Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Nice find! Looks promising, although it still doesn't say what XS stands for (eXtra Sushi ftw).

Edit: Looks like another confirmation of no viewfinder further down the page...just the LCD (credit to pinhole above for posting the question). Here's hoping they considerably improved the display lag from the K7/5.
All credits to Frank

02-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #152
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's the deciding factor that makes a lot of people go for Pentax? That's all I'm saying until Thursday. And for the record, the news post is being written as I speak
  • Compatibility with hundreds of legacy lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Huh, the sensor does the focusing?
I'll preface by saying this is a crazy and unlikely idea..

...But what if this camera were to be compatible with even more lenses? Imagine being able to use an adapter without the use of an additional element that sacrifices image quality. What if flange focal distance were something that could be changed by a simple [perhaps even automatic] adjustment? A staple of multiple mirrorless cameras is the ability to [with an adapter] mount lenses from various brands. What if Pentax recognized this and capitalized on it?

[I am not sure how possible something like this would be, but would it not be impressive?]
02-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #153
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TAP Quote
Compatibility with hundreds of legacy lenses.
Exactly, that's the biggie. Affordability is the other half of the equation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
  • Compatibility with hundreds of legacy lenses.

I'll preface by saying this is a crazy and unlikely idea..

...But what if this camera were to be compatible with even more lenses? Imagine being able to use an adapter without the use of an additional element that sacrifices image quality. What if flange focal distance were something that could be changed by a simple [perhaps even automatic] adjustment? A staple of multiple mirrorless cameras is the ability to [with an adapter] mount lenses from various brands. What if Pentax recognized this and capitalized on it?

[I am not sure how possible something like this would be, but would it not be impressive?]
You could have a swapable mount. Like the GXR but instead of a whole module with the sensor etc. you just slide off the chassis section that holds the mount.

Removing the mirror box would allow for this. But it's not a great solution for many reasons.

02-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #155
Veteran Member

[Compatibility with hundreds of legacy lenses.] Exactly, that's the biggie. Affordability is the other half of the equation.
So, are you saying, it is focussing with the body?
02-01-2012, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #156

I can’t even comprehend why everyone is so worried about this camera not having a viewfinder!

It’s a new camera from Pentax and we should be happy about that!

There is nothing to say that Penatx can’t have several mirror less cameras (with and without EVF) like Panasonic and Nikon do. This may be a starting point for a range of bodies

I personally cant wait to get my hands on a K-01! I have been shooting with my Pentax-K 50mm f1.2 recently and have exclusively been using it with live view. Even on my K7 with its horribly laggy live view I get many more keepers than I normally do with the normal viewfinder.

All I can say is that I hope the K-01 is functional, affordable and will not take up to much room in the bag with the K5 replacement I intend on buying for my “serious” photography.
02-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mclarenman01 Quote
I can’t even comprehend why everyone is so worried about this camera not having a viewfinder!

It’s a new camera from Pentax and we should be happy about that!

There is nothing to say that Penatx can’t have several mirror less cameras (with and without EVF) like Panasonic and Nikon do. This may be a starting point for a range of bodies

I personally cant wait to get my hands on a K-01! I have been shooting with my Pentax-K 50mm f1.2 recently and have exclusively been using it with live view. Even on my K7 with its horribly laggy live view I get many more keepers than I normally do with the normal viewfinder.

All I can say is that I hope the K-01 is functional, affordable and will not take up to much room in the bag with the K5 replacement I intend on buying for my “serious” photography.

+1 to this

02-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
So, are you saying, it is focussing with the body?
Wasn't there talk a while ago of the possibility of further developing the SR system to move the sensor forward and backwards to, in effect, focus?
02-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #159
ogl
Banned

I don't want EVF. No OVF is not a problem at all. K-01 40 kit is good second camera for travel. I plan to buy it.

I'd like to see fast AF. it's all.
02-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #160
Veteran Member

Perhaps people who want the K-5 but can't afford one? Or users who want a point-and-shoot with DSLRs level IQ?
That's what the NEX 5N offers, at a $599 price point. With EVF as an option. So, only point then is to keep a K mount lens' AF capability. A bit lame for any of the big five photographic companies going mirrorless.

