Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it got focus peaking. and you can put a hoodman loupe as Adam suggested. so what's the issue?
The issue is holding a 500g camera at half arm's length with another 300g lens on it while trying to zoom at the same time as hold focus.

It's the world's largest P&S.

02-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gives me hope for a real K-3 or K-1

Forum, the K01 shows a progression. I am someone that shoots sports and rely on both Pentax and Tamron fast glass in hot, cold, rain, snow. So I can immediately tell that the K01 is not aimed at me. No way will I look through the 300/f4 from a lcd screen. Putting a camera to your face is the equivalent of putting the stock of a rifle in your shoulder. You would never fire a rifle accurately or repeatedly if it wasn't grounded in your shoulder. Same for us sports or action oriented photographers.

My hope is that the marketing folks at Pentax know what market they are going after here. It certainly cannot be easy to make a new niche with the overbearing coverage of Nikon and Canon. And when you only own single digit percentages of the market, you cannot make a big R&D mistake.

Back to my title, I am hopeful because we all know that the next thing Pentax is working on must be well underway. We need weather sealed, 10-12 fps EFV and lets kick that sensor up to 25M. My hope is that the K01 allowed Pentax to prove out that they can get so much of the key abilities ironed out so that when they put that next real prosumer body on the market they have found a way to differentiate from Sony, Canon, Nikon. I am just hoping that the K01 is a teaser to something else big this year.
02-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The issue is holding a 500g camera at half arm's length with another 300g lens on it while trying to zoom at the same time as hold focus.

it's kinda derogatory to even categorize the K-01 as a P&S to the extent that it is obviously not a P&S.
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #19

Edward..... Just to look at the camera, sends shivers down my spine....Pentax have done nothing for the professional, or very keen amateur. So dose mean that the exsisting Pentax K-5 is to be the last best DSLR....that Pentax produce. I already have the K-5. So now i will have to decide whether to get another K-5.....or change over to Canon. Just like my son did, over three years ago...when he saw this latest release, he just laughed and said. yes dad, i did make the right move....As a very keen photographer myself, i would feel embarrassed, taking this camera out of my camera bag. Well at least i won my bet down at our camera club, when i said that pentax will do nothing for the camera club members, and the serious photographers,,,,I was right

02-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe...

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Buhlmann Quote
I am just hoping that the K01 is a teaser to something else big this year.
Maybe another pro or semi-pro is in the works. If a 550mm prime is in the pipeline it seems a shame to not have a new body for it.
02-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've just posted a K-01 resource thread. All the interesting factoids are now in there

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173897-pentax-k-01-reso...formation.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #22
Pentaxian

it's kinda derogatory to even categorize the K-01 as a P&S to the extent that it is obviously not a P&S.
How is it different from a P&S?

02-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edward prince Quote
So now i will have to decide whether to get another K-5.....or change over to Canon.
Don't worry. There are real DSLRs in the pipeline. Maybe even an FF body. I'm looking forward to the next Pentax announcements.
02-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Canon GX 1 is slightly larger. SX40 is DSLR sized.
02-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
How is it different from a P&S?
P&S doesn't mean no viewfinder.

It's not a P&S because it has a full range of manual settings.

It's not a P&S because it has non-compromise IQ, probably (based on the K-5 ratings) better than or equal to almost all cameras on the market with the exception of larger-format cameras.
02-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
P&S doesn't mean no viewfinder.

It's not a P&S because it has a full range of manual settings.

It's not a P&S because it has non-compromise IQ, probably (based on the K-5 ratings) better than or equal to almost all cameras on the market with the exception of larger-format cameras.
best way to put it.
02-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by edward prince Quote
....As a very keen photographer myself, i would feel embarrassed, taking this camera out of my camera bag. Well at least i won my bet down at our camera club, when i said that pentax will do nothing for the camera club members, and the serious photographers,,,,I was right
I would be embarrassed if I was more concerned with my camera than the pictures I took with it! This doom and gloom is getting old! I hope that bet had a time limit or I bet you will lose!

Last edited by RickParkhurst; 02-03-2012 at 10:20 AM.
02-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I think it really looks good for the money. And a nice start for the mirrorless line.

I do think a model with an EVF and a few more controls might be better for a lot of us, but if they expand the mirrorless range, maybe we'll see that next.

At least we can stop worrying about if they'll keep the K-mount.
02-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think it really looks good for the money. And a nice start for the mirrorless line.

I do think a model with an EVF and a few more controls might be better for a lot of us, but if they expand the mirrorless range, maybe we'll see that next.

At least we can stop worrying about if they'll keep the K-mount.
it is a great buy for those who are considering something of the K-5 caliber (sensor-wise). if they make the K-01 around a $100 less for the body which is about $650, then it is a no-brainer that one would consider this for less than half the cost of the K-5. the camera is basically for people who has an older than K-5 dslr system or entry level market buyers.
02-03-2012, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's meant to be derogatory.

That's a lot of mass to elevate without the traditional forearm brace advocated in Pentax manuals for decades with much smaller, lighter SLR's.

It's shooting method is P&S using a rear LCD for composition.