.

Does anyone know who this camera is intended for? Not k-5 users, I imagine. K-r users with lots of glasses (dont think there are that many)?
istD users? K100D, K10D, K20, K200, MX ME K7 users etc. etc etc? I bet there are a lot out there who haven't upgraded yet...

Maybe. Or not.
01-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's the deciding factor that makes a lot of people go for Pentax? That's all I'm saying until Thursday. And for the record, the news post is being written as I speak
Value, SR, and compatibility (and the FA limiteds for some). The K-01 seems to have all three, as long as no VF doesn't wash out the value.

Perhaps a hotshoe EVF will be announced with the camera...I'd be OK with that given the suggested price.
01-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Well!, it's meant for anyone who wants a choice of thousands of lenses without having to wait for them to be developed, including many small lenses like these

What other camera company offers this many small lenses for their mirrorless? (this does not even include the 40/2.8 pancake, 50/1.4 and some others) or even the larger ones that would work without an adapter?

It will not attract anyone wanting the smallest camera, but it will definitely attract those who want a choice of lenses for their mirrorless and those who value the combined size of camera and lens.

01-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #95
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Perhaps people who want the K-5 but can't afford one? Or users who want a point-and-shoot with DSLRs level IQ?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Only issue I find with this camera - it'll attract a new crowd to buy lenses that I want to get on the used market
01-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Only issue I find with this camera - it'll attract a new crowd to buy lenses that I want to get on the used market
Nobody who gets a viewfinderless 16mp APS-C camera is going to compete with you for those lenses. I just wonder who's going to buy a point-and-shoot that's as heavy as a regular entry-level dslr when he can add a couple of hundred of bucks, maybe less, to get, say, a Nikon D5100, if not a K-r. (D5100 has the same Sony sensor as K-5 and D7000. Ok, it has a crippled mount and no SR, but it features a damn VF.)

Last edited by causey; 01-31-2012 at 07:48 PM.
01-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
You don't miss much. Though few of us get a copy of the gif, it is just too small to tell anything substantial. We don't see any viewfinder. The two knobs on the right side of the camera is intriguing. The little protruded mount is still quite flushed with the pancake lens assuming it is the 40. The dual color toning really looks like the optio as in this picture on the Optio Z10

Cheers,
I think I'll cancel my pre-order.
01-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Maybe the K-mount is uncrippled? That would certainly add some value to the camera, and I'm sure it would be easier to get all the necessary mechanics in there without the mirror assembly and supporting electronics? I doubt it, but it's just a thought.
01-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #100
Veteran Member

K 01 Specifications

Well, I've gone from being somewhat excited to somewhat not so excited and I haven't even seen the new camera as yet. If it doesn't have a viewfinder and is using the same screen as the K5 as a viewing screen then I am quite disappointed. Even Adam's comments re lack of EVF is an indication that he is not feeling too positive re the K 01. Am I missing something here?. I was actually hoping that we would see something the like a large K mount Q or a retro body look.

Maybe the possible launch of a new DSLR later on in February as hinted in another thread is what I should be focusing on.
01-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #101

Can it really compete with the X-Pro 1?

I sure hope the K-01 has an integrated viewfinder. Without this feature it may struggle to compete with the Q.

The X-Pro 1 has not one, but two beautiful viewfinders. Folks may think that 'retro looks' were responsible for the high X100 sales, but as an owner of the camera I can attest that the hybrid viewfinder is the real strength behind Fuji's current success.

I really hope that Pentax can pull this off but don't believe they can succeed without a killer viewfinder.
01-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
What other camera company offers this many small lenses for their mirrorless?
Eh, Leica, perhaps? In the next few years, Fuji will.

I used to own every single DA ltds, and now only left with DA35 ltd. I am not sure if having many lens option is that big of a deal . . . If anything, it is liberating only to have 2 or 3 lenses.
01-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Well!, it's meant for anyone who wants a choice of thousands of lenses without having to wait for them to be developed, including many small lenses like these

What other camera company offers this many small lenses for their mirrorless? (this does not even include the 40/2.8 pancake, 50/1.4 and some others) or even the larger ones that would work without an adapter?

It will not attract anyone wanting the smallest camera, but it will definitely attract those who want a choice of lenses for their mirrorless and those who value the combined size of camera and lens.
I beg your pardon? It's hardly any smaller than my *ist DS.
01-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Don't delay, buy them NOW

On the other hand, don't worry; if it does not have an eyelevel viewfinder, it will not be the most popular model.
01-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #105
Pentaxian

Even without a viewfinder, I think this camera will have a lot of merit. Think of it- it's a Q with a proper sensor and proper lenses; no other mirrorless natively supports as many lenses because the K lineup is simply huge. I wonder how the price will match up to that of the Q (or do I? ).

My biggest complaint with the Q is that it was no better than a high-end point-and-shoot in terms of easy of shooting or image quality. I'm sure the K-01 will change that.
You will see on the 2nd why I said that

If you ask me, the K-01 is fair competition with the Fuji X-pro.

You have me worried and excited at the same time with these 2 comments.
I opted for a G3 over a EPL3 for precisely the reason of a lack of built in EVF on the EPL3, though I determined that the EPL3 was probably better otherwise.
But your comments that its fair competition to the X-pro1 does make it fill very bug shoes indeed.

What's the deciding factor that makes a lot of people go for Pentax? That's all I'm saying until Thursday. And for the record, the news post is being written as I speak
Small and good primes?;
K-mount compatibility (thats a given at this point for K-01);
Well featured (I've no doubt);
A MILC version of a K5 would already be very good if its at the price point of Kr.
If there are new nice/small/affordable lenses to go with it, I can see it a match to a NEX5n (and perhaps X-pro1 except the viewfinder part)

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
For everyone talking about the X Pro 1: it costs $1700!!

If this new Pentax is coming in around the K-r's kit price, it'll be nearly $1000 cheaper!
Don't you realize the problem is that many ppl here want the best at 'the best cost' too
$1000 cheaper with DA ltd and new small lenses (hopefully at entry level prices); I think that would be a fair deal vs a Xpro1 for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Well, I've gone from being somewhat excited to somewhat not so excited and I haven't even seen the new camera as yet. If it doesn't have a viewfinder and is using the same screen as the K5 as a viewing screen then I am quite disappointed. Even Adam's comments re lack of EVF is an indication that he is not feeling too positive re the K 01. Am I missing something here?. I was actually hoping that we would see something the like a large K mount Q or a retro body look.

Maybe the possible launch of a new DSLR later on in February as hinted in another thread is what I should be focusing on.
The m4/3 back LCDs are often worse in resolution (pre-EP3), but they do fine.
If the K-01 has the same LCD resolution as the K5 one but better refresh rates, then its not as bad as you think.
Of course I hope for an EVF/OVF of some sort.