Moreover, AFAIK, the same camera but as a dSLR (K-r replacement) will launch at CP+ just a few days after.
02-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's what the NEX 5N offers, at a $599 price point. With EVF as an option. So, only point then is to keep a K mount lens' AF capability. A bit lame for any of the big five photographic companies going mirrorless.
A bit lame indeed, but still unique as this is the only mirrorless with the most -new!- lens options available while retaining AF and metering. A pretty interesting move and it is definitely not a "me too" camera. If it's successful there may be a K-02 with EVF right around the corner...
02-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #162

It’s a new camera from Pentax and we should be happy about that!.....
Agree! This could be a big boost for the K-mount! I also read somewhere on this forum:
QuoteQuote:
The K-mount mirrorless offering from Pentax will be announced with 3 new lenses, as well as, have compatibility with all FA lenses with the “exception of a few.”
I wonder if that means it only works with screw-driver APS-C lenses, and not lenses with a built in HSM motor? I would guess they can optimize the autofocus motor in the camera to "step", so it works with crew driver autofocus lenses, but you need dslr type focusing with HSM motor lenses because the motor doesn't "step".

The 10mm depth 40mm pancake sounds like fun, as does the camera. I hope they also eventually fill the gap with a pancake in between the 21mm F/3.2 and the 40mm F/2.8. I vote for a 28mm F/2.4 (or whatever aperture it has to be to fit in a 25mm depth, but the faster, the better).
- Shel
02-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #163
ogl
Banned

EVF is easy to make later, I think... But to make EVF with low resolution is no good. To make EVF with high resolution is expensive...
02-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Then why are the Canon 5D MKII and 7D so popular for video? I think the question would be better as "Why would most people need an EVF for video when they have an LCD screen and HDMI out?"
5DmkII (and partly 7D) are used with external EVFs mounted to a rig via HDMI. But this is expensive, clumsy, heavy and not anymore state of the art. Pentax wouldn't be able to compete in this pro market, except if the camera excels at something else. So, a better comparison are µFT cameras seriously used for video and they all feature an EVF.

I wonder if the Q's OVF will work with the K-01. Same hotshoe, after all, and same corresponding FOV as the kit lens.
The Q's VF is a hot-shoe mounted OVF.

Such items are compatible across all brands.

There even is a Leica/Samsung branded one (for the LX3 clone). And some old German products too, designed decades ago. I know somebody who wanted to solve the "unusable in sunlight" problem for the LX3 and used it with external OVF. The person returned it and is now using a hoodman loupe to watch the rear LCD in sunlight. It works, but it is very ugly. You really don't want a camera w/o an eye-level VF above $150 ...

QuoteOriginally posted by 1shot Quote
I wonder (after trying to reconcile all the various rumors into one cohesive idea) if this K-01 might have some sort of wide converter/ telecompressor in the mirror box space that would restore FOV/DOF characteristics of FA lenses. My understanding is that what held this up before was a Kodak patent.
Clever idea, but would compromise the image quality. It is known from astro photography where the long scope focal lengths are reduced and FoV widened, typically by 0.7x/1.4x. It's called "focal reducer" and hardly protected by patents. The idea is as old and universal as a tele converter is.

I am 99.9% sure the K-01 doesn't have this.

What if flange focal distance were something that could be changed by a simple [perhaps even automatic] adjustment?
Another clever idea. I am 99.9% sure the K-01 doesn't have this.

Are we already so desparate to assume such fancy features to rescue our hopes?

There is nothing to say that Pentax can’t have several mirror less cameras (with and without EVF) like Panasonic and Nikon do. This may be a starting point for a range of bodies
You're right if this is the story which Pentax will tell upon launch.

But this is not what Pentax as we know it will do.

So, what remains is Pentax' first shot to enter the mirrorless market. And normally, a company only has one shot to enter a new market. After this shot, it is an accepted player, or ruled out for a long time.

IMHO, the dSLR-sized K-01 w/o an EVF is something a serious manager should have never allowed to happen as Pentax first (and maybe only) shot.

So, let's just be optimistic that the market listens when Pentax tries next time. But wait, it's already the second time, after the Q ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
If it's successful there may be a K-02 with EVF right around the corner...
If hope for the successor is the association, then this is no good sign ...

Last edited by falconeye; 02-01-2012 at 02:56 AM.
02-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #165
Forum Member

the most important piece of equipment is..the viewfinder