Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #196
Site Supporter

Original Poster
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/174815-more-photos-cp.html#post1818005

Looks like the lens pics have the hood extended (note the scratches on the barrel) and some have noted there looks like a small red o-ring on the back.

02-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #197
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Green stripe near mount, and gold band for lens description = star lens. BAM.
02-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #198
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

And orange O-sealing under cap.
02-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Prices - My Sigma 500 purchase 6 months ago was $5000. I would think that is the absolute minimum discounted price a new quality Pentax lens would be sold for. If Pentax comes up with anything extra fancy you could be up near the $10,000 mark.
I think that is way off the mark Bob for a f5.6. The Canon 400/5.6 is US$1,200 there is not going to be a US$4,000 jump to a 550/5.6. Falk Lomo thought in his musings on a 500/5.6 , in Feb 2011, that it would be just under US$2,000. I am now thinking 2k to 2.5k and not more. Pentax want mass sales .. they won't get them by releasing an elitist lens (cost-wise).

EDIT. I didn't realise this thread had grown to 14 pages so Bob may have revised his thoughts since he posted the above quote !

02-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #200
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Sorry, that's not a gold band. Look at the enlarged photo on the Pentax press release. The band is titanium coloured. You can also clearly read DA in the large photo, no star.

A green stripe doesn't mean it's a star lens. My consumer zooms all have a green band around the barrel. If anything, the green stripe confirms that this is a DA lens.

You can see the full resolution photo here: http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/announce/20120208.html#feature
Go to Product Image and enlarge.

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-09-2012 at 09:00 AM.
02-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #201
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Sorry, that's not a gold band. Look at the enlarged photo on the Pentax press release. The band is titanium coloured. You can also clearly read DA in the large photo, no star.

A green stripe doesn't mean it's a star lens. My consumer zooms all have a green band around the barrel. If anything, the green stripe confirms that this is a DA lens.
Maybe WR
02-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #202
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote

You can see the full resolution photo here: PENTAX to Exhibit 7 Reference Products at CP+ 2012 Camera and Imaging Show
Go to Product Image and enlarge.
Yeah, I saw there wasn't any star; but I figured that it's just a prototype anyway so that text would change. I'm also a bit color blind so don't take my opinions on what is 'gold' and what is 'titanium' too seriously.
02-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #203
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm also a bit color blind so don't take my opinions on what is 'gold' and what is 'titanium' too seriously.
I think you're blinded by your desire for a star lens.

02-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #204
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does this 3000mm f12 come in a K-mount?
02-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #205
Inactive Account

Good fast quality optics will never die and be coveted by mannnnny.
Speculation wise I think?
Advancement in software engineering will be the next front. Software engineering is the future here. What you will see is optical engineers and software scientists working to design very fast optical system that meets today's demands.
1. Fast and light optical design.
2. Designed to be corrected in software.
3. mass production.
It is already being done. Personally I think 10-15 years. Which is the life cycle of the new Super Telephotos usually.
Canon and Nikon and others have not redesigned there fast Super telephotos for nothing. And if you think it is going to die in a few years you are wrong. IMO

I do think in 10-15 years you will see light weight very fast hybrid lenses at the consumer level. But not NOW.

And thinking camera ISO is going to solve the problem is another good solution. But one I personally think will accompany and help the above ONLY. People want high quality FF fasttttt lenses for video now. It is here.You have to pay the price. What a great time for cameras and lenses.
Interesting to watch.

Last edited by garyk; 02-10-2012 at 12:23 AM.
02-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
EDIT. I didn't realise this thread had grown to 14 pages so Bob may have revised his thoughts since he posted the above quote !
Hah this has been a good 14 page thread. Well we know it won't require a weight lifter to cart it around so that removes half the price of a big thumper. I will be as interested as everyone else at the price and a do hope it will be cheap enough to kick canon and nikon butt.
02-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #207

Was just looking back through this thread at some of the pics posted, particularly the set by jogiba, and was again struck by the similarity of this 'new' lens to some of the telescopes shown.

I may be an old fart, and probably at times think "they don't make 'em like they used to" but jeez, this new, you beaut 560mm f5.6 thing looks like something that was shoved to the back of a shelf in the R & D storeroom sometime in the Eighties.

Check out pic #3 in jogiba's post (#79) and you pretty much have a blueprint for the new lens, starting with the huge lens hood.

Let me say at this point that I don't dislike the appearance of the lens, and if the IQ is up to scratch it will go on top of my wish list.

Maybe 'Retro' is the new go?
02-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #208

I have been after telephoto lens for sometime, my first preference 600 f4 which I have tried to find without much luck. So when I started to hear about a new lens I was excited however the photos of the 560 f5.6 looks like three tubes stuck together and not much thought put into the way it looks compared to other telephoto lens.
So part of me says no thanks... But the other half says let's have a look and try before I think of buying .
02-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RussellW Quote
I have been after telephoto lens for sometime, my first preference 600 f4 which I have tried to find without much luck. So when I started to hear about a new lens I was excited however the photos of the 560 f5.6 looks like three tubes stuck together and not much thought put into the way it looks compared to other telephoto lens.
So part of me says no thanks... But the other half says let's have a look and try before I think of buying .
The looks of this lens is definitely not on the top of my list; it should be very utilitarian because past experience proves that the nicer a lens looks; the faster the finish wears off. It should be durable an do the job, just like a military Hummer. IMHO of course.
02-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #210
Veteran Member

If this lens is sub $2000 US I WILL buy this for our trip to South Africa which will be sometime in the next couple of years.
I was going to get a Bigma for this trip but this will be heaps sharper I'm guessing.