Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
Lose the bulky mirror, lose the phase detect AF, lose the bulky optical viewfinder, and gained...? Not very much?
Mirror loss does not give any size advantage because k-mount has fixed register distance, i.e. sensort must be at exactly the same distance from lens mount as in DSLR anyway. This means K-01 won't be thinner than Pentax DSLRs. Yes, it will be a little bit smaller in height, but overall size reduction should be small.

02-01-2012, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #62

02-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Mirror loss does not give any size advantage because k-mount has fixed register distance, i.e. sensort must be at exactly the same distance from lens mount as in DSLR anyway. This means K-01 won't be thinner than Pentax DSLRs. Yes, it will be a little bit smaller in height, but overall size reduction should be small.
Exactly. It's an absolutely stupid decision to make a mirrorless camera that uses K-mount. If this is Pentax's take on mirrorless, I want no part of it.
02-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Who told you that K-01 is small? K-01 isn't small. K-mount does not allow for camera to be small.
thats just FUD, guess you never handled an old Penax film camera, I had a funky MZ50 which is very small light and comfy, and thats with a mirror and VF,

02-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Exactly. It's an absolutely stupid decision to make a mirrorless camera that uses K-mount.
I disagree. Releasing a new mount with a shorter flange length was probably the right thing to do for µ4/3 and NEX which were early to the party. But coming this late, Pentax has to rely on their old customer base. Who have tons of K mount glass.
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Late 80's style. Look at that flash bump!!

Last edited by monochrome; 02-01-2012 at 04:47 PM.
02-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #67
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is doomed.

Ooooh I think someone already said that years ago, no?

02-01-2012, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

Exactly. It's an absolutely stupid decision to make a mirrorless camera that uses K-mount. If this is Pentax's take on mirrorless, I want no part of it.
I would not want an even smaller mirrorless with an adapter for my precious K-mount glass. If any, Pentax has shown a strong dedication for the K-mount. And it's true that this is by far the most extensive mirrorless system. Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus: eat your heart out
02-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Hadn't seen this one posted here or commented on. Looks like the screen of the K-r

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
02-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #70
Pentaxian

I'll ask it again: why so secretive about the rest of the back? What's hidden there?
02-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #71
Veteran Member

It's like the far side of the moon: cause for endless speculation until it turned out to be .... just as the boring people expected.
02-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'll ask it again: why so secretive about the rest of the back? What's hidden there?
Yes, they might be playing with us. People like me are posting that it would be great if only it had a VF and ... then it DOES have an EVF after all? Well, I guess we'll know tomorrow.
02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote

who cares, if it takes good pictures and is ergonomically fantastic
That was my second thought as well. It may look strange at first sight, but what counts is how well it serves its purpose as a tool.

Who cares if a screwdriver looks great, as long as it has good ergonomics and functions perfectly

By the way, have we seen the left side of the camera? What about the 'put the brick on a table in portrait mode' rumor? And the rumored second tripod mount...?
02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Wrong, it means you can have lenses protruding far far into the camera, particularly wide angles.
02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sweet! We made it all the way to Page 5 this time before busting out a full on K mount hate. I'm glad to see the usual Pentax K mount hate is still in abundance.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I'm hoping to hear this is weather sealed so that I can buy one. You know, one that goes with the glass I have no interest in replacing.