Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #76
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Releasing a new mount with a shorter flange length was probably the right thing to do for µ4/3 and NEX which were early to the party. But coming this late, Pentax has to rely on their old customer base. Who have tons of K mount glass.
Exactly. Size is also important from another perspective. Tiny mirrorless cameras like NEX visually present themselves as alternatives to compact cameras. Bigger ones, like the Fuji XPro1 or the Pentax K-01 evoke a different segment as their point of reference: Leica for XPro1, DSLRs for K-01.

02-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
Exactly. It's an absolutely stupid decision to make a mirrorless camera that uses K-mount.

You may be right...unless they wanted to leave open the option of building a FF version at some point in the future.
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #78
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Who told you that K-01 is small? K-01 isn't small. K-mount does not allow for camera to be small.
02-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I would not want an even smaller mirrorless with an adapter for my precious K-mount glass. If any, Pentax has shown a strong dedication for the K-mount. And it's true that this is by far the most extensive mirrorless system. Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus: eat your heart out
So far I actually like the entire concept - including the workaround to selling the K mount register distance - and I think it is attractive.

I was really looking forward to a WLF, though. Really.

This

was good enough for Annie Liebovitz for years.

02-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's still possible that the whole "hump" is replaceable... At least I hope so.
02-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #81
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I was really looking forward to a WLF, though.
I am glad you bring this up. When the rumor appeared that the k-01 would have "no eye-level viewfinder", a possible but neglected interpretation would have been "ah, so it may have a waist-level viewfinder". Well, some other time perhaps
02-01-2012, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #82
Inactive Account

give me that sweet sweet evf

Last edited by parsons; 02-01-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling
02-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
thats just FUD, guess you never handled an old Penax film camera, I had a funky MZ50 which is very small light and comfy, and thats with a mirror and VF,
I own MZ-5 and I absolutely love it from the size and control point of view. However DSLR can't be so thin as film cameras: in DSLR behind sensor you have all electronics, and LCD. It adds additional 1-1,5cm of thickness to DSLR compared to film SLR.
02-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1

I would not want an even smaller mirrorless with an adapter for my precious K-mount glass. If any, Pentax has shown a strong dedication for the K-mount. And it's true that this is by far the most extensive mirrorless system. Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus: eat your heart out
Couldn't agree with you more.

It seemed like when the Q was rumored everyone was down on their knees asking for it to be K-mount. People were even begging for a K-mount module for the GXR. Pentax / Ricoh has seen the K-mount logic and produced a mirrorless K-mount. Now people are up in arms about how stupid it is to do a mirrorless K-mount?

Also, how could anyone have ever thought that there wouldn't be a rear LCD (which some people like to refer to as the EFV?) Really? Has there ever been a digital camera on the market that didn't have a rear LCD? Maybe?

I have enough camera equipment to last me for a while. However, if there is an accessory viewfinder and everything is weather sealed I may consider rearranging my gear. It will probably be too costly though. Also, I will bet my house that it isn't weather sealed. The four-way buttons and the others look like the K-r set up if I recall correctly.

Lastly, everything that I have ever seen from Ricoh is a bit on the fuggly-stealth aesthetic side. Copiers, fax machines, cameras, etc. Although this camera doesn't seem to differ from that greatly, I think that fact that they brought in a notable industrial designer to put this together says a lot.

Last edited by lammie200; 02-01-2012 at 02:57 PM.
02-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #85

It looks great, but I'm not going to buy it. No viewfinder is a deal breaker, how do you even use the thing?
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Azimuth Quote
It looks great, but I'm not going to buy it. No viewfinder is a deal breaker, how do you even use the thing?
To to start a whole round of "Your Mom" jokes, but my mom can't use my camera because of the OVF. The live view zoom in on the K-5 always distracts her, and she can't handle the OVF. She just wants it to work like her P&S. There are many people out there in this same boat.

She wouldn't ever buy a K-5, but I suspect she'd consider this one as an option.
02-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would not want an even smaller mirrorless with an adapter for my precious K-mount glass.
But don't you want a camera so small that it can literally fly away in a strong breeze?
02-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Also, how could anyone have ever thought that there wouldn't be a rear LCD (which some people like to refer to as the EFV?)
What? Nobody disputed that it has the same 3" and 640x480px LCD screen of the K-r and K-5. That isn't an EVF. An EVF is a viewfinder that outwardly (at least from the back) looks like the viewfinder on a DSLR, but instead of a prism/mirror projecting the image on a focusing screen, it has a small, second LCD display. This lets you put it to your eye, shielding your eye from surrounding light, so you can do basic things like focus the camera in sunlight.
02-01-2012, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Azimuth Quote
Probably the same way most people use m4/3 and non-5N/7 NEX bodies.
02-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
She just wants it to work like her P&S. There are many people out there in this same boat.
That's fine, and maybe Pentax will sell a lot of these cameras to such users but I am highly skeptical.

The K-01 seems to be aimed more at DSLR users and enthusiasts who want a more compact camera. I don't think they will sell beans to such a crowd, which is sad as it would be nice for this camera to succeed.

As I noted in another thread the fuji x100 is a runaway hit due larger to the hybrid viewfinder. Other aspects of the camera probably help it sell, but the viewfinder is tops.