Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put a lens on it and leave it there. I sweat bullets when I get a speck on my K10D and have to lock the mirror up to try to blow away the crud. That sensor is right out in the open.

02-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by oldchas Quote
Put a lens on it and leave it there. I sweat bullets when I get a speck on my K10D and have to lock the mirror up to try to blow away the crud. That sensor is right out in the open.
I can feel the sweat

But it became better after I realized how many layers of glass are between shutter and sensor. Top most is an IR protective glass filter. It is relatively safe to clean it, like a focus screen. You can see the sensor, but you can't touch it ...
02-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It's meant to be derogatory.

That's a lot of mass to elevate without the traditional forearm brace advocated in Pentax manuals for decades with much smaller, lighter SLR's.

It's shooting method is P&S using a rear LCD for composition.
traditional P&S film cameras don't have rear LCD's for composition. they have viewfinders. even toy cams have makeshift viewfinders. so what are you trying to say? if you meant that just because a camera doesn't have a viewfinder, makes it a P&S is rather a feeble understanding of what a P&S is. does that mean that if a person uses LV for macro or uses the screen for bulb or long exposure shots for viewing makes the camera a P&S? not to mention that there are now loupe accessories for screen displays as much as there were loupes for viewfinders. I'm sorry but I'm lost where you are heading with this. it's not like we are heading back to the old days, are we?
02-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It's not a P&S because it has a full range of manual settings.
There are many cameras most consider P&S that also allow manual controls (how often these are used is a different matter).

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It's not a P&S because it has non-compromise IQ, ...
What definition of "P&S" says the IQ has to be compromised?

The wikipedia definition says
A point-and-shoot camera, also called a compact camera, is a still camera designed primarily for simple operation. Most use focus free lenses or autofocus for focusing, automatic systems for setting the exposure options, and have flash units built in.
Surely, the "Auto" setting of the K-01 and its ridiculous multitude of scene modes is geared towards simple operation. Where are the "Tav" and "Sv" modes, for example? Would have made the mode dial too complex?

AFAIC, "P&S" refers to the fact that you "point" rather than "frame", i.e., there is not much emphasis on accurate composition. The modern mould for a P&S is a small compact camera, lacking a viewfinder. It thus is tough to compose in hard sunlight and keeping the camera steady. "P&S" users don't care about these shortcomings as they prioritise price, easy handling, and pocketability over precise photography.

Just sticking a bigger, high-quality sensor into a P&S hardware does not turn the P&S camera into a serious photography tool.

Maybe the K-01's ability to support manual focus can be regarded as pulling it out of the "P&S" camp, but in the vast majority of cases, it will be used with AF at arm's length, just like any other P&S.

Last edited by Class A; 02-03-2012 at 08:01 PM.
02-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oldchas Quote
That sensor is right out in the open.
Would worry me as well.

I don't understand why the shutter does not close automatically upon a lens change.
02-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K200D, and have had it for years. I love it, love the lenses, and love Pentax. I can't afford to migrate to the K-5 at the price, nor can I afford to migrate to another brand due to the investment I have in glass. I would consider this camera. Why? Because it is a great way for me to step up to the power of the K5 and I can still use a loupe or mount this on a decent tripod. I mainly shoot nature and when I don't I am shooting the kids and P&S feature set is very handy.

I read a lot of "this sucks" type commentary here, and yeah -- for pro/semi-pro guys with the cash outlay on hand to go with the K5 or nicer -- I can see that. I just wish, that you would take a step back and look at what Pentax has done here:

1) Confirmed a commitment to the K-Mount -- Thank God.
2) Put in play a brand new, speedy & efficient rocking processor in this sucker -- hopefully to be used for future systems.
3) Threw out a mirror-less camera with lens support unparallelled in the industry.

Yeah, okay for their first shot, it is not bad -- in fact it is pretty rockin'! I do wish it was properly weather sealed, but hey, it works okay as is for me. Sure the EVF would be nice, but it is not a killer for a lot of us, so for those of you on here that are complaining all the way to the bank, please do me one more favor:

Please remember that Pentax does not just design cameras for you, and you are not the only people out there that Pentax sells too. For many of us, this camera is gold and covers what we need within our budget range. Try to look a little at the good, and what this camera will bring to Pentax's market share and popularity in the mid-range consumer market and realize that if Pentax grows their profit, they can R&D more....

Me, I will be getting this on release day. As much as I want the K5, I just cannot justify double the price for two negatives to be fixed (EVF & Weather) -- one of which is easily overcome. I hope this post does not piss anyone off, but I am sure it will... I just hope some of you look at the good this brings as opposed to the negatives only.
02-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #37
Inactive Account

RICOH boycott, demand that the Pentax K-5 successor. None toy cameras, but a higher level of technique to be considered. Only a clowns buy the K - 01 it is just a toy.
02-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #38
Veteran Member

It's meant to be derogatory.

That's a lot of mass to elevate without the traditional forearm brace advocated in Pentax manuals for decades with much smaller, lighter SLR's.

It's shooting method is P&S using a rear LCD for composition.
Those SLR's didn't have 53 gram lenses, for what that's worth. The overall combo is about the same.

02-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
RICOH boycott, demand that the Pentax K-5 successor. None toy cameras, but a higher level of technique to be considered. Only a clowns buy the K - 01 it is just a toy.
I guess there are a lot of clowns in this forum, including ADAM.
02-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
traditional P&S film cameras don't have rear LCD's for composition.
Not for 5 years they haven't.

Contemporary (to the K-01 release date) P&S has ONLY rear LCD screen composition.

What your rationalization does not address is that this is a very heavy camera and lens to shoot P&S style.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Those SLR's didn't have 53 gram lenses, for what that's worth. The overall combo is about the same.
For the 40mm lens. The vast majority of P&S upgrades will use/demand zooms. Always have. The prime market is very small compared to zooms.
02-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Since it is just a toy, I am sure you would not mind picking one up for me and sending to me here? I mean toys are cheap.... Either that, or I can have your K-5 since you are obviously going to upgrade to the Pentax Medium Format range since compared to that (by your way of thinking) the K-5 is "just a toy." I guess we all have a little clown in us after all eh?
02-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Not for 5 years they haven't.

Contemporary (to the K-01 release date) P&S has ONLY rear LCD screen composition.

What your rationalization does not address is that this is a very heavy camera and lens to shoot P&S style.

For the 40mm lens. The vast majority of P&S upgrades will use/demand zooms. Always have. The prime market is very small compared to zooms.

I see what you mean. obviously the K-01 is not for mere P&S style.
02-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I see what you mean. obviously the K-01 is not for mere P&S style.
I could live without an EVF or OVF on a budget K-mount APS-C. The price for the K-01 for all its backwards compatibility, is actually not bad for MSRP. Street could be very good.

But for Pete's sake! Give me an articulating LCD. That way I can shoot from the hip, reduce glare, sit it on a table and compose....anything but having to peer down and get the right viewing angle (the ONLY viewing able) for that rear LCD.

The K-01 screams for an articulating LCD. I bet DP Review skewers the review for that oversight.

As with the Q, Pentax has a weird, debilitating mental block on right now and makes errors in fundamental design.
02-04-2012, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Pentax has a weird, debilitating mental block on right now and makes errors in fundamental design.
As Pentax hires external designers - and I am sure they google when accepting the job - we may have a "briefing room" for new designers here in the forum
02-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #45
Veteran Member

for design, democracy is death.