Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Japanese news site DCWatch notes 日本での発売は未定 - Sale in Japan is undecided.

02-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sorksoft Quote
Japanese news site DCWatch notes 日本での発売は未定 - Sale in Japan is undecided.
This is very interesting. This just might mean something else is in the works. I now wonder what Pentax is going to show at CP+.
02-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

They spent a shipload of money to hire Newson, but the heads at Ricoh disliked the results, and don't want to show it at home.
02-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
The K-01 was introduced in the UK, maybe because the designer lives in London ( Marc Newson Ltd ) and he wanted to present his newest design work there at a fashion(able) event first (one week before CP+, perhaps this is even part of the contract). But who cares about that in Pentax homeland? All what really matters over there is CP+ in Yokohama. And in tradition of K-x/K-r the release in Japan could even be more colorful...
I would think that there will be more color selections in the Japanese market. I personally think that the Japanese market is slight different from the rest of the world; people there tend to buy more trendy products and not as much price conscious as others outside Japan.

02-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If they didn't like the results they would have killed it world wide.
02-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
They spent a shipload of money to hire Newson, but the heads at Ricoh disliked the results, and don't want to show it at home.
Makes sense to me. The K-x/r have been a BIG hit in Japan and set a trend for colors in SLRs there from what I have read around the net. Smaller is definitely a serious selling point in Japan as is bright color. Its interesting that the yellow & black model isn't going to be sold there as it hits one of those two. Of course, post earthquake the black and yellow one may be too reminiscent of an emergency-rescue combination (not joking here).

FYI - my computer translation of "日本での発売は未定" is "Pending sale in Japan" - does the original imply "undecided" and that just isn't easily translated?

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
02-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #22

Until it is coloured and shaped like a cartoon robot, then it will be ready for the Japanese domestic market. That is how the Kr/x/m was treated. I do not think that sort of design philosophy and Marc Newson match in any way shape or form. However, the K-01 is not matching many peoples design philosophies, it is certainly a love it or hate it result. Then again neither were the special robot editions.
02-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
If they didn't like the results they would have killed it world wide.
Yep. This is either a question of design (doubtful, the released the Q, typicaly japanese, everywhere, didn't they?) or market (K-01 is rather big for the mirrorless japanese market).

02-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Livewireshock Quote
Until it is coloured and shaped like a cartoon robot, then it will be ready for the Japanese domestic market. That is how the Kr/x/m was treated. I do not think that sort of design philosophy and Marc Newson match in any way shape or form. However, the K-01 is not matching many peoples design philosophies, it is certainly a love it or hate it result. Then again neither were the special robot editions.
Not too sure about your assessment of Marc Newson's reception in Japan, as he seems to be producing things that are a weird combination of Japanese design and 60s-70s futuristic. Nonetheless, the K-01 does seem to be polarizing opinion.
02-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
FYI - my computer translation of "日本での発売は未定" is "Pending sale in Japan" - does the original imply "undecided" and that just isn't easily translated?
My japanese isn't good enough to say really, but 未定 certainly can mean undecided. Plus, if marketers say "pending" it means it might not happen, in any language.
02-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
my japanese isn't good enough to say really, but 未定 certainly can mean undecided. Plus, if marketers say "pending" it means it might not happen, in any language.

ありがとう

It's just that several US websites say something about it being unavailable or not released yet and I wasn't sure that in Japanese 未定 might not serve the same meaning.
02-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I don't think so...Before launch in production, any head managers of any big company study the result of work. I think they like K-01.
02-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Wasn't the news on the 2nd of February a world-wide announcement? Do they not have the inter-web in Japan?

Jason
02-04-2012, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Wasn't the news on the 2nd of February a world-wide announcement? Do they not have the inter-web in Japan?

Jason
The overwhelming majority of Japanese folks don't understand English and tend not to look to outside sources.

Most likely they're holding off until the 9th - the K-5 price at Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera just dropped by a few thousand yen, which usually precedes an announcement by the manufacturer about a new model.
02-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #30
Banned

OMG you people are so clueless. The kids in Tokyo are shooting with Pentax 67s and the K-01 will be a big hit there and will have some Limited Edition colors also.

tokyo camera style - Shinjuku Pentax 67 TTL with...

Last edited by jogiba; 02-04-2012 at 07:03 AM.