Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #481
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
My take is that your numbers are close. The competition seems to have 600 f/4's price at around 10k. Making them
a little slower and a little shorter, and maybe skimping on the quality a little will let them undersell the competition
by some but not a whole lot.

Also, the competition (Nikon and Canon) sell far larger quantities of these lenses than Pentax can ever hope for. Pentax super telephotos are from a time when the company was less focused on profit. I'm sure they were loss leaders. How many 1200/8 did they sell?

03-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #482
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I dunno, seems like Pentax has been less focused on profit since they were jettisoned from Hoya.
03-28-2012, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #483
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Also, the competition (Nikon and Canon) sell far larger quantities of these lenses than Pentax can ever hope for. Pentax super telephotos are from a time when the company was less focused on profit. I'm sure they were loss leaders. How many 1200/8 did they sell?

Once again agreed. I doubt the 560 will ever be a profit center no matter how they price it. I think the old ASHAI folks made lenses
because they liked to make lenses. But it did sell cameras--- at least a few. I made a fairly considered decision to go with Pentax
as the brand of choice in the screw mount days (around 1970) I studied the various choices pretty carefully recognizing that once I started
with a brand it would be quite difficult (and expensive) to change. My plan was to select a brand that was affordable, that seemed likely
to be around for a while and accumulate lenses etc. over a lifetime to build a system. Although there were others then as now,
the finalists in my search included Canikon and Pentax.

I felt then that Pentax was a lens company selling cameras, and that their glass was a good buy---as good or better than the competition and priced lower. More than 40 years down the road I have had no reason to change my opinion. I think long glass is something that Pentax needed to do. because an optical system isn't complete without it, but a big seller it won't be.
03-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #484
Site Supporter

Dear Ricoh,

Please release this lens so we can put this thread out of its misery.

Sincerely,
Quicksand

03-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #485
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Dear Ricoh,

Sincerely,
Quicksand
Agreed.
03-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #486
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Dear Ricoh,

Sincerely,
Quicksand
Or at least release all the specifications such as the optical forumla so that people actually have something to discuss
03-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #487
Site Supporter

I also agree that Pentax-Ricoh ... would release some new information about this lens.

It sure looks like Pentax is going to make us salivate until they announce that the lens will not, after all, become reality in 2012.
They've pulled that sort of trick in the past on their previous lens roadmap and I am very reluctant to think otherwise.

I need a longer focal such as this 560mm for the type of photography I do, and the only thing that has made me hold on ordering a Sigma 500/4.5 is that Pentax has been teasing us with this recent announcement.

So I will be patient to some extent ... maybe to the end of the summer 2012.

JP
03-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #488
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

So I will be patient to some extent ... maybe to the end of the summer 2012.

JP
I would think you need to be patient until after September 23rd when Photokina ends. No news by then and it will most definitely be a 2013 release. they could of course announce a launch at any time since launches are less and less tied to big trade shows in the last couple of years

03-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #489
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I would think you need to be patient until after September 23rd when Photokina ends. No news by then and it will most definitely be a 2013 release. they could of course announce a launch at any time since launches are less and less tied to big trade shows in the last couple of years
Not sure I will wait until 2013 to get a 500mm-ish lens but I am certainly willing to add a couple of months to my 2012 waiting if Pentax finally "walk their talk" by summer end/Fall 2012.

(still waiting for the SDM TC they had announced previously ! :ugh

JP
03-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #490
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't envy Ricoh trying to rebuild the lost capacities and abilities Hoya stripped from the company. It makes getting things to market much more difficult.
03-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #491
Pentaxian

I need a longer focal such as this 560mm for the type of photography I do, and the only thing that has made me hold on ordering a Sigma 500/4.5 is that Pentax has been teasing us with this recent announcement. So I will be patient to some extent ... maybe to the end of the summer 2012.
I'm exactly in the same situation. Just hope 560/5.6 would be a bit lighter and hopefully cheaper.
03-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #492
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I don't envy Ricoh trying to rebuild the lost capacities and abilities Hoya stripped from the company. It makes getting things to market much more difficult.
Spot on, Eddie. It's not hard to put more money into something (advertising, for example) but replacing lost talent and re-bulding culture is very, very difficult. It takes constant focus, hard work, and often a long time.

I will assume that Ricoh knew at least as much as we think we do and thought themselves prepared for the journey. Hiring back engineers was probably a very good sign, particularly for a Japanese company. A US-based company might hire them back as an interim step then push them back out when the new kids are ready to take over. I don't believe that Ricoh think that way.
03-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #493
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Spot on, Eddie. It's not hard to put more money into something (advertising, for example) but replacing lost talent and re-bulding culture is very, very difficult. It takes constant focus, hard work, and often a long time.

I will assume that Ricoh knew at least as much as we think we do and thought themselves prepared for the journey. Hiring back engineers was probably a very good sign, particularly for a Japanese company. A US-based company might hire them back as an interim step then push them back out when the new kids are ready to take over. I don't believe that Ricoh think that way.
Frankly, this is not my concern and I sure don't feel sorry for Ricoh-Pentax.

What concerns me are "announcements" of supposedly upcoming lenses and other gear by Pentax (Ricoh-Pentax) and the total lack of a timely follow up after teasing the public.
You may well call that a "business plan" but, in my books, this just doesn't cut it.

It would be interesting to know how many people have already acquired a 500mm-ish lens recently, and from another brand, because they wouldn't/couldn't wait for Pentax to release one.

JP
03-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #494
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
I'm exactly in the same situation. Just hope 560/5.6 would be a bit lighter and hopefully cheaper.
We shall see when Pentax releases it, whenever that could be.

For me, the wait will be until end of Summer/early Fall 2012 ...

Sigma looking good right now, even with the hefty price.

JP
03-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #495
Veteran Member

What concerns me are "announcements" of supposedly upcoming lenses and other gear by Pentax (Ricoh-Pentax) and the total lack of a timely follow up after teasing the public.
You may well call that a "business plan" but, in my books, this just doesn't cut it.
So you're saying it would have been better if they didn't release the lens roadmap and showed off the DA 560mm on the show?

I'm actually happy they released a sort off plan on where they are working on, it gives a sense of security for me that Ricoh isn't dropping Pentax and that they have some interesting lenses coming up.
When the DA 560 is ready for mass production i'm sure they will announce the lens with the final specs and i hope they have the philosophy not to work with a deadline, i rather have them release the lens when it's done so we know we get a good product.