Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let's not be narrow, nasty, and negative.
T. S. Eliot

I think that quote explains a lot about certain people.

02-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why does a mirrorless camera have to be small? Pentax may very well be the only camera company that eventually comes out with a fully featured, full frame mirrorless camera that knocks the socks off of the rest of the photographic industry. With the K01 they are half way there.
02-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I like the sound of that. Though I do agree that 1 sample unit in even just 1 major store at every place can change the way people view Pentax. I can't imagine myself having bought my K-x if it weren't for the local distributor letting me hold.. and shoot with it inside the store. Guess I'm just lucky with the sample thing. Hopefully it will be the same for everyone in the near future.
We're very fortunate in St. Louis that we have a 9-store chain (Creve Couer Camera) that stocks, supports and even features Pentax in its co-op ads. I hang around the store that does the most 2nd hand sales. Right now you can't beg, borrow or steal a 105/2.8 or anything M42. Change is in the wind.
02-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
There is respected photographers on DPReview?
I've noticed that there are a lot of positive comments on the camera made by non Pentax Users. Some very interesting comments regarding the colour options. Black being associated with old geezers such as my self and yellow with the younger generation. Interesting......

02-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
While visiting DPReview, I noticed something. The general consensus amongst "respected" photographers is that Pentax is not capable of producing quality products.
Well, not sure if it's that, the consensus seems to be that the consumer oriented Pentax products (essentially the whole line with the exception of the 645(D)) are average products at very best and only suitable for the average consumer. Until Pentax|Ricoh gets real serious about their products (sorry but the K01 is not a serious piece of equipment by a long shot) the consensus will continue to be the same - we will see once they start releasing the new glass and some more bodies over the next couple of years.
02-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #21

A camera this ugly has just gotta take great pictures!

02-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
Photographers this ugly has just gotta take great pictures!
Corrected.

02-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
A camera this ugly has just gotta take great pictures!

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Corrected.
02-03-2012, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Why does a mirrorless camera have to be small? Pentax may very well be the only camera company that eventually comes out with a fully featured, full frame mirrorless camera that knocks the socks off of the rest of the photographic industry. With the K01 they are half way there.
FF mirrorless?

Canon and Nikon won't
Panasonic and Olympus are locked into M4/3
Fuji are locked into X mount (I don't know if that mount can support FF; I think not)

That just leaves Sony and Pentax. The Sony E mount is FF compatible, but I don't think any of the already-limited E glass can provide an image circle for FF.

That leaves only Pentax. Sensor prices are only going one way: down. It's just a matter of time until FF mirrorless is under US$1K, and blowing away all the smaller sensor competition in IQ, DR, low light, and DOF control.

I think this is very significant.

The best image quality out of a reasonably compact system will come from only one company: Pentax.
02-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The reception the K-01 gets will be improved if Pentax releases a similar DSLR this month. It will demonstrate that the K-01 is an addition to the range not a subtraction.
02-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #26

pentax is going quite avant-garde with the Q and now the K-01. ricoh of course just popped out the GXR module with the 16MP APS-C sensor. they also have the M mount module too. we get a lens road map that furthers the K-mount. and even stronger hints of another DSLR. exciting times for sure with pentax. who knows...this might be the game changer like the original K series was back in the 70/80's. ya gotta love it. spring's in the air here in northern california....time to take my K-5 for some shooting

-raphael
02-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
The reception the K-01 gets will be improved if Pentax releases a similar DSLR this month. It will demonstrate that the K-01 is an addition to the range not a subtraction.
This month or not, they should.
I see the K-01 as a very similar (Pentax Hoya-like?) move as the white K-m; not very expensive to make, since it shares the same internals with a DSLR (well, it is a DSLR with the mirror/prism removed and some cosmetic changes); quite bad reception (people hate things that are different, and a vocal minority just hate Pentax), but with time it will be accepted. The only difference - it was released before that DSLR
02-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Maybe not those who have old K-glass, but Ricoh positioned it so that those P&S people will be come attached to the system because of K-glass.
And of course, FRIENDS of people who have K-glass (like us)
Almost every single reasonably knowledgeable camera shop salesman I've talked to over the last couple of years has had the attitude that "Yeah, Pentax makes good cameras and some really interesting lenses, but I still recommend Nikon or Canon because of the much larger choice of lenses". Logically, they should now without a shadow of doubt recommend the K-01 over the NEX-C3 or the NEX-5N.
02-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
This month or not, they should.
I see the K-01 as a very similar (Pentax Hoya-like?) move as the white K-m; not very expensive to make, since it shares the same internals with a DSLR (well, it is a DSLR with the mirror/prism removed and some cosmetic changes); quite bad reception (people hate things that are different, and a vocal minority just hate Pentax), but with time it will be accepted. The only difference - it was released before that DSLR
Yes! They should get a DSLR with similar specs - a "K-s" - out ASAP. The K-01 gets attention, now the customer who never heard of Pentax goes shopping and discovers that hey, they also have this cute DSLR which has basically the same specs but adds a real viewfinder.
02-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #30

Folks are not threatened by the K-01's arrival it's quickly become an object of mockery.
Really I don't know who it's aimed at because it seems to miss so many obvious points that will scrub it off almost everyone's "maybe list"
I can't see new buyers taking this over a Canikon DSLR either

More money wasted on a project that has no hope of working can't we just get back to making good problem free DSLR's?