Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #706
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The truth is that usually those sales persons don't give a f*** about Pentax and only work there to obtain an income. That's not wrong of course but don't expect talking with a Pentax enthusiast... This is true for any brand. So I would only attend those meetings if you want to try the cameras and lenses because usually the information you'll get from the salesperson is plain wrong.

07-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #707
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The truth is that usually those sales persons don't give a f*** about Pentax and only work there to obtain an income. That's not wrong of course but don't expect talking with a Pentax enthusiast... This is true for any brand. So I would only attend those meetings if you want to try the cameras and lenses because usually the information you'll get from the salesperson is plain wrong.

Most likely very correct. I will not trust the sales person. Still there is an outside slim chance that there is an internal lens roadmap that is more current than the public one that came out this past spring, and that on this internal lens roadmap the DA560 has been removed. Still I will vote for the sales person not knowing what future products is in the pipeline.

Dave
07-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #708
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Still there is an outside slim chance that there is an internal lens roadmap that is more current than the public one that came out this past spring, and that on this internal lens roadmap the DA560 has been removed.
This. If it doesn't show up at Photokina then I will assume it is dead.
07-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #709
Veteran Member

We can be fairly sure that the Photokina is the place to be after this summer. I also expect more technical details to emerge about this elusive lens, maybe even the full specs.

07-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #710
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Most likely very correct. I will not trust the sales person. Still there is an outside slim chance that there is an internal lens roadmap that is more current than the public one that came out this past spring,
In that case, the salesperson would've probably known about the roadmap WITH the 560 lens, too, and wouldn't have pretended like the customer was completely misinformed.
07-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #711
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
This. If it doesn't show up at Photokina then I will assume it is dead.
Agreed!

That's why I am presently and seriously considering the Sigma 500/4.5 if the 560 doesn't materialize by Fall 2012.

JP
07-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #712
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Agreed!

That's why I am presently and seriously considering the Sigma 500/4.5 if the 560 doesn't materialize by Fall 2012.

JP
+1 but the sigma cost so much cash..
07-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #713
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Yeah... I know Dane !

Remains to be "seen" if this Pentax lens will have the IQ similar to that of the Sigma ... time will tell.

JP

07-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #714
Pentaxian

I hope all this buzz about the lens is true. I hope something special is there, e.g. telescopic design, utilizing two focal lengths or travel compactness at least, weather proofing, very sharp and contrasty output, you name it. Otherwise this ridiculously long lens doesn't make sense. Let's hope for the better, though.
07-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #715
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
I hope all this buzz about the lens is true. I hope something special is there, e.g. telescopic design, utilizing two focal lengths or travel compactness at least, weather proofing, very sharp and contrasty output, you name it. Otherwise this ridiculously long lens doesn't make sense. Let's hope for the better, though.
They're certainly not going to not release a lens at photokina.
And they're well aware of how the lens should be designed to fit in a niche. It can't be too expensive, or it won't sell.
I doubt that will mean ED glass. WR I find likely. Collapsible just makes sense since it's a long design, but we really don't know much. The earlier mockups weren't the real thing, that's for sure. I hope the AF is good, too.
07-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #716
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
They're certainly not going to not release a lens at photokina.
Ah, Lamytax here has either inside information, or is able to predict the future. Tell us more, please...

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
I doubt that will mean ED glass. WR I find likely. Collapsible just makes sense since it's a long design, but we really don't know much. The earlier mockups weren't the real thing, that's for sure. I hope the AF is good, too.
Based on what?
07-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #717
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
+1

On a sidenote (plan B), could the sigma 300 F2.8 with 1.4 T/C (420mm F4) be an alternative?
07-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #718
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
+1

On a sidenote (plan B), could the sigma 300 F2.8 with 1.4 T/C (420mm F4) be an alternative?
At about 5.5lb (with TC) the Sigma 300/2.8 gets close enough to Sigma 500/4.5. Probably in anticipation of coming (hopefully) Pentax 560/5.6 I noticed a few recent appearances of the Sigma 300/2.8 on used market. One is still available at B&H used now.
07-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #719
Veteran Member

