Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You can cope or you can save $200.00 and buy a Sigma 50mm F/1.4 and have faster quieter AF, with better performance from F/1.4-F/4. Why cope? Buy the better lens and save some money.

Unless size and weather sealing are your most important attributes. If anyone really believes Pentax is going to come out with a FF camera then they should not buy DA lenses.
Meh, I said I hope they will make a DA* that actually cover full frame sensor without vignette. NOT cope. Also, already own the lens you mentioned.

02-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a little asterisk on there that says that the lens roadmap may change "due to market conditions." I would think that would include the debut of a Pentax full frame camera.

Personally, though, I think people hoping for Pentax full frame should stop hoping and go get full frame from a company that actually has a full frame system. I think I'm going to take a look at this next round of full frame entries to see if I am enticed into buying into them (or into the old cameras they replace.) This system will then be added to be my Pentax equipment, which I still am happy with overall, especially if they bring out a professional successor to the K-5.

Of the lenses actually listed, that DA Limited zoom sounds the most enticing to me. Maybe the equivalent of those nice 16-35 f/2.8 lenses that Canon and Nikon have, but smaller of course.
02-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Who needs 550mm tele lens on APS-C?
02-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #64
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrok Quote
You need 1000 mm?

02-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think it would be an excellent lens for APS-C. There are far more 28-75mm lenses used on APS-C than FF. A 24-90mm F/2.8 would be an excellent walk around lens for a K-5.
I agree it would be a great lens on a K5 (or any other DSLR with grip) I have a 24-70 2.8 sigma and it weighs a ton so i rarely use it as a walkabout (It needs the grip to counterbalance it soyou end up with a pretty heavy kit for walkabout. Not as bad as My Medium Format but certainly not as walkabout friendly as my K7 with a small prime like the m28 3.5 which is my go to walk about setup (with a fast 50 in my jacket pocket just in case)
02-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The announced that there will be lenses released that work only on the aps-c mirrorless platform but the roadmap only shows the 40 XS. I wonder if that "Standard" they show will end up being a DA 50mm XS.
40XS and 50XS as the only two new-type lenses would be pretty dumb...
02-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #67
Veteran Member

The same people who have been using the 300mm on the Q.

02-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #68
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
40XS and 50XS as the only two new-type lenses would be pretty dumb...
They may have a series of lenses planned for release so they won't be the only type. Nor did I say that, you jumped to conclusions. Besides, current lens will work on the body. I merely wonder if the 50 would be an XS. That said, an argument could be made that replacing the FA 50/1.4 slow f4 or slower lens is dumb.

QuoteQuote:
We expect a larger series of XS lenses to become available in the near future; these lenses will be extra-compact and are said to only function with the K-01.

Last edited by Blue; 02-02-2012 at 10:09 AM.
02-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #69
Site Supporter

If it has wide enough aperture, wildlife folks and sports folks.
02-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The announced that there will be lenses released that work only on the aps-c mirrorless platform but the roadmap only shows the 40 XS.
I think "XS = mirrorless only" was wrong.

It would have made sense if it allowed for recessed or retractable K mount lenses. But look at the K-01 mirror box: it is blocked by shields rather than an empty space able to accomodate rear lens elements.

So, at least for the time being, it seems Pentax didn't even have the idea that they may eventually make the accoasional mirrorless wide angle lens or whatever.
02-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think "XS = mirrorless only" was wrong.

It would have made sense if it allowed for recessed or retractable K mount lenses. But look at the K-01 mirror box: it is blocked by shields rather than an empty space able to accomodate rear lens elements.

So, at least for the time being, it seems Pentax didn't even have the idea that they may eventually make the accoasional mirrorless wide angle lens or whatever.
I agree with you. I would just as soon use the DA 40mm LTD and be done with it.
02-02-2012, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #72

ME! and everyone who has a Sigma 50-500 etc etc...
02-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I thought that could so long tele meant to be for FF...
02-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #74
Veteran Member

A new lens roadmap is great and it is about time. The lack of new lens releases of lenses that I really want has cured my LBA.

In 2012 it looks like I will have to save money for the DA550. I do wish it was a DA*550 but anything longer than the DA*300 is welcome for wildlife photography.

In 2013 the Limited zoom lens has my interest and will most likely end up with one at some time. Still the zoom range seems to be a little strange at 22-38. The long telephoto zoom which looks to be a DA135-400 will be on my must buy list only because of its very useful range. Hopefully it will not be too slow and the image quality is better than the Sigma zoom. Like the DA550 I do wish it was a DA*135-400. The DA12-28 is another lens I should be interested in. I kind of wish it was wider. I still wish for the DA*11-16 and might end up with the Sigma 8-16. Still having the DA12-28 on the lens map will keep me from buying the Sigma until after the Pentax lens is released. The DA*16-85 is on my save the money for and get as soon as possible. Then there is the mythical 1.4X TC, why isn't it a DA* and why is it 2 year wait for it.

I am happy to see a road map and it does look like the K-mount has a future. I was disappointed that thre was a lack of DA* lenses (one), DA Limited lenses (one) and no DFA lenses. It does appear they are going for the low-end and mid-end user and still not giving the high-end buyer much. Then again if Pentax does release a FF camera there will be a new lens roadmap to show the upcoming DFA lenses.
02-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #75
Pentaxian

I thought that could so long tele meant to be for FF...
Lets hope so. However, it would work perfectly fine on an APS-C body.

The 500mm is one of the most frequently used lenses in my bag after the DA*16-50 and FA*80-200.