Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #901
Pentaxian

A bit of a data point; there is a Nikon 600 f4 at KEH for $8500. Used.

This market values lenses at the shots they couldn't get otherwise. Longer, faster allows you to get shots of things you couldn't otherwise. A friend has a very nice Nikon 300mm f2.8, stabilized and very fast focus action. He uses a 2x teleconverter, giving him 600mm 5.6. He gets great shots, clear and sharp. His kit was somewhere around $6500 or so plus body. But, a big but, he can't get the thing to focus on birds in flight against the forested mountain background.

For all the moaning and complaints about the K-5 focus, using a cheap 170-500mm sigma on my K5 it focuses just fine in that situation. The sigma focuses quickly even using screw mount, if it hunts it finds it very quickly. His will hunt at lightning speed back and forth without finding focus.

Assuming all else equal, that the IQ is excellent, and the DC focus motor is fast, mounted on a K5 or even better the new version, Pentax shooters may be going home with shots that others couldn't get. Then word will spread about the quick shift function as well, and people will be imagining the shots they missed and could have got with Pentax gear.

Will I buy it? It is a bit long for my style of shooting. 300mm is a bit too short, I am using a manual 400mm f4 and enjoying the length. I get close for small birds which is my preference. The Sigma 500mm f4 is tempting as well. The promised TC from pentax will be in my bag as soon as it is released.

09-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #902
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
huh???
You're discussing a lens without knowing its specifications?

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
LamyTax, you are repeating this quite sour rant endlessly... I just looked it up, a Canon 600mm can't focus closer than 5.5m, a Nikon 5m, what do you want?
Is it brand loyality that makes you say that
600mm/5.5m or 600mm/5m is compareable to 560/5.6m?
It is not. It translates to higher magnification ratios with both the Nikon and the Canon. And every bit counts because then you don't have to crop (7000$ for a lens so you have to rely on cheap extension tubes and cropping? Awesome!).
Especially considering that for the Canon, you even have great working extension tubes available made by Canon.

Since the 560 is between 600 and 500, you might as well compare it to the 500/4, not much better. Matter of fact, it's not the longest lens but has the longest MFD.
The 560 isn't a birder's dream, or anyone who shoots smaller animals, for that matter.
I'm not sure what you guys are shooting, but you seldomly use such a long lens at long range anyway. IQ will suffer due to atmospheric disturbances. MFD, however, really matters.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
He want Pentax lenses to be given away for free...
Yes, yes, exactly. When you like the 560 that much, have you placed a preorder yet? I'm thrilled to find out how it will do on extension tubes. Or on 2x TC... oh, wait...

Last edited by LamyTax; 09-16-2012 at 11:02 PM.
09-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #903
Veteran Member

I do but i've no idea what you mean with that sentance.

Why on earth do you need to focsu that close with such a lens, just get a macro lens

Last edited by Anvh; 09-17-2012 at 08:40 AM.
09-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #904
Pentaxian

Maybe he wants to fill the frame with a sparrow?

09-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #905
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
You're discussing a lens without knowing its specifications?
Is it brand loyality that makes you say that
Yeah, right, makes perfect sense. Sorry if I won't argue with you on that, but...
09-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #906
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And hand hold and track it. That be awesome, should be doable with the new AF module, I am getting the K-5II.
09-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #907

Having seen the Footage at Photokina i got a real impression of how big this lens is, i cant think that it would be comfortably hand holdable, not because of the weight itself,but because it appears to be front heavy. I primarily shoot birds with my Sigma 150-500mm, and have been following this thread with great interest, but my hunch is that this lens would only be usable with a tripod or monopod, both of which i personally feel limiting when taking pictures of birds. I sure would have hoped for a collapsible design (not to speak of the price ;-) ). But i to think that the Sigma 500mm seems more attractive every day.

09-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #908
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
Having seen the Footage at Photokina i got a real impression of how big this lens is, i cant think that it would be comfortably hand holdable, not because of the weight itself,but because it appears to be front heavy. I primarily shoot birds with my Sigma 150-500mm, and have been following this thread with great interest, but my hunch is that this lens would only be usable with a tripod or monopod, both of which i personally feel limiting when taking pictures of birds. I sure would have hoped for a collapsible design (not to speak of the price ;-) ). But i to think that the Sigma 500mm seems more attractive every day.
It would depend on the tripod that I would use if it would feel limiting. A friend of mine has the 800mm Canon and uses it with a gimbal head. His setup is an absolute pleasure to use.

The Vivitar 1.4x teleconvter is compatible with the Sigma 500mm F/4.5. It slows down my autofocus but I have taken some sharp shots with the combo as seen here.

09-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #909

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
It would depend on the tripod that I would use if it would feel limiting. A friend of mine has the 800mm Canon and uses it with a gimbal head. His setup is an absolute pleasure to use.
I have not yet used a Gimbal Head, but i assume that it allows very fluid movements. I really have not really used a tripod or monopod a lot because i like the flexibility that i get when holding the lens by hand, i also use a Camera Harness by Opteka which resembles the Cotton Carrier, that does no allow me to have a ball head plate attached at the same time as the accessory used to hold the camera and lens in place while walking, so i would only use a tripod or monopod when at a very open space like a lake or wetland, or if im sure that the bird will not move in a long time.

Those are some great pics of the Kestrel, the Sigma 500mm delivers excellent detail! The Sigma 500 f4,5 is definitely on my wishlist.
09-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #910
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
Those are some great pics of the Kestrel, the Sigma 500mm delivers excellent detail! The Sigma 500 f4,5 is definitely on my wishlist.
Thanks... I will also say those shots were cropped along with 99% of my bird photos. It is tough to get close to kestrels and the above bird was somewhat cooperative. Because of that reason, an APS-C 560mm wouldn't bother me much.

My dream lens would be a Sigma 650mm F/4.5 with a teleconverter.
09-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #911
Pentaxian

mgbirder: A monopod with gimbal gives you a stable base along with the ability to follow moving birds. In this racket you don't gain something except by giving something else up, so indeed you lose some mobility. On the weekend I was following an osprey for a good 5 minutes as it flew around and over me. I couldn't handhold for that long. I use the Jobu Jr 3 gimbal on their monopod. It is quite light and very stable. I use it on a tripod from time to time, but as you say it is good for more static objects.

09-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #912
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Not only sparrows... but yes!
Either way, I've just got myself a Bigma. I had saved up 3500$, that leaves quite a lot for next year's camera releases and a K5II.
09-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #913

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
mgbirder: A monopod with gimbal gives you a stable base along with the ability to follow moving birds.
Thanks, i will try to get hold of a Gimbal and try out this setup.
09-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #914

There is a new video of the 560mm lens out there:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/199553-hd-pentax-da-56...rst-video.html

I kind of like it more every second...
09-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #915
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Price in Germany according to Geizhals Deutschland:
€6999 (about $9000)