Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sure, which is why Canon brought 7D nad Nikon brought D7000. Really, those don't have anything to do with K7/K5 type of cams, do they?

On a marketing PoV maybe (and I'm not even sure, an FF Dslr done right, might as well) but Nikon uses the same sensors as Pentax.
Now Ricoh has a money to burn and money to help negociation against Nikon. Will the new situation change anything? Who knows?
Nikon is not going to change its line-up just because Pentax announces something. If Pentax announced a new DFA 85mm F/1.4 do you think Canon/Nikon/Sony are going to redesign their 85mm lenses? No. Pentax could announce a new lens every month for the next 2 years and still not have the lens line up Canon/Nikon. Pentax is 3 laps down. Nobody is really paying attention.

02-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #122
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If his latest lens would have been the FA 77/1.8, I would have said "yes!".

If he really did the DA* 55/1.4, however, I don't want another one of those.
This is a more complete list of his body of work. Did it ever occur that just maybe those Hoya boys pushed the release on the DA* 55? Even so, it still has its strong suites. Ricoh would be smart to bring back Hirakawa Jun.

QuoteQuote:
  • DA 10-17mm Fish-Eye
  • DA 14mm f2.8
  • FA ★ 24mm F2.0 AL
  • FA 28mm F2. 8AL
  • FA 35mm F2
  • DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
  • FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
  • DA ★ 55mm F1.4 SDM
  • FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
  • FA ★ 80-200 F2.8
  • FA ★ 85mm F1.4 (IF)
02-06-2012, 12:57 PM - 3 Likes   #123
Site Supporter

Not only did Jun Hirakawa singlehandedly develop all those lenses, he also chews broken glass and excretes perfectly-formed aspherical ED lens elements. He also invented breakfast, and was Eddie Van Halen's guitar teacher.

So yeah, it would probably be good to have him back in the Pentax camp. You don't want him playing for the other team, what with his high-powered infrared laser vision and all!
02-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #124

I fail to see how this is good news. Pentax Re-Hiring Engineers - if they were very good i'm sure competition would have hire them so far. In the last years those engineers have not designed that much lenses, did they?

02-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
I fail to see how this is good news. Pentax Re-Hiring Engineers - if they were very good i'm sure competition would have hire them so far. In the last years those engineers have not designed that much lenses, did they?
"Hey boss, should we make some new lenses?"
"Shut up, it's not your job to decide who makes what."

"Hey Canon, I hear you guys are desperate for engineers who have worked on lenses that are nothing like what you have?"
"...? No."
02-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Not only did Jun Hirakawa singlehandedly develop all those lenses, he also chews broken glass and excretes perfectly-formed aspherical ED lens elements. He also invented breakfast, and was Eddie Van Halen's guitar teacher.
no! you are talking about Chuck Norris....
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #127
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
Have you ever seen the two of them in the same room? I didn't think so.
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Yeah, the economy has been going gangbusters and supply can't keep up with demand. Oh, and there's no prejudice in Japan against people who are let go from their only employer. So, yeah why on Earth would we want the premier lens developer for K mounts in the past 10-20 years back!?!

02-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #129
Site Supporter

No, Chuck Norris carrie Hirakawa's brief case and round house kick's anyone in the head that questions it.
02-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #130
Site Supporter

We are talkling about the guy who did the FA 43 f1.9 and FA 77 f1.8 LTD lenses. That alone warrants rehiring him. Furthermore, Pentax hasn't released much since his departure except warmed over stuff of his work.
02-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #131
Pentaxian

No! He's talking about Ken Rockwell...
02-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #132
Veteran Member

The rendering of the FA31 doesn't appeal to me as much as the other two FA Limiteds for some reason. Although there is no denying it is an excellent lens. Interesting that it was not designed by Hirakawa.
02-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The rendering of the FA31 doesn't appeal to me as much as the other two FA Limiteds for some reason. Although there is no denying it is an excellent lens. Interesting that it was not designed by Hirakawa.
The 31 is probably so expensive because they had an army of engineers on it.
02-07-2012, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #134
Pentaxian

FYI: Mr. Hirakawa is the guy in my avatar. Bring him back please :-)
02-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #135
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Yes, it seems to be a star 24-90/2.8. A very expensive lens that does not make that much sense for APS....
I use the 28-75 tamron as my primary lens for indoor events with ok lighting. The focal range is good (maybe a bit long on the short end) for across the dining room table shots while having (barely) enough reach for across the room shots. So extending the range to be 24-90 would be very welcome by me though I have my doubts it would be a 2.8. I have a feeling that would be a pretty large lens especially if they weather seal it and give it SDM. It would also be a bit spendy