Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 06:23 AM - 4 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
More money wasted on a project that has no hope of working can't we just get back to making good problem free DSLR's?
You, Sir, are a cancer. It is negativity like this that causes us to kill our own company from the inside. We already have a hard enough time trying to advertise Pentax, and then combine that with the need to fend off attacks from canikon "professionals," it's disheartening that because it's not exactly what you want, Pentax is doomed and "wasting more money on a project that has no hope of working." Take your negativity somewhere else, please. Will I ever get a K-01? No, I am too deeply committed to an OVF, but that doesn't mean I can't understand the merits of it and who it is a benefit to.

Very Respectfully,
Heie

02-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Folks are not threatened by the K-01's arrival it's quickly become an object of mockery.
I assume those folks are better photographers if they mock everything Pentax makes, shouting out loud: "hey, I'm so above this piece of **** made for consumers!"

It happened with the colored cameras. It happened with the Q. It's happening again with the K-01. One would think Pentax should only make high end stuff... but the loudest people won't buy it, no matter what.
02-03-2012, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
: 606 comments - span of 12 hours

Yea, I noticed that yesterday too. And the sheer quantity and virulence of the vitriol hurled at Pentax isn't necessarily a bad thing. It humanizes the company while getting it a lot of publicity. I don't think all the borderline autistic camera techophiles really understand how smug and off putting they are to normal human beings who just want to take some lousy pictures.

A super-technical camera like Fuji's X Pro with it's DOF scales, tiny buttons, and anonymous greebles and nurnies is their idea of a wet dream, but to most people it just looks complicated and prohibitively expensive. Not to mention that market is already ridiculously saturated. Pentax is trying to broaden its base of consumers -- and a good way to do that, is offer something no one else is.
02-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
A super-technical camera like Fuji's X Pro with it's DOF scales, tiny buttons, and anonymous greebles and nurnies is their idea of a wet dream, but to most people it just looks complicated and prohibitively expensive. Not to mention that market is already ridiculously saturated. Pentax is trying to broaden its base of consumers -- and a good way to do that, is offer something no one else is.
Very well said! And I noticed the following from this preview:

The straightforward-looking controls were a hit with some of the non-technical journalists, who said they considered most SLRs' controls to be intimidatingly complex.

In truth, though, its controls are just as capable as on consumer SLRs. It uses the same excellent menu system that we've seen on recent Pentax SLRs, and includes an easily customisable Auto ISO mode, high-dynamic-range (HDR) shooting, control over noise reduction strength and Custom Image presets for adjusting saturation, contrast, sharpness, hue and various other settings.

02-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Very well said! And I noticed the following from this preview:

The straightforward-looking controls were a hit with some of the non-technical journalists, who said they considered most SLRs' controls to be intimidatingly complex.

In truth, though, its controls are just as capable as on consumer SLRs. It uses the same excellent menu system that we've seen on recent Pentax SLRs, and includes an easily customisable Auto ISO mode, high-dynamic-range (HDR) shooting, control over noise reduction strength and Custom Image presets for adjusting saturation, contrast, sharpness, hue and various other settings.
I wonder how many "I was wrong" posts all these members will post in 9 months. I wish I could archive a list of User Names and send a blast PM when Ricoh/Pentax "surprises" the industry.

Get some popcorn, sit back and watch Ricoh for the next two years. This should be fun. (Talk about smug - I'm laughing inside).
02-03-2012, 09:31 AM - 3 Likes   #36
Inactive Account

To me it seems that without a viewfinder and other functions found in dslrs, the majority of photography enthusiasts who frequent this and other photography sites are dissappointed. The common complaint is: This is a neutered k5... only slightly smaller and too big for a mirrorless camera. I tend to agree. A Viewfinder or at least an articulating screen would be a must for a dslr user like myself. I'll wait for the k-02. But... this camera isn't for us. It's a new camera chasing a different segment: The young trendy person who takes pictures with the camera held at arms length. That's a huge market. 90% of my friends belong to this crowd. They're not interested in DSLRs and are intimidated by all the buttons and size. And they'll never bother buying an EVF hot shoe option either.

