Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #106
Banned

It better have an EVF with an ugly hump like that IMHO.

02-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #107
Veteran Member

I think the camera looks good, but I don't get it. To me, the only reason to go mirrorless with no viewfinder is small size. I keep looking at my K200D with a DA40, and than at this picture. They are very close to the same size. Sure, it may be better at video than any other Pentax DSLR, but there are other large sensor cameras that are good at video that come in both large and small packages. Will it be quieter than the K-5? That would be a small advantage, but not enough to make me purchase a new camera body. Is it cheap? It does not look cheap from the pictures.

My reaction to this is the same reaction to the pentax Q. It looks like a nice enough camera, but I don't get it. I don't understand what features of this camera would entice people to drop hundreds of dollars to purchase one.
02-01-2012, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do people genuinely think it's ugly? Or did some people read the prior rumours of it being "ugly" and are just jumping on the bandwagon?

When I read the prior rumours, I held some fears about what it would look like. But, now that I've seen these images - I think it's pretty good. There's no particular item about it that seems "ugly". In the opposite direction, there are parts of the camera which seem to reflect or be homages to older designs from the looks of it.
02-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
I think the camera looks good, but I don't get it. To me, the only reason to go mirrorless with no viewfinder is small size. of this camera would entice people to drop hundreds of dollars to purchase one.
The mirrorless is targeted at high-end P&S'ers. Many of them don't know what a viewfinder is...

02-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Do people genuinely think it's ugly? Or did some people read the prior rumours of it being "ugly" and are just jumping on the bandwagon?
I set up a poll in the K-01 forum...lets see how the votes turn out....
02-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The mirrorless is targeted at high-end P&S'ers. Many of them don't know what a viewfinder is...
Indeed. We've all had the experience of handing a DSLR off to someone else to take a shot, and they then try and hold it up to look at the rear-display, not the viewfinder.

Not having an EVF or OVF (or even a standard flash hot-shoe) hasn't stopped Sony from selling millions of NEX's.
02-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Originally posted by Edvinas Quote Who told you that K-01 is small? K-01 isn't small. K-mount does not allow for camera to be small.
Make the body the same thickness as that adapter and tell us how deep the camera body is going to be.

02-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Really? I thought it was targeted at existing Pentax users who own k-mount lens collections...
02-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #114
Veteran Member

I don't give a rat's hinney what it looks like, it looks fine enough, it's a tool!

How does it work, how does it feel in hand, what can it do...
02-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #115
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Indeed. We've all had the experience of handing a DSLR off to someone else to take a shot, and they then try and hold it up to look at the rear-display, not the viewfinder.

Not having an EVF or OVF (or even a standard flash hot-shoe) hasn't stopped Sony from selling millions of NEX's.
Pentax should have cloned the NEX-7 with it's fantastic EVF & hotshoe.

Last edited by jogiba; 02-01-2012 at 04:48 PM.
02-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #116

While i agree that this camera looks ugly, have a look at the group shot with all the lenses.
Of the 3 cameras, the one on the left is much nicer i think, with the black/silver colours like on the old film cameras.
02-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #117
Forum Member

I don't know if it i too early too judge the look of the K-01 by the few pics of it that are around, but I think that while it seems to be a bold statement in frienly-lookiness, that cilinder shape at the side of the mount plays havok on the design.
It disturbs both the inherited outline of said mount and the front of the flash where the label Pentax sits.
And it is there justified only by the dial on top of it? That a questionable choice to me.

If also the flash guide light on the grip is really covered by the hand when you hold the camera, well then the design is not so neat, no matter who the designer is.

That said, I do have a mirrorless PEN already since a couple of years, without a viewfinder, and shooting with my 40 years old spotmatic through its OVF is something I really, really miss on the PEN. That the K-01 don't have one is a big let down for me.
02-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting that the flash articulates like a point-and-shoot or like the flash on my Panasonic GF2 instead of the more traditional two-arm pivot of dSLRs. Could that have been a space-saving decision so that they could fit something else in the hump??? EVF???
02-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Pentax should have cloned the NEX-7
That will be K-02, just like Sony went through a few NEX increments (about 4 in fact) prior to getting to the NEX7.

NEX7 (if you can find one) is also in the high-end category. I'm not sure K-01 is aimed there.
02-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
To to start a whole round of "Your Mom" jokes, but my mom can't use my camera because of the OVF. The live view zoom in on the K-5 always distracts her, and she can't handle the OVF. She just wants it to work like her P&S. There are many people out there in this same boat.

She wouldn't ever buy a K-5, but I suspect she'd consider this one as an option.
This is fertile soil....

Your momma uses the rear LCD
Your momma uses a kit zoom
Your momma shoots JPG
Your momma uses in-camera HDR