Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I just noticed...

While visiting DPReview, I noticed something. The general consensus amongst "respected" photographers is that Pentax is not capable of producing quality products. If it doesn't have Canikon on it, well, it must not be much more than a toy.

But then something interesting occurred to me:

Nikon V1/J1 Review: 442 comments - span of 6 days
Canon G1x Preview: 786 comments - span of 19 days
Nikon D4 Overview: 805 Comments - span of 26 days
Nikon D4 Announcement: 230 comments - span of 13 days
Pentax K-01 Announcement: 606 comments - span of 12 hours

*These were all as on this post, and the span was calculated from posting of the news article to the last comment received.

Where I come from, when a population is so adamantly against you, that usually means you are 1) an incompetent prick of a dictator/president/etc, or 2) doing something right, and the naysayers feel challenged by you, thus resorting to the only tactic to attempt to resolve their insecurity. Clearly the first is a moot issue photographically, so by my count.....

But seriously, look at those numbers! A HELLUVA lot of people are going out of their way to spew their vitriol and disdain for a camera company they know nothing about. For this alone, Pentax deserves accolades

-Heie

02-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-01 is already a hit, because let's face it- other manufacturers don't have a mirrorless that supports such a gamut of lenses. If the successor to the K-01 gets a full-frame sensor, EVF, pro-grade features, then they might even have to start worrying!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

In order for it to be a "hit" people have to buy it, not just comment on it.

And quite frankly, I'm confused at who they are marketing to: point & shoot upgraders who happen to have old k-glass?

According to one interview I read it's for "designers." Well, that leaves me out.
02-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Causing a stir and being a hit are two different things. I agree with you that many of those comments are from ignorant posers that spent a lot on their equipment. The real measure here is going to be a) the K-01's performance and b) its sales. Unless, Ricoh sees it as a loss-leader for a new line (as Adam has said several times) which would negate a need for heavy sales.

02-02-2012, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think some may feel threatened by the prospect of another respectable manufacturer joining the mirrorless battle...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
And quite frankly, I'm confused at who they are marketing to: point & shoot upgraders who happen to have old k-glass?
Maybe not those who have old K-glass, but Ricoh positioned it so that those P&S people will be come attached to the system because of K-glass.
And of course, FRIENDS of people who have K-glass (like us)

I would definitelyrecommend this to friends who are moving up from P&S. In the span of a year, I've bought way more lenses than my Canikon SLR friends. I can sure lend some to future Pentaxians. Like an old ad Pentax said, "hey, were' not photography snobs. Welcome to the club."

For me, I think it depends also on how Ricoh markets their products from this point on, and of course, US Pentax users too, to help. I noticed that young Canikon users get more people on their side because well, they exude pride on the brand they chose. I guess that should go for us too.
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

And Remember

This is their first gen, wait till next year !

wll

02-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If they can get this into widespread distribution where consumers can actually hold them and spend a little advertising money they may not be able to make enough K-01s. There are not many brick and mortar stores selling Pentax (in the US anyway) and that really keeps a lot of people from buying. That's why Canikons are so big, they know how to market their products. You can go into about any store that sells any electronic items and they have at least an entry level Canikon and a couple crappy lenses, and they sell a lot of them if for no other reason than because they have them.
02-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If they can get this into widespread distribution where consumers can actually hold them and spend a little advertising money they may not be able to make enough K-01s. There are not many brick and mortar stores selling Pentax (in the US anyway) and that really keeps a lot of people from buying. That's why Canikons are so big, they know how to market their products. You can go into about any store that sells any electronic items and they have at least an entry level Canikon and a couple crappy lenses, and they sell a lot of them if for no other reason than because they have them.
That will take a TOTAL REVAMP of the marketing department at Pentax USA. But I have said before, Ricoh has a history of taking aim at a segment leader and overtaking them within the segment they previously dominated. Their marketing tactics have been outstanding in many regards in the past, so why would we question their ability to take Pentax and do the same thing? It just takes time and resources. Ricoh has the resources, we just need to give them the time.
02-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-01 is certainly a polarizing camera. But there is no doubt that it has the largest and most impressive native lens lineup of any mirrorless camera. Now should I be patient and wait for V2 with the EVF or just plunge in now. The ability to AF in video will come in handy with my 1 year old daughter. My current video cam is my Olympus EP-1 and it just can't keep up with the little rascal who just started walking. What do I do when she starts running...
02-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That will take a TOTAL REVAMP of the marketing department at Pentax USA. But I have said before, Ricoh has a history of taking aim at a segment leader and overtaking them within the segment they previously dominated. Their marketing tactics have been outstanding in many regards in the past, so why would we question their ability to take Pentax and do the same thing? It just takes time and resources. Ricoh has the resources, we just need to give them the time.
We've been hanging on by our fingernails for so many years (two decades?) that we don't yet realize what is happening here. Ricoh is tough competition when they decide they want something. They've openly stated what they want - to go toe-to-toe with canon and Nikon and win.

Break out the pop corn and Hang on, boys and girls.
02-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
While visiting DPReview, I noticed something. The general consensus amongst "respected" photographers is that Pentax is not capable of producing quality products. If it doesn't have Canikon on it, well, it must not be much more than a toy.

But then something interesting occurred to me:

Nikon V1/J1 Review: 442 comments - span of 6 days
Canon G1x Preview: 786 comments - span of 19 days
Nikon D4 Overview: 805 Comments - span of 26 days
Nikon D4 Announcement: 230 comments - span of 13 days
Pentax K-01 Announcement: 606 comments - span of 12 hours
Many think it ugly.

A few will argue over sense details, lens charts, etc.....

....but EVERYONE has a comment about aesthetics.
02-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh is tough competition when they decide they want something. They've openly stated what they want - to go toe-to-toe with canon and Nikon and win. Break out the pop corn and Hang on, boys and girls.
I like the sound of that. Though I do agree that 1 sample unit in even just 1 major store at every place can change the way people view Pentax. I can't imagine myself having bought my K-x if it weren't for the local distributor letting me hold.. and shoot with it inside the store. Guess I'm just lucky with the sample thing. Hopefully it will be the same for everyone in the near future.
02-02-2012, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
This is their first gen, wait till next year !

wll
Sigh .... This isn't like software where a dominant player (Microsoft) can take until 3.0 to get it right. Pentax is coming from behind. Ricoh cannot afford to start with a stumble.

I don't know that K-01 is a stumble but "wait 'til next year" doesn't attract new buyers. They'll buy something else today. And probably stick with it ....
02-02-2012, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
While visiting DPReview, I noticed something. The general consensus amongst "respected" photographers
There is respected photographers on DPReview?