The K-01 is for the point and shooters who want the totally different design cool new toy that is not intimidating with all of it's dslr like buttons... that is small (with the 40mm lens), takes great movies and surprise... will take amazing pictures with the K5 sensor. Most will not care that it even has an exchangeable lens system. Hell... most people looking for good picture quality get that entry level dslr and never buy another lens other than the kit... This'll be an un-intimidating familiar entry into that kind of picture taking capacity in a colorful and hip design at a good price. I was contemplating what this camera's true competitors will be. I expect the k-01 will drop to the $600 range. It's competitors will be the Nikon p7100, fujifilm x10, x100, canon g1x, g12, nex5n, j1, gf3 etc. What's interesting... is that most of these camera's all look relatively the same... no design truly stands out among them... that is until the k-01.

I think this is a great move by Pentax. It's core K-01 buying audience will be young trend setters. The majority will never buy another lens other than the kit... the quality of pictures and video they take will be amazing. Some will get into more pentax lenses, specially those using its video capabilities. They'll be much more inclined to stay with the K-mount system after that. Those of us expecting the first camera in this mirrorless line to be a pro mirrorless camera should just wait until the line is expanded. I'm sure one will come down the line next year. I'm sad Pentax hasn't put out the camera I wanted but am glad they're reaching out for different market with an innovative new product. A stronger Ricoh/Pentax is a good thing in my book and only increases the chances for them to one day hopefully be a stronger presence in the photography business.... I'd be great to walk into my local BestBuy and actually see ANY Pentax cameras available for me to actually hand hold.
02-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iveous Quote
To me it seems that without a viewfinder and other functions found in dslrs, the majority of photography enthusiasts who frequent this and other photography sites are dissappointed. The common complaint is: This is a neutered k5... only slightly smaller and too big for a mirrorless camera. I tend to agree. A Viewfinder or at least an articulating screen would be a must for a dslr user like myself. I'll wait for the k-02. But... this camera isn't for us. It's a new camera chasing a different segment: The young trendy person who takes pictures with the camera held at arms length. That's a huge market. 90% of my friends belong to this crowd. They're not interested in DSLRs and are intimidated by all the buttons and size. And they'll never bother buying an EVF hot shoe option either.

The K-01 is for the point and shooters who want the totally different design cool new toy that is not intimidating with all of it's dslr like buttons... that is small (with the 40mm lens), takes great movies and surprise... will take amazing pictures with the K5 sensor. Most will not care that it even has an exchangeable lens system. Hell... most people looking for good picture quality get that entry level dslr and never buy another lens other than the kit... This'll be an un-intimidating familiar entry into that kind of picture taking capacity in a colorful and hip design at a good price. I was contemplating what this camera's true competitors will be. I expect the k-01 will drop to the $600 range. It's competitors will be the Nikon p7100, fujifilm x10, x100, canon g1x, g12, nex5n, j1, gf3 etc. What's interesting... is that most of these camera's all look relatively the same... no design truly stands out among them... that is until the k-01.

I think this is a great move by Pentax. It's core K-01 buying audience will be young trend setters. The majority will never buy another lens other than the kit... the quality of pictures and video they take will be amazing. Some will get into more pentax lenses, specially those using its video capabilities. They'll be much more inclined to stay with the K-mount system after that. Those of us expecting the first camera in this mirrorless line to be a pro mirrorless camera should just wait until the line is expanded. I'm sure one will come down the line next year. I'm sad Pentax hasn't put out the camera I wanted but am glad they're reaching out for different market with an innovative new product. A stronger Ricoh/Pentax is a good thing in my book and only increases the chances for them to one day hopefully be a stronger presence in the photography business.... I'd be great to walk into my local BestBuy and actually see ANY Pentax cameras available for me to actually hand hold.
Thanks for that, a very shrewd assessment. I doubt this camera is for me either but that doesn't stop me from liking it, and few have got to grips with the new, video-tuned Prime M engine in the camera which promises very interesting stuff much more attuned to the kind of buyer you mention. Personally I do like the look of the K-01. In Mr Newson, Pentax chose someone who is much admired in Japan and also completely at home in the West. A very savvy choice. I hope he goes on to design other Pentax cameras.

