Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I think the main thing that may scare new users away is that Pentax want to be different, less mainstream. Not the things we say here on pentaxforums.
This is the most attractive part of Pentax. Competition through originality.

02-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #77
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I just don't see that pointing out that Pentax kit lens has noisy AF will make much difference, as it will be one of the first thing anyone trying the camera will notice. And it will probably be the first thing a salesman will say too, or maybe the second thing after pointing out that K-01 is much larger than other MILC.

I think the main thing that may scare new users away is that Pentax want to be different, less mainstream. Not the things we say here on pentaxforums.
Well maybe you're right and maybe you're not. We'll see.

Of course in the US we can't try out Pentax cameras before we buy them, generally, because they aren't available in stores. We.like most other people here, buy televisions and appliances and cameras and even cars on the internet.

FWIW, I bet there are versions of the K-01 in the pipeline that include planned improvements - maybe to include a small, quieter 18~55xs zoom lens. But I for one don't believe they has enough money to develop the camera, the improved technology and more new lenses all at one time.

I think, as Douglas_of_Sweden wrote, this camera is supposed to be an MX - a simple camera with high technology inside.
02-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #78
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think, as Douglas_of_Sweden wrote, this camera is supposed to be an MX - a simple camera with high technology inside.
Careful now.

The MX was a pro camera and markets as such. Its descendent was the LX.

The K-01 is not in that lineage as pros nowadays rely on the modes and other paraphernalia more than amateurs. The market has shifted.

I see the K-01 as a backwards compatible K-mount mirrorless. NOthing ore, nothing less, reasonably priced in the middle.

Frankly, I see it more as a 2nd camera for many Pentaxians wanting mirrorless, but not wanting a new mount (Q...cough, cough.....hack...blech).

Clearly the market space of the K-01 is well separated from the K-5 with which it shares so much internally. Aside from price it lacks a great number of consumer innovations such as an articulating rear LCD. All the "pros" here bemoan the lack of EVF.
02-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #79
Lens Buying Addict

And Its antecedent was the K2DMD. Douglas even referenced carrying over the shutter from the K2 to the MX. The point isn't to suggest the K-021 is professional. Rather it is to suggest Pentax has approached loading a simjple camera with great internal technology - as it did the MX - has approached that idea from a different and interesting direction.

02-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #80
Pentaxian

moved its manufacturing base to Southeast Asia (who wants an FA Limited or A50/1.2 manufactured in Vietnam)?
I do. At least it makes the lenses a bit less expensive for everybody else who don't make like, $5,000 or more in a year...

but when it comes to the Pentax way of thinking (or direction) I really hope to know what Ricoh really has in mind...
02-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #81
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I do. At least it makes the lenses a bit less expensive for everybody else who don't make like, $5,000 or more in a year...

but when it comes to the Pentax way of thinking (or direction) I really hope to know what Ricoh really has in mind...
Ricoh has in mind to rebuild the brand and compete directly with Canon in many parts of the market and exploit what they view as holes in other parts of the market.

Ricoh has a history of doing this successfully, especially against Canon copiers.
02-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Ricoh has a history of doing this successfully, especially against Canon copiers.
I've seen their boom in the copier industry. At least in the offices near ours... Most HP and Canon stuff are going out in favor of new Ricoh machines.

I hope the same goes for cameras, especially in the "holes in other parts of the market" as you said.
02-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #83
Veteran Member

<rant>

So you are telling me that Pentax can engineer from the ground up lenses that have silent ring motors in them - in every single lens - having not amortized the R&D and Plant and Equipment costs over many years of selling many thousands of more expensive lenses as CaNikon have - and offer that to us in a brand new $100 kit zoom lens that is intended to work with a boxy point and shoot camera that doesn't even have a viewfinder and is destined to fail before anyone has ever even seen one?

