Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #586
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,312
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I don't need the (lack of) DOF of a 560 f/4. I do want the autofocus performance of an F4 though, and I would like to be able to AF with a T/C. I don't really agree with your f8.9... sure Pentax will A/F there but really it's a slow and inaccurate process.
it is F6.9 not 8.9 pentax wont reliably AF at F8.9, i know, Ive tried by using a 1.7x AF TC on an F5.6 lens, it just wont lock ever. but at F6.9 (by using my 1.7x AF TC on a K300/4) it is fast and reliable even in relatively low light.
QuoteQuote:
The brighter screen is a welcome bonus but not required.
agreed on both counts
QuoteQuote:

I hope they use an intermediate/rear filter like most other lenses this size do. I'm not sure what 500/f4.5 you're talking about but the sigma 300 f/2.8 and the sigma 500 f/4.5 use rear filters..
Tamron offer both options, rear and front on their 300/2.8
QuoteQuote:

I think it's been announced that's it's a 5.6, but I could be mis-remembering.
F5.6 would lead to a front attachment thread size (if they offered) of about 112mm. which is why I think they will remain somewhere in this range..

05-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #587
Senior Member
french_mike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland and France
Posts: 167
i'm not sure it will be " * " because of the f5.6

for the DFA-DA -> imagice a new FF body with automatic crop (like Nikon), if the lense send information that it is a DA, the camera will automaticly crop the image ... not that good i think
05-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #588
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,160
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
D FA WR is not a new designation, however as in the D FA 100/2.8 WR macro. I think it will by either a DA, DA* or D FA WR and don't see the point of D FA*.
I see DFA*, just not for this model. FA* were not WR lenses so it muddies the issue. making them DFA* could remedy that (like oh say a nice DFA* 24 F2.0
05-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #589
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
it is F6.9 not 8.9
Sorry, the screen I'm using right now is zoomed way out and I didn't correct it before reading your post. 6.9 is obviously much better than 8.9.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Tamron offer both options, rear and front on their 300/2.8 F5.6
I believe both of the Sigma 500/4.5 and sigma 300/2.8 offer a front filter as a second option. I'm not 100% sure of it though... I do recall that the actual lens was different than the spec on the website for at least one of the lenses, and being pleasantly surprised by that.

05-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #590
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I see DFA*, just not for this model. FA* were not WR lenses so it muddies the issue. making them DFA* could remedy that (like oh say a nice DFA* 24 F2.0
I didn't say the FA* were WR. We aren't talking about them, but the current line. The D FA 100/2.8 WR is WR and its not a * lens. What I mean is that if it is a D FA lens, the can seal it and call it a D FA WR without the * designation. The new macro is a premium built lens however a lot like a sealed Limited.



PENTAX - smc PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR


However, Ricoh has hedged there bets when the implied it would be an economical tele and it could be like the DA 18-135mm WR, DA 18-55 and 50-200 WR lenses. What I am getting at is there is no need to combine D FA or DA and * for a WR lens. About the only thing a * would indicate on a D FA lens that D FA WR doesn't is an implied SDM motor. However, the newest sealed economy zoom has a DC motor.

Last edited by Blue; 05-16-2012 at 01:09 PM.
05-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #591
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I didn't say the FA* were WR. We aren't talking about them, but the current line. The D FA 100/2.8 WR is WR and its not a * lens. What I mean is that if it is a D FA lens, the can seal it and call it a D FA WR without the * designation. The new macro is a premium built lens however a lot like a sealed Limited.



PENTAX - smc PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR


However, Ricoh has hedged there bets when the implied it would be an economical tele and it could be like the DA 18-135mm WR, DA 18-55 and 50-200 WR lenses. What I am getting at is there is no need to combine D FA or DA and * for a WR lens. About the only thing a * would indicate on a D FA lens that D FA WR doesn't is an implied SDM motor. However, the newest sealed economy zoom has a DC motor.
Absolutely, there is no need to combine WR and * and they haven't in some cases in the past.

Just to be clear, my thought was that it was BOTH going to be WR and was going to be 'close-to-high-enough-quality' to warrant being a * lens.
05-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #592
Senior Member
Talisker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Isle of Skye, Scotland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 262
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I believe both of the Sigma 500/4.5 and sigma 300/2.8 offer a front filter as a second option. I'm not 100% sure of it though... I do recall that the actual lens was different than the spec on the website for at least one of the lenses, and being pleasantly surprised by that.
No front filter option on the Sigma 300/2.8. Front element is about 114mm (just measured it!).
05-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #593
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
Original Poster
You have the newest version?

05-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #594
Senior Member
Talisker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Isle of Skye, Scotland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 262
No, it's the non-DG, but there is nothing in the spec sheets anywhere that I've seen that suggests they added a front filter option. As far as I know, all they did in the non-HSM DG models was alter the lens coatings and change the pattern on the grip... Sigma only seen to make filters up to 105mm (which fit the 120-300mm zoom) which is perhaps another clue.
05-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #595
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I didn't say the FA* were WR. We aren't talking about them, but the current line. The D FA 100/2.8 WR is WR and its not a * lens. What I mean is that if it is a D FA lens, the can seal it and call it a D FA WR without the * designation. The new macro is a premium built lens however a lot like a sealed Limited.
But the DA* arent WR they are AW
05-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #596
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
No, it's the non-DG, but there is nothing in the spec sheets anywhere that I've seen that suggests they added a front filter option. As far as I know, all they did in the non-HSM DG models was alter the lens coatings and change the pattern on the grip... Sigma only seen to make filters up to 105mm (which fit the 120-300mm zoom) which is perhaps another clue.
I apologize for having such a poor memory but my very specific recollection when I looked at both is that they did NOT match the spec sheet that was online. So I guess I'm no help at all.

...and they might've corrected the spec sheet since then.
05-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #597
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,047
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
they are AW
That is a new one on me, I was under the impression that they were weather-proof.
05-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #598
Veteran Member
PePe's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 452
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You have the newest version?
I have the DG versions of the 300/2,8 and the 500/4,5.
There is a place for a rear filter element in both of them - a pretty smart design -, but no thread for a front filter.
05-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #599
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,160
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That is a new one on me, I was under the impression that they were weather-proof.
it is, all DA* are better sealed than the lower price WR

Pentax descriptions

18-55WR
Its weather-resistant construction offers excellent reliability in damp, inclement conditions.

DA* 16-50
The tightly sealed, weather-resistant and dust-resistant construction enhances durability for use in both rainy and dusty conditions
05-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #600
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,047
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it is, all DA* are better sealed than the lower price WR

Pentax descriptions

18-55WR
Its weather-resistant construction offers excellent reliability in damp, inclement conditions.

DA* 16-50
The tightly sealed, weather-resistant and dust-resistant construction enhances durability for use in both rainy and dusty conditions
I was getting confused by the AW rating, not sure what that refers to.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
500mm, lens, pentax 560mm, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA 50mm, DA 560mm, D-FA 645 90mm to be revealed at CP+ Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 56 02-10-2012 08:56 AM
Leitz 560mm f/6.8 Telyt-R - first shots and impression Piotr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 05-11-2009 02:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top