02-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #38
Veteran Member

For all the noise being made by those invested in other brands, it does seem to me that from an IQ perspective, no other mirrorless system can currently hold a candle to the Pentax X-0 and native lenses.
02-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
For all the noise being made by those invested in other brands, it does seem to me that from an IQ perspective, no other mirrorless system can currently hold a candle to the Pentax X-0 and native lenses.

That's exactly right. The distinguishing factor is this: The K-01 is not a smaller mirrorless DSLR. It is a point and shoot camera with a freakishly good sensor with the biggest lens line up available to date! ... And it's trendy.
02-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We've been hanging on by our fingernails for so many years (two decades?) that we don't yet realize what is happening here. Ricoh is tough competition when they decide they want something. They've openly stated what they want - to go toe-to-toe with canon and Nikon and win.

Break out the pop corn and Hang on, boys and girls.
It's ON, bitches!
02-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #41
Inactive Account

There is certainly hope! Talk of a possible FF this year... new mirrorless, new KR and K5 model replacements...a new lens line up... at least the ship is moving. I for one am excited to see some new life breathed into Pentax and the K-mount specially... and I almost forgot... rehiring of previously let go Pentax lens designers too. Hurray.
02-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Pentax K-01 Announcement: 606 comments - span of 12 hours
It's partly because they've gone against the conventional wisdom that mirrorless should be small.

Am I right in thinking the Q is the smallest, and the K-01 the largest, mirrorless interchangeable lens camera?

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
And quite frankly, I'm confused at who they are marketing to: point & shoot upgraders who happen to have old k-glass?
People who want to step up from a phone or P&S, but still want to compose using the LCD monitor like they are used to. And who want an upgrade path that preserves their investment in lenses.

I think the upgrade path is important. Every newbie gets told that camera bodies are transient and lenses are forever. Eventually, the K-mount upgrade path will go all the way to full-frame, I'm sure of it, and the FF will help sell K-01s and the K-01 will help sell FFs. Ricoh have the resources to make it happen, but it will take a few years to put it all together.

The availability of cheap second-hand lenses may help sell K-01s too. You'll be able to take top quality pictures without paying top dollar prices. Eliminating mirror slap, and focussing errors due to misalignments, will help here. It's going to be awesome value.
02-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iveous Quote

I agree 100% good assessment. I'm a pretty dedicated OVF guy and most mirrorless have had little appeal. Thing is with all it's supposed faults i can see this fitting in my bag alongside my K7 (or whatever the next DSLR i buy is) Certainly on shoots where i need a 2 body setup it will bring a range of options i don't have on my other bodies, and it will be more lightweight to boot. To top it off when i'm shooting the award show i do every year for the winner pics it will actually add some fun quotient (i;ll buy it in yellow) and i'll use it to capture short video clips and the K7 for the portraits
In interview situations i've often thought an unconventional camera would do a lot to put people more at ease quickly (I thought about a robot Kr just for the Rock and Roll interview shots )
And I too expect it to drop to at least Nex 5 territory quickly
and the Kr replacement to be priced at 899 then
02-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wonder how many "I was wrong" posts all these members will post in 9 months.
Zero, of course. Failed prophets never apologize, just rationalize and fantasize.
02-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
Am I right in thinking the Q is the smallest, and the K-01 the largest, mirrorless interchangeable lens camera?
As you meant the question I think so (but it's not a market I follow), but as stated, no. There are various medium format rangefinders, a few large format rangefinders and of course normal large format cameras. All without mirror, many with interchangeable lenses, and certainly bigger than the K-01.