Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #751
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
I have a Pentax 560mm in my hand right now. It's called a Pentax-F 100mm Macro on a Pentax Q. Bet mine will be faster and focus closer than the one Pentax releases!
AF speed? :P

QuoteOriginally posted by coreyhkh Quote
I have given up on this lens and I have my eyes set on a canon 500 f4. Still keeping my Pentax though its weather sealing is hard to ignore.
You've given up... why?
The roadmap states release in 2012, which most likely means photokina.

08-20-2012, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #752
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VladimirYo Quote
Why so long?
As you may or may not know a 1.4x teleconverter makes each and every APS-C lens suitable for FF (at the expense of some IQ loss). As such it wouldn't be stupid to assume the TC will be announced along with the mythical FF in 2013.
08-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #753
Pentaxian

interesting...
08-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #754
Site Supporter

I think we are discussing the same details of a not yet presented/existing lens as a couple months ago when the road map popped up.
Anything larger than a 5.6/560 mm will be too expensive/big for the Pentax line up, anything with smaller diameter will cause AF and converter trouble. Such a lens requires a 10 cm diameter front element, so it will cost as much as a 2.8/300 bascially. It woun't be much less expensive than a Sigma 4.5, but it should be well integrated in the Pentax lineup. Anything but the best will be disappointing. DA* glass, weather sealing, light weight, ... are key factors.

08-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #755
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
As you may or may not know a 1.4x teleconverter makes each and every APS-C lens suitable for FF (at the expense of some IQ loss). As such it wouldn't be stupid to assume the TC will be announced along with the mythical FF in 2013.
... unless Pentax would at last present an AF converter designed for APS-C which physically limits the frame size. Pentax has yet to present a TC for digital, i.e. APS-C, cameras.
08-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #756
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I think we are discussing the same details of a not yet presented/existing lens as a couple months ago when the road map popped up.
Anything larger than a 5.6/560 mm will be too expensive/big for the Pentax line up, anything with smaller diameter will cause AF and converter trouble. Such a lens requires a 10 cm diameter front element, so it will cost as much as a 2.8/300 bascially. It woun't be much less expensive than a Sigma 4.5, but it should be well integrated in the Pentax lineup. Anything but the best will be disappointing. DA* glass, weather sealing, light weight, ... are key factors.
As I understand it, the 560mm is a DA lens for cropped sensor, so would require a smaller front element of roughly 67mm (ie 2/3s the size of that for full frame). Therefore cost should be significantly less than Sigma 500/4.5, and so should the weight and diameter also be less.
08-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #757
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
As I understand it, the 560mm is a DA lens for cropped sensor, so would require a smaller front element of roughly 67mm (ie 2/3s the size of that for full frame). Therefore cost should be significantly less than Sigma 500/4.5, and so should the weight and diameter also be less.
The smaller front element is still due to the f/5.6 and not because it has a light a slightly smaller circle (I'm very confident it'll still light FF anyway).

500/4.5=~111mm
560/5.6=100mm
08-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
As I understand it, the 560mm is a DA lens
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
The smaller front element is still due to the f/5.6 and not because it has a light a slightly smaller circle (I'm very confident it'll still light FF anyway).

500/4.5=~111mm
560/5.6=100mm
As LamyTax told you, i.e., there is no difference between APS-C and full frame glass for focal lengths significantly larger than the required image circle.

However, the Pentax lens may be better suited for APS-C indeed. It surely has an image circle larger than full frame. But if rumors apply, the lens uses scope optics and aberrations may increase rapidly off centre, making it less suitable outside the center region, maybe even the APS-C center region.

08-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #759
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
aberrations may increase rapidly off centre, making it less suitable outside the center region, maybe even the APS-C center region.
Who knows. Until it gets released and tested, it may be somewhat rash to speculate on its flaws.
08-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #760
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by coreyhkh Quote
I have given up on this lens and I have my eyes set on a canon 500 f4. Still keeping my Pentax though its weather sealing is hard to ignore.
Given it is slated for 2012 and photokina next month is the first big show since it dropped on the roadmap i imagine the final version will show there and be available in tie for the Christmas sales season (so mid october shipping)
08-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #761
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Who knows. Until it gets released and tested, it may be somewhat rash to speculate on its flaws.
That's true, we don't even know how it's built. Their statement about scopes could have meant anything.

If it's really a telescope calculation, it'll likely suck both at the borders and at close focus distances. But it doesn't really have to be.

There are a couple of good lens designs with few elements which don't need much of the expensive glass. A small front element (given by focal length/aperture) and the lack of IS reduces the costs by quite a bit, even more so if you don't use any too expensive glass.
08-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #762
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
There are a couple of good lens designs with few elements which don't need much of the expensive glass. A small front element (given by focal length/aperture) and the lack of IS reduces the costs by quite a bit, even more so if you don't use any too expensive glass.
Are you saying that it's now possible to build superb telephoto lenses without very high quality and ED glass (which even all the good telescopes use) - I wonder if Nikon/Canon know this instead of charging many thousands for their monsters
08-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #763

Earlier would have been nice

I was really hoping they'd have released this for summer; I do most of my bird photography during the summer months, and I really could have used this lens. If they release in the fall, I'll likely put off the purchase( assuming the price isn't too astronomical) until spring 2013.

Any other rumours as to release/MSRP?
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #764
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sean Quote
I was really hoping they'd have released this for summer; I do most of my bird photography during the summer months, and I really could have used this lens. If they release in the fall, I'll likely put off the purchase( assuming the price isn't too astronomical) until spring 2013.

Any other rumours as to release/MSRP?
of course fall release is just in time for the aussies and kiwi's to get into bird shots
08-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #765

I'm glad the timing works well for Pentaxians in Australia and New Zealand!
Assuming of course this turns out to actually be released this fall...