Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Everyone please take a deep breath. Think like a business, not an enthusiast. Remember Hoya. Thank Ricoh, for by the grace of God we are saved.

Think of Q and K-01 as steps on Ricoh's long-term product Roadmap.

What technology is in the camera that translates to other cameras? What technology in the pipeline might not yet be perfect, but, when released in a later camera, (K-r mirrorless?) can be applied to an upgrade of this (and the Q) or a (whisper) FF?

I hope they sell 10,000,000 of these cameras that we all seem to have some problem with.

I spent $1,400 on legacy gear just last month. I could buy/try/sell this (and I might) or I could buy it for my wife to upgrade her A40 and let her use some of my lenses - but I couldn't do that with the Fuji.
I think Q and K-01 have been on the roadmap since the Hoya days. At least they didn't kill them off.

As to selling 10,000,000 units, I am not sure. I bought into Pentax because nobody (at least around here in us) seem to have it . . .

02-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I think Q and K-01 have been on the roadmap since the Hoya days. At least they didn't kill them off.

As to selling 10,000,000 units, I am not sure. I bought into Pentax because nobody (at least around here in us) seem to have it . . .
Yes - clearly. But if this is in some way a parts-bin effort and we assume that Hoya crippled it, what will Ricoh do for the upgrade?

Also, Hoya seemed to like to exploit techjnology from one camera to the next (645 development to K-7, then 645). Maybe Ricoh will just go straight to the dream.

They won't sell 10,000,000 - those are Apple numbers. But I hope it is a hit.
02-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #258
Veteran Member

13CET? What's that in 'Merikan time?
02-01-2012, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
13CET? What's that in 'Merikan time?
Central European Tiome is GMT +1
Central "Merican Time is GMT +6

So if the Press thingie is at 13 CET I guess that's 1:00pm in Paris or 8:00 am in Midwest USA.

But then I'm just a "Merican. I'm probably wrong. Besides, by that time dpreview will have already panned it to the dustbin.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-01-2012 at 03:28 PM.
02-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #260
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think and think and think and think and think and ...

All I come up with is a K-5 with OVF removed, and similiar price comparing K-5 street and K-01 launch.

If I don't miss something.

+1

And the image shows a K-5/K-r with prism removed (flattened to house a pop-up flash) and probably no space for an EVF because the slot is occupied by the pop-up flash. At least, there seems to be a red SR logo.

Nobody wants to use a camera w/o EVF as a camcorder. To record the occasional video, ok, but not as a serious video camera. It would have been the EVF giving second life to K mount as a video system.

I have disagree with you about the EVF. When using slrs as video cameras, one always uses the LCD as a viewfinder. The alternative is to attach a monitor via HDMI. The evf does not come into play, at least with the current configurations of most slrs.
02-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Also, Hoya seemed to like to exploit techjnology from one camera to the next (645 development to K-7, then 645). Maybe Ricoh will just go straight to the dream.
Nothing to do with Hoya. Pentax have done this all the time. The 6X7 = Spotmatic; 645 = Super A: 645N = MZ-5; 645D = K-5 etc...
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Nothing to do with Hoya. Pentax have done this all the time. The 6X7 = Spotmatic; 645 = Super A: 645N = MZ-5; 645D = K-5 etc...
Thank you for supporting my point. Until recently the only SLR's I've bought new are the KX and MESuper, then I went away for 20 years.

02-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I have disagree with you about the EVF. When using slrs as video cameras, one always uses the LCD as a viewfinder. The alternative is to attach a monitor via HDMI. The evf does not come into play, at least with the current configurations of most slrs.
Only because -- of course -- slrs, by definition, have no EVF. You argue by using a logic tautology.
02-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #264
Veteran Member

Only because -- of course -- slrs, by definition, have no EVF. You argue by using a logic tautology.
Depends upon the kind of shooting. While on sticks or in stages situations with a dedicated focus puller, external LCD with features like focus peeking, zebras, etc is very useful. When on the move - run 'n gun - with the camera on a shoulder rig or some other type of support, EVF (for those cameras that have them, i.e., Panasonic GH2) can be useful.

dSLR users often use rear LCD loupes like this one:

You've got to remember that video is often locked down to 1/50 or 1/120 shutter speed, so camera support is critical. Some type of EVF creates another contact point, which helps greatly.

