Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
EVF is easy to make later, I think... But to make EVF with low resolution is no good. To make EVF with high resolution is expensive...
Doesn't Ricoh already make an EVF for the GXR. At least on par with the oly and panasonic ones. I imagine a variant could be put out pretty quickly for the panasonic. the real trick will be how good the focusing aids are for MF lenses. the GXR is good apparently at this (copared to Oly and Pana) and the NEx peaking is also apparently very good (it needs to be they have so few good lenses for it )

02-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
But in most cases an EVF is going to be further away in quality from the photograph than an OVF is isn't it?

And an EVF is only WYSIWYG if you only ever view the photo on the EVF. View the photograph on any other device and it's no longer exactly the same (by definition).
EVF lack contrast and lags. but it is a compositional and focusing aid. For that it works, if you want to see what you are getting OVF is a closer approximation (there are way too many variables in exposure choice for it to be WYSIWYG
02-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
But in most cases an EVF is going to be further away in quality from the photograph than an OVF is isn't it?
Not really. An EVF should be able to approximate exposure, DOF, and any per-processing effects you might want -- like black and white. OVF, assuming it's an SLR, is good at eliminating parallax -- and has some marginal utility in DOF preview (personally I find it useless). But that's about it. It's a great design solution for film, but we don't use film anymore.
02-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Not really. An EVF should be able to approximate exposure, DOF, and any per-processing effects you might want -- like black and white. OVF, assuming it's an SLR, is good at eliminating parallax -- and has some marginal utility in DOF preview (personally I find it useless). But that's about it. It's a great design solution for film, but we don't use film anymore.
I disagree. The advantage of EVF is that you see more like what the photo will look like. Don't tell me you see exactly the same thing, you know this is BS. That would need a perfect match between sensor and AVF and you won't get that.

As for OVF, you may forget that you can see in an OVF something you can NOT see in an EVF, if the EVF reflects the exposure. (too high or too low lights). You need to change your exposure to see it with an EVF, but then you deviates from the photo you wanna take, have to go back and... Taht sucks isn't it ?

It is actually the reverse for OVF, when you can't see someting in an OVF, well... you'll never see it. An EVF can show ot to you if you change the way it displays the image. But you don't get the supposedly 'photo you will take' in the EVF anymore. So what's the point ?

Both are good at something and both should have their place.

02-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Last edited by frank; 02-01-2012 at 07:50 AM.
02-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
As for OVF, you may forget that you can see in an OVF something you can NOT see in an EVF, if the EVF reflects the exposure. (too high or too low lights). You need to change your exposure to see it with an EVF, but then you deviates from the photo you wanna take, have to go back and... Taht sucks isn't it ?
On some cameras (at least on my 7D) you can switch "exposure simulation" on and off, so the LCD either shows how the image will look with current exposure settings, or shows an image tweaked to be as easy to view as possible. So with exposure simulation off you can e.g. underexpose or overexpose intentionally while still retaining an image on the LCD that is usable.
02-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Not many cause a smart consumer would wait for reviews and sample images in the field
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Not always

Sometimes they will throw their smarts out the window to get the device in their hands to decide for themselves. Witness all the very accomplished photographers who bought the X100 pre-review.

I'm very careful, I wait for reviews... except for one time. I bought the K20D in a fevered fit of mouse-clicking as soon as it became 'available' on B&H in early '08. I had told myself to wait for reviews, and I was perfectly willing to wait and very calm about doing so... and then something happened when I saw a 'hey, B&H shows it as available!!!' post in this forum.
I have that same gene. It reveals itself when a lens I want but don't need shows up in the Marketplace without any PM's yet.

I bought one from you once that way. For a brief time it was the fastest FS/Sold thread in the history of the Forum.

02-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #188
Veteran Member

So I am looking at this other forum that someone posted a link to and on page 3 they show what appears to be the new 40mm XS and WOW is that SMALL!! I thought my 40mm pancake was already tiny!

And look at the second picture with the Pentax lenses....what are the 3 cameras in the front of the photo? The new K-01?

PENTAX K-01 & smc PENTAX-DA 40mmF2.8 XS - Official Embargo Date: 2/2/2012 - Page 3
02-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I tilt my computer monitor down and forward, I can see the ENTIRE camera !!

JP
02-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #190

little better

Name:  K01_B&B_flash_1.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  46.2 KB
02-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #191
Veteran Member

Ok I like what I see there!! Looks pretty sweet to me!!
02-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I'll give it a +1 for mentioning professional camera and +1 for aluminum body. Maybe this will be to Pentax what the iPhone was to Apple?
Don't forget the first iPhone wasn't even 3G. And we're on version 4 (or 5) in just a few years.

Letely I've been thinking I should get one of

THESE

Maybe I won't need one.
02-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
So I am looking at this other forum that someone posted a link to ...
Yep, there she blows.

I like the look of it. Complete with [almost] the old 'Pentax' font that used to be on the pentaprism of the MX etc.

Nice, and not too wild at all.
02-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #194
Veteran Member

Yes, it's the K-01. In three colors. Copied, cropped and resized [source link above]:

Last edited by falconeye; 03-19-2012 at 05:15 PM.
02-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #195
Veteran Member

mode dial, DOF preview, shutter release, a red button, a rear thumb dial, and two other buttons eh?