Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Maybe instead of an EVF, there's a recessed accessory socket there -- that will accept an EVF module, a GPS module, or a wireless tethering module.

02-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no issues with the look of the body as far as I can see it right now. I don't like how any camera looks with a flat lens such as the 40mm on it. My K5 and K10D even look out of balance with a 50mm or 35mm on them. If you put a larger lens on the body it will balance it out nicely.

In terms of camera size., I don't want a small k-mount body to fit in my pocket. I want a camera that feels good in my hands and balances well with the lenses and the flash that I put on it.

A larger body minus the mirror makes room for many more features that present day SLRs cannot provide.
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought the Q was ugly from the sample photos, but in the flesh its really nice, so I'm sure its the same for the K-01.
In fact the left most one with the black dials (so biggy dials not obvious) looks the nicest and retro to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I think you meant to say that you would not be looking elsewhere for a MILC body since you can use your lenses with no loss of function on the Pentax version.

If that is the case then I agree whole heartedly with you on this. When each of the other manufacturers went MILC it required a new mount and new lenses for best operation. I sold off my Oly SLR gear as it was left behind for the EP line. At least with Pentax, I can use my same lenses on either body as the situation dictates. This has been my desire since getting all my lovely Pentax DA and FA primes. CAF if preferable in some situations, macro comes to mind right now. I have adapters for mFT and NEX but once the adapter is added, the body is the same size as the new Pentax offering. So for me this is just great.
Exactly. Full K-mount compatibility with AF and 'A' mode. Can't see why any K-mount user would opt for other MILC for their K-mount lenses.

I had a GF1 and now a G3, putting an adapter that protrudes from the existing mount on such small bodies just spoils balance and form factor. I don't bother with these now other than for special applications (eg. macro or extra reach due to 2x crop factor). Native lenses for the small bodies.

I mount my old K-mount lenses on my film cameras like MZ-5n and they look right sized for the body and if I compare MZ-5n to K5, it never fails to surprise me that K5 is not much bigger. So a Kr (ie. smaller than K5) without the hump at the top is certainly very close to MZ-5n in my books.
02-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Maybe instead of an EVF, there's a recessed accessory socket there -- that will accept an EVF module, a GPS module, or a wireless tethering module.
I really like this idea. If Pentax doesn't do it, someone else should. Why should we lose our hotshoe flash just to have gps or evf? I'd rather have both.

02-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #125

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Exactly. Full K-mount compatibility with AF and 'A' mode. Can't see why any K-mount user would opt for other MILC for their K-mount lenses.

I had a GF1 and now a G3, putting an adapter that protrudes from the existing mount on such small bodies just spoils balance and form factor. I don't bother with these now other than for special applications (eg. macro or extra reach due to 2x crop factor). Native lenses for the small bodies.

I mount my old K-mount lenses on my film cameras like MZ-5n and they look right sized for the body and if I compare MZ-5n to K5, it never fails to surprise me that K5 is not much bigger. So a Kr (ie. smaller than K5) without the hump at the top is certainly very close to MZ-5n in my books.
I use my K-mount SLR to use my K-mount lenses. I was expecting a mirrorless Pentax to leverage their penchant for pancake designs for use with small camera bodies. Instead we get this frankenstein. Just what exactly is the point of this K-01? Is Ricoh basing their market expansion plans on appealing to the 7.5%?
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #126
Pentaxian

We get it wjjstu -- you don't like it!
02-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
We get it wjjstu -- you don't like it!
He's hoping that if he complains loud enough, Pentax will change their minds about releasing this.

02-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #128

Hey it worked for the Q(ue).
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #129
Inactive Account

it is not pretty looking, i would say it is rather balance. i'd say we judge it by performance and not by looks. maybe pentax designed it by purpose, to have a very highly performing machine with simpler appearance. then we'll find out later after it was reviewed.
02-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
I use my K-mount SLR to use my K-mount lenses. I was expecting a mirrorless Pentax to leverage their penchant for pancake designs for use with small camera bodies. Instead we get this frankenstein. Just what exactly is the point of this K-01? Is Ricoh basing their market expansion plans on appealing to the 7.5%?
I'm pretty sure it works better for my MF lenses already for one, having used a hood-loupe with my K5 LCD, even in that unrefined interface, the focus hit rate is already far far better.

MILC Pentax leveraging on pancake lenses? Well thats what this is right? a smaller than DSLR, about k-mount SLR sized body with right proportions for existing and new small/smallish Pentax lenses. And Pentax SLRs were pretty small in their day compared to the competition too.
We've not see the lens lineup and roadmap, so why judge so soon (anyway, its already sweet for me with that new 40XS )
I don't see the point of a yet smaller body like the NEX just for smalls sake.

BTW, I've only got 6" sized hands from wrist to fingertip and I'm not complaining.
02-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Well thats what this is right? a smaller than DSLR, about k-mount SLR sized body with right proportions for existing and new small/smallish Pentax lenses.
K-01 is SLR without a mirror but with a viewfinder hump! Small relative to boats from Nikon perhaps but not a small match for primes like the 40mm or 21mm and look how ridiculous those look on a large body.

At 560g with battery, it would put it about even with my ist DS if you removed the glass prism. This thing is a total hack.

Much like the Q I think this is a solution looking for a problem.
02-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Uh, it's reminding me rather uncomfortably of a certain era of plastic boxy looking Pentax cameras that I'd really rather forget. FUGLY doesn't even begin to describe the design on this one, IMHO. Sorry, but I don't really care what it can do if it's going to look like that. Pentax could give that to me brand spanking new and honestly I'd sell it unopened and buy a used K5. Heck, I'd buy a Nikon DSLR before I used that.
02-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #133
Pentaxian

I wonder why the 40mm has a 27mm filter rather than the 49mm filter used on the DA limiteds? A nice thing with the limiteds is only needing one circular polarizer for the whole lot - that's less to carry and to buy.
02-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
K-01 is SLR without a mirror but with a viewfinder hump! Small relative to boats from Nikon perhaps but not a small match for primes like the 40mm or 21mm and look how ridiculous those look on a large body.

At 560g with battery, it would put it about even with my ist DS if you removed the glass prism. This thing is a total hack.

Much like the Q I think this is a solution looking for a problem.
Don't forget that this is APS-C and there are lots more small lenses than the 2 pancakes you've mentioned (they look pretty ok to me on the camera btw).
All the limiteds, all the M series, some of the FA's, these are all 'smallish' and pretty well balanced on a camera like the K-01 (assuming around Mz-5n size).
02-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #135
Pentaxian

Everybody is saying it's ugly - I don't get it. Ugly in my book is this:

It's bulky, it's heavy and it's full of buttons. The K-01 seems the opposite: it's compact, seems to afford (fit) really well in the hands and the button layout makes sense. Besides, it's remarkable, doesn't look like all cameras in the market, which is probably what the designer aimed for.

By the texture and weight, it seems to be alloy. Hope it's WR, that would be killer.

Now, what I don't get is: no viewfinder? There wasn't a full photo of the backside yet, but if it's LCD only... boy, will be a huge letdown.