Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My wife actually wants one (for her birthday) to upgrade from her A40. She wants the VIDEO - and to get her shot at some of my lenses.

I think we're all missing the point - ITS THE VIDEO!!

Pentax have other things coming for still. (but they typically are missing the marketing boat and they'll let dpreview pan it before it can get going).
My wife's birthday is coming up, I think this would be the perfect present for her (me)

02-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #227

I keep saying, "Its the VIDEO."

We have other thibngs for still - and more announcement right around the corner.
I really want to hear more about the video.

Is it clean HDMI out?
If so, is it 4:2:0, 4:1:1, or 4:2:2.
I think we can safely assume it is 8-bit and not 10.
Does it use line-skipping or does it average pixels?
What is the bitrate for h.264 encoding?

If the video is actually good this thing will sell like hotcakes.

If HDMI output is not clean, and it uses line skipping to make 25Mbit 4:2:0 h.264 then it isn't interesting.

I can't seem to find anything other than "Prime M makes the video awesome" whatever that means.

If it has clean HDMI output and doesn't use line skipping in video I'll order one today. If it is 4:2:2 that would be the cherry on top.
02-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #228
Veteran Member

Look at that yellow one, I think it is absolutely gorgeous! It is a harmonious design.
Well then, if so many think it is only for the p&s upgraders, so be it. But I do not agree. For the last half year I have been using several brands csc (mirrorless) and it is just different.
But no vf means less stabilisation when harsh winds blow. Try stabilising one then. And composing in winter bright sunlight: sort of a gamble, but there is review. But no vf with heavy glass is a no it don't work. But then again, a 60-250 without support has always been too much for me. Needs tripod. But also and then again: a very light long tele zoom on a m43 is a go go girl. No problem.
There is no one solution. Hope it won't freeze in the wintercold, like the two I brought this afternoon did. Should have brought K5, really, a froozen shutterbutton is no good.
02-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Gotta admit - seeing that DA 300 is pretty interesting on the K-01.
Prediction of a new Olympic sport: handholding a K-01 / DA 300 at arm's length. First picture not to look like an Impressionistic painting wins.

02-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it.
02-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Prediction of a new Olympic sport: handholding a K-01 / DA 300 at arm's length. First picture not to look like an Impressionistic painting wins.
Serious questions:

(1) Is there anyone who holds a DSLR with a long, heavy lens using only one hand?

(2) Is there anyone who uses their face to support the weight of a DSLR?

(Obviously, I'm not counting people who have only one hand. And yes, I know about mechanical advantage and levers -- but I think that's overstated here.)
02-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think my wife will like it's. It's enough like a point & shoot that it's a easy migration path for her. I'm not keen on the placement of the shutter button. I think it should have been on an incline alittle bit.

btw, she doesn't hold any of her p&s at arms length. she holds it just far enough to see the whole camera.

02-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
The weight, not so much, but the stability gain - absolutely. A proper stance and grip on the camera, with it braced against your brow has got to gain you at least a stop in stability.
02-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #234
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
Lose the bulky mirror, lose the phase detect AF, lose the bulky optical viewfinder, and gained...? Not very much?
I think that the chunky, thick body and grip are a great asset that makes it easier to hold the camera. To me, ultra thin cameras like the NEXs look ridiculous hanging off the end of a honking big lens, and they are difficult to handle as well.

Rob
02-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #235

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
My wife's birthday is coming up, I think this would be the perfect present for her (me)
Oh boy, you guys seems to be loaded with money
02-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #236
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Serious questions:

(1) Is there anyone who holds a DSLR with a long, heavy lens using only one hand?

(Obviously, I'm not counting people who have only one hand. And yes, I know about mechanical advantage and levers -- but I think that's overstated here.)
I just held up an MESuper with a body cap mounted - elbows bent, left palm under base, back of camera about 9' from my face. It actually works pretty well. We just have to learn a new stance and arm position and get comfortable with it.

The form does not require an arms'-length hold between the thumbs and forefingers - and a finger twist to touch the screen to focus, then a tap to shoot.

Try it!!
02-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
Nah - we're finally free of children sucking up all the disposable income.

And it sure beats a new dishwasher as a birthday present.
02-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
I wish that was the case!

Nah - we're finally free of children sucking up all the disposable income.

And it sure beats a new dishwasher as a birthday present.
Im not free yet, still have about 13years to go!
LOL!
02-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #239
Veteran Member

Serious questions:

I prefer to balance my 300mm on the end of my nose and I never walk around with it on top of my head for support. I get paid for performing at kid's parties doing this and can take the 'odd' pic as well. Usually of an OOF end of my nose with some kid looking up it.

On a serious note:
I'm not sure what you mean by this question? I hold long lenses with my left hand and control the camera with my right.
02-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #240

Im not free yet, still have about 13years to go!
LOL!
Same here, even I'm old myself, my wife is much younger and my childrens 9 and 11, so long way to go still, may be I can choose freely my coffin when that time comes closer