Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #361
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hasn't anybody wondered why this lens is white?? If it was black with a green ring, it would have looked less like something from the eighties.

02-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #362
Veteran Member

Perhaps to reduce heat adsorption from sunlight?

EDIT: Now that I think about it quite a few of the older Pentax super teles were white (A* 400 f2.8, F* 600 f4, F* 300 f4.5, A* 600 f5.6, A* 1200mm f8, A* 300 f2.8, etc.). The newer FA* superteles were silver (FA* 600 f4 comes to mind). I've heard the heat explanation bandied about before.

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 02-28-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Added clarification
02-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Perhaps to reduce heat adsorption from sunlight?

EDIT: Now that I think about it quite a few of the older Pentax super teles were white (A* 400 f2.8, F* 600 f4, F* 300 f4.5, A* 600 f5.6, A* 1200mm f8, A* 300 f2.8, etc.). The newer FA* superteles were silver (FA* 600 f4 comes to mind). I've heard the heat explanation bandied about before.
And that theory has been completley disproved - indeed maybe with the links in this very thread (but I'm not going back to check)
02-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Hasn't anybody wondered why this lens is white?? If it was black with a green ring, it would have looked less like something from the eighties.
Notice how everything modern in the camera world is looking retro... yeah.. probably same thing going on here...

02-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #365
Veteran Member

Ah... I understand, the barrel expansion only has infuence on the longer lenses. And that's why only the longer lenses are white, to reflect the sunlight.

Still I think it looks silly, having a big white lens on an all black camera.
02-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #366
Veteran Member

Ah... I understand, the barrel expansion only has infuence on the longer lenses. And that's why only the longer lenses are white, to reflect the sunlight.

Then buy a White K-r or K-x just for this lens

Maybe a silver K-5 could work with this?
02-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #367
Veteran Member

*bangs head on wall*

*directs Clavius further up the page*

02-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

It actually has effect on any camera and lens. I've tested; camera/lens temperature 20 degree Celsius and camera/lens minus 5 degrees Celsius. Theres a significant difference where infinity is depending on equipment temperature...
02-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #369
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Still hoping it turns out to be a zoom though....
I'd rather have a matched TC than a zoom, myself. Or perhaps I've just looked through the wrong zooms, but the zooms I *have* used usually kill the contrast.
02-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I'd rather have a matched TC than a zoom, myself. Or perhaps I've just looked through the wrong zooms, but the zooms I *have* used usually kill the contrast.
DA*60-250 does not. However, it's not 400-500mm range.
02-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #371
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
And that theory has been completley disproved - indeed maybe with the links in this very thread (but I'm not going back to check)
There was a lot of speculation, some links to studies about cars, and that was about it. Don't think you can call that "completely disproved"... Wikipedia says otherwise, but does not list a source (I added a citation needed tag so let's see if a source pops up )
02-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #372
Veteran Member

It would help if you would explain your rationale, rather than simply stating that something is wrong.
02-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
It would help if you would explain your rationale, rather than simply stating that something is wrong.
It would also help if you read through the thread properly instead of jumping in the middle ... then you'd know what I was referring to. I did mention, but it seems you chose not to bother reading through the thread again, already that the links were in this thread (or the other main 560mm thread) on this very subject, whereby a US Govt study no less stated there was no difference between white and black painted cars in regards to heat absorbtion. Nikon seem to have understood this.
02-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #374
Veteran Member

it would help if you read through the thread instead of jumping in the middle ... then you'd know what I was referring to.
I've read through the entire thread, and there's nothing that proves the heat/expansion-theory wrong.

And even if that theory was proven wrong, then it still doesn't neseccarily mean Pentax chose white for other reasons then preventing heat/expansion. Cameramakers aren't automatically aware of solid evidence presented in this forum.
02-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
There was a lot of speculation, some links to studies about cars, and that was about it. Don't think you can call that "completely disproved"... Wikipedia says otherwise, but does not list a source (I added a citation needed tag so let's see if a source pops up )
Well then, an official US Govt funded study vs a Wikipedia no source article .... let me ponder that one for a moment. *ponders* . Nope still going to go with the US study thanks