Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #601
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I was getting confused by the AW rating, not sure what that refers to.
AW (All Weather) is used by Pentax for DA/DFA 645 25mm f/4 AL [IF] SDM AW and DFA 645 55mm f/2.8 AL [IF] SDM AW.

05-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #602
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might be "All Weather"
05-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #603
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
It might, see just above your post
05-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #604
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
I really must live in a box, never seen that acronym before. At least not from Pentax!. Just checked 16-50, no such thing on the lens.

05-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #605
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
is used by Pentax for DA/DFA 645
My apologies, I do not live in the 645D territory, therefore was not acquainted with the elite terminology.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 05-17-2012 at 05:30 PM.
05-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #606
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It might, see just above your post
We were posting almost in the same time (2min. apart). You are first, no problem
05-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #607
Loyal Site Supporter

I think he was being a little sarcastic actually. but DA* lenses are a higher level of sealing than conventional WR so a different designation would make some sense (marketing wise anyway)
05-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #608
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think he was being a little sarcastic actually. but DA* lenses are a higher level of sealing than conventional WR so a different designation would make some sense (marketing wise anyway)
Thank you sir. that is what i thought also.

05-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #609
Veteran Member

When Pentax released the DA Star lenses, I believe they didn't thought about getting out a lower level of weather sealing. DA Star are "AW" lenses (All weather)... The WR are "Weather Resistant", and as has been pointed out already - a lower level of weather protection. I don't know the actual differences in real figures.. but the term WR suggest shorter splashes of water, while DA Stars can stand continuously heavy rain and it is OK to take them into the shower..
05-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #610
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
is OK to take them into the shower..
no-one should see me in the shower (maybe when i was 20), I can think of a few girls i would gladly loan a 16-50/k5 combo though on the condition i get copies of all files
05-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #611
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I am not so sure of that regarding the D FA 100/2.8 WR. It is built as well as any DA* except for the SDM.
05-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #612
Veteran Member

It is not about build quality per se, but about the sealings.
It is not about a lens being metal or plastic, and the D FA 100 Macro WR has very nice build quality yes. But WR does indicate a simpler sealing than DA Stars. WR = Weather Resistant, not Weather Protected or All Weather. The DA Stars was marketed as weather protected. We've had discussion about this before and also Pentax stating officially that WR means a simpler sealing than the DA Stars have. I don't have the link at hand to that info right now, it was long time ago... But sealing is better than no sealing, and the WR can stand some splash
05-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #613
Site Supporter

It is not about build quality per se, but about the sealings.
It is not about a lens being metal or plastic, and the D FA 100 Macro WR has very nice build quality yes. But WR does indicate a simpler sealing than DA Stars. WR = Weather Resistant, not Weather Protected or All Weather. The DA Stars was marketed as weather protected. We've had discussion about this before and also Pentax stating officially that WR means a simpler sealing than the DA Stars have. I don't have the link at hand to that info right now, it was long time ago... But sealing is better than no sealing, and the WR can stand some splash
This is what the marketing in the U.S.A. says:

WR zooms

QuoteQuote:
Weather-resistant to handle damp, inclement conditions.
D FA WR macro

QuoteQuote:
With high-quality, weather-resistant construction, it delivers clear, high-contrast images from both telephoto and macro perspectives.

WR Weather-resistant design is ideal for use on popular PENTAX weather resistant DSLR bodies.
DA*

QuoteQuote:
The tightly sealed, weather-resistant and dust-resistant construction enhances durability for use in both rainy and dusty conditions, making the DA Star 300mm F4 ED (IF) SDM lens a perfect companion for the weather-resistant PENTAX DSLR bodies.
06-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #614
Site Supporter

The D FA WR macro has the typical FA lens design where the focusing tube is cut open to show the current focus setting. Water can actually go between the tube and the focusing ring. With the DA* lenses you have a plastic window covering the focusing ring - the whole design of the DA* is about a closed system with internal focusing, while the WR (100 macro) have some seals in the right place, but no internal focusing, .... I did not feel weel with the 100 m WR lens in the rain, but it worked so far.
With Pentax you have no option between WR and DA* lenses there either exists a DA* lens with a certain focal length (range) or a WR lens...
06-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #615

The DA Stars was marketed as weather protected. We've had discussion about this before and also Pentax stating officially that WR means a simpler sealing than the DA Stars have. I don't have the link at hand to that info right now, it was long time ago... But sealing is better than no sealing, and the WR can stand some splash
It's in the smc Pentax-DA Interchangeable Lens operating manual that comes with new DA lenses. In my manual for the DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR, the following explanation is on page 7:
"About dustproof, water resistance, and simplified weather resistance

* Dust-proof and water-resistant lenses

[lists all the DA* lenses]

These DA* lenses are dust-proof and water resistant because each part is individually sealed. This makes it difficult for dust and water to enter the lens.

* Lenses with simplified weather-resistant construction

[lists the then two WR kit lenses]

These lenses are made with a simplified weather-resistant construction by using DA* lens sealing technology which makes it difficult for water to enter the lens."
In my later 100mm F2.8 DFA macro WR lens, the manual says:
"Features of this lens

This lens is made with a simplified weather-resistant construction, which makes it difficult for water to enter the lens."
So WR is definitely less weather resistant than DA*.

Last edited by Dave L; 06-02-2012 at 01:50 PM.