I prefer the idea of the 560 F5.6WR but there is still no information on price and performance. The 500 F4.5 is way too expensive for my taste so a 300 F2.8 would be more in my league if the 560 is going to cost more than that. Especially since I allready have the sigma converter.
07-27-2012, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #720
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
+1

Hi TenZ,

Personally, I'm quite satisfied with a 300/2.8 + TCs as alternatives to a 500m+ lens for my purposes (primarily birding). I have a Tamron SP 300 f2.8 LD [IF] (mod 60B) Adaptall 2, a Sigma EX 300 f2.8 APO, and an FA* 300 f2.8 ED [IF], and primarily use them with TCs and the P 1.7x AFA (AF 510mm f4.8), sometimes stacked (1.4x + the 1.7x AFA to get an AF 714mm f6.7). I have and use a Tamron F 1.4x MC4 AF TC and a Sigma EX 1.4x APO AF TC, and use these with the Sigma and Pentax 300s to get an AF 420mm f4 if the FL and/or lens speed is appropriate. With a fast 300 and TCs, I can get the reach I want with all the quality that I need for my purposes without the huge additional expense and bulk of carrying multiple ultra tele primes. The AFA gives me the benefits of very fast AF with a widely adjustable narrow-range focus limiter and little IQ degradation with these premium lenses (there is, of course, a trade off since the lens needs to be manually brought within the focusing range of the AFA so it can work). The AFA is also the only AF TC that automatically converts the f stop value of "A" capable lenses to a rounded effective f stop including the TC magnification.

DS and the Tamron SP 300 f2.8 + 1.7x AFA (510mm), 1/250, f7.1 (effective --@ f4 on the lens), handheld, some light PP applied --PF correction and some sharpening to offset the downsizing

A 100% crop with no PP close to center of frame

K20 and the FA* 300 f2.8 + 1.7x AFA + Sigma EX 1.4 APO AF TC (714mm), 1/100, f10 (effective -- @ f4.2 on the lens) shot from a tripod with a Sidekick, cropped vertically to 5x7 @ 1/2 frame and sharpened to offset downsizing

A 100% crop from the lower center of the cropped frame with no PP

If you're looking for an AF setup that you can handhold, especially with the high ISO IQ and AF light sensitivity for AF of the K-5, my most used long lens combination for birding is the FA* 300 f4.5 + 1.7x AFA at 510mm f7.7. I've been using this combo since the DS with great results for handheld shooting.. Compared with any AF alternative close to the FL, this combo is about the most economical and versatile for a lightweight (@ 2 lb) AF setup at @ 500mm.

K100 and the FA* 300 f4.5 + 1.7x AFA (510mm) 1/400, f8 (wide open at the lens) handheld. Full frame width cropped to 8x10 on the long side and sharpened to offset downsizing

I like the FA*'s very solid hood and ability to switch between AF to MF with just a tug of the focus ring so I can use CIF (Focus Trap) instantaneously, otherwise the F* version would have been an equivalent alternative. The F* version also has a detachable tripod mount, but I have two different clamp on tripod rings that fit my FA*, so this advantage is negated for the most part, and i handhold this lens @ 99% of the time. The M* and A* 300 f4 would be a lower cost substitutes, but with the disadvantages of considerably more CA/PF from the lack of the highest quality ED elements, a hair less sharpness wide open, and no AF at 300mm. I've owned an A*, but sold it when I was able to obtain my current FA*. I have also recently acquired a Canon FD 300 f4 L that was converted to K mount, and this lens works very well with the AFA -- optically, this lens is pretty much equal to the FA* IMO, but it obviously lacks AF alone as well as aperture automation.The DA* 300 f4 is a great alternative optically since it is, IMO a tiny bit sharper and a half stop faster than the FA*, but it's bigger, heavier, and more expensive. I'd also consider the Sigma EX 100-300 APO in this group of lenses, though it is considerably bigger and heavier.

The new 560 would have to be a totally stunning performer both optically and in AF speed, plus be an outstanding bargain and very lightweight for its apparent size -- for me to even consider it as a viable addition to what I already have.

Scott