EVF or no, I'd be surprised if Pentax can attract people already shooting video with their Canons and Panasonics. That ship has already sailed for many folks...
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS

Lens Mount: PENTAX KAF Mount
Focal Length: 40mm
Aperture: F2.8
Minimum Aperture: F22
Lens Construction: 5 elements in 4 groups
Angle of View: 39°
Minimum Focusing Distance: 0.4m
Maximum Magnification: 0.13x
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9
Filter Diameter: 27mm
Maximum Diameter & Minimum Length: 62.9mm x 9.2mm
Weight: 52g
Coating: SP (Super Protect)

(No-one posted this yet?)
02-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #266
Veteran Member

Remember Hoya. Thank Ricoh, for by the grace of God we are saved.

Think of Q and K-01 as steps on Ricoh's long-term product Roadmap.

What technology is in the camera that translates to other cameras?
There is a valid point here. From what I hear from various sources (which may or may not be trustworthy), Ricoh has started to give breath to a near-dead Pentax it received from Hoya. I cannot go into details, but there will be a number of pleasing news this year ... The Q and K-01 seem to be projects Ricoh inherited from Hoya and did not cancel. Both projects are very modest, obviously, as we see by the missing K-01 EVF. I do even imagine that all Ricoh could influence in a short period of time was the involvement of an exterior designer, i.e., that Ricoh first needs to build up new R&D capacity which Hoya killed.

So yes, the positive bit in the K-01 is the story behind. We'll probably soon have an EVF camera with the best support for SLR lenses. At least, I assume Ricoh sees the K-01 as a market entry product and promise more than its last proposition.

And because full frame at Pentax no longer is a forbidden topic, I do acknowledge too that the K mount now is the only mirrorless mount which officially supports FF
02-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #267
Veteran Member

And because full frame at Pentax no longer is a forbidden topic, I do acknowledge too that the K mount now is the only mirrorless mount which officially supports FF
Besides Leica, you mean?
02-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's the deciding factor that makes a lot of people go for Pentax?
1. The low price of a full-featured camera. That's no longer true. A K-5 is not exactly a new model and it's still 900 Euro.
2. The low price of excellent lenses. That's no longer true either.
3. The relatively compact size relative to other powerful cameras. With the rise of mirrorless, that's now far from true.
4. Great ergonomics.
5. IBIS

Since only two of these are still factors, I've been recommending Pentax less and MFT more. One can buy a two-year-old MFT model for peanuts.

I take it, Adam, that you are referring to weather-sealing, which not a factor any inquisitive future camera buyer has ever mentioned to me. And I live in rainy Ireland. Why? It's simple. Most people do not feel the need to take photos in the rain. It's a niche market.

Last edited by rparmar; 02-01-2012 at 07:00 PM.
02-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #269
Veteran Member

There is a valid point here. From what I hear from various sources (which may or may not be trustworthy), Ricoh has started to give breath to a near-dead Pentax it received from Hoya. I cannot go into details, but there will be a number of pleasing news this year ... The Q and K-01 seem to be projects Ricoh inherited from Hoya and did not cancel. Both projects are very modest, obviously, as we see by the missing K-01 EVF. I do even imagine that all Ricoh could influence in a short period of time was the involvement of an exterior designer, i.e., that Ricoh first needs to build up new R&D capacity which Hoya killed.

So yes, the positive bit in the K-01 is the story behind. We'll probably soon have an EVF camera with the best support for SLR lenses. At least, I assume Ricoh sees the K-01 as a market entry product and promise more than its last proposition.

Hoya looks like it indeed killed R&D, but wasn't Hoya responsible for finally bringing out the 645D, and getting the sumptuous Sony sensor for the K-5 and responsible for the k-x which took Pentax sensor performance to a new level?

I have a feeling Ricoh is better, but one cannot totally blame a company that was responsible for the 645D, K-x and K-5? (unless I'm wrong with the exact timeline).

Pentax is indeed the only one supporting mirrorless FF with AF.
02-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Pentax is indeed the only one supporting mirrorless FF with AF.
Why would we want a mirrorless that front-focuses with auto-focus... seems like a bad idea