And design the electronics and algorithm to control the new CDAF 81 point focus system with a lens mounted focus motor. And also incur the expense of retaining the body motor, screw drive and gearing in the K-01 for those that demand it so the camera can be used with their precious FA Limiteds, without introducing cost-prohibitive complexity? And while they're at it, how about they un-cripple the KAF2 mount so we can properly meter our 50-year-old Takumars - I mean, c'mon, Pentax - backward compatibility should mean something!!

And keep the lenses characteristically small, sharp and contrasty in the Pentax tradition? And as a side benefit, allow the lenses to protrude into the (former) mirror box so they are really cool and flat? But keep them useable on the legacy Pentax bodies with mirror boxes we all already own.

This all to be magically created by a company that can't make HSM that works, and can't service it when it breaks? That has retired all its best lens engineers, can't do proper quality control, moved its manufacturing base to Southeast Asia (who wants an FA Limited or A50/1.2 manufactured in Vietnam)?

In a company whose total sale price to Ricoh was something like $100,000,000 5 months ago (pocket change to Ricoh, BTW)?

Oh, and keep the price at $849 for the zoom kit. (I'll buy it after the street price drops to $599)

Give Pentax Ricoh Imaging an effing break! Sophisticated my hind end. Hipsters will buy that Fuji thing for $2300. Or wear a Leica dangling from a neckstrap on the subway.

This is supposed to be a fun camera that does lots of things nearly as well as a dSLR. That's the gap to plug - K5 sensor in a $750 camera. Edge technology video in the same $750 camera. It is not intended to be a smooth, sophisticated dSLR in a compact body. Its a one-off, or maybe the start of a new line (emphasis on start) that appeals to a different generation.

Now I suppose someone will say if they really wanted to add something Pentax should add native 4G and an InstaGram button.

We're such gear snobs.

</rant>
Sheesh... you're like Alex Ferguson in a post match interview! Spouting about anything and everything to divert attention from the actual point.

Here's a summary for you:

1. A quietly-focusing kit zoom is easy to engineer
2. It is cheap to implement
3. It will suit the video characteristics of the X-01
4. Future bodies, with or without a VF, will probably also have in-video focusing, so it will be of benefit to them too
5. It couldn't have anything but a positive effect on sales

Just ONE motorised basic kit zoom. Hardly rocket-science. :ugh:

02-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Sheesh... you're like Alex Ferguson in a post match interview! Spouting about anything and everything to divert attention from the actual point.

Here's a summary for you:

1. A quietly-focusing kit zoom is easy to engineer
2. It is cheap to implement
3. It will suit the video characteristics of the X-01
4. Future bodies, with or without a VF, will probably also have in-video focusing, so it will be of benefit to them too
5. It couldn't have anything but a positive effect on sales

Just ONE motorised basic kit zoom. Hardly rocket-science. :ugh:
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something. But the 18-135WR is already motorized and is very quiet.
02-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something. But the 18-135WR is already motorized and is very quiet.
It is indeed, and a fair point. But I was talking about the low-cost 18-55 kit lens that most ILC newcomers will gravitate to, rather than a $450 lens.
02-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Careful now.

The MX was a pro camera and markets as such. Its descendent was the LX.

The ME is a better parallel. The ME was the all automatic half sister of the MX, introduced at the same time. Later, they brought out the ME Super, probably since there were quite a few potential buyers that were put off by the lack of a manual mode in the ME.
02-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #87
Pentaxian

The K-01 has external mic input (or says the spec sheets)... will the lens' focusing sound still reach the input when an external mic is used?
02-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
The K-01 has external mic input (or says the spec sheets)... will the lens' focusing sound still reach the input when an external mic is used?
Depends on what kind of focusing. If it were screw drive, absolutely. SDM, I would think not, and DC almost definitely not.
02-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #89

Photos: Gallery
Do you the sensor in the k5 was the highest rated aps c sensor for 2011. The camera had one lowest noise levels for aps c ant ff sensors as well.
02-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #90

Photos: Gallery
and looks like the sensor k-01 just might be a little better.