Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LBA just kicked in... The wife is not going to be happy... )))

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-26.030856,28.057327

02-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That is a smashing looking piece.
+1

One can tell Marc Newson had nothing to do with.

OK, OK, I won't mention him anymore. At least I'll try to.
02-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Amateur astronomers rank photo tele lenses highest, refractive scopes second and reflective scopes (mirrors) last. So, Pentax making refrence to astronomical telescopes is not a good sign. Astronomical telescopes have too few lens elements to really compete with photo tele lenses.

Sure, the difference is minimized by small nominal apertures (around f/8 refractive, f/11 reflective) where scopes are almost diffraction limited only. But photo tele lenses can be sharper at wider nominal apertures, at f/5.6 and below; requiring more lens elements, 10 or more.

I would be very disappointed to learn the DA 560 f/5.6 is crippled, with only 4-8 lens elements and no or only one ED element. Such a lens can be replaced by a DA* 300 with a sensor with small enough pixel pitch.
Is it better off to have a DA*300 on Q?
02-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amateur astronomers rank photo tele lenses highest, refractive scopes second and reflective scopes (mirrors) last. So, Pentax making refrence to astronomical telescopes is not a good sign. Astronomical telescopes have too few lens elements to really compete with photo tele lenses.

Sure, the difference is minimized by small nominal apertures (around f/8 refractive, f/11 reflective) where scopes are almost diffraction limited only. But photo tele lenses can be sharper at wider nominal apertures, at f/5.6 and below; requiring more lens elements, 10 or more.

I would be very disappointed to learn the DA 560 f/5.6 is crippled, with only 4-8 lens elements and no or only one ED element. Such a lens can be replaced by a DA* 300 with a sensor with small enough pixel pitch.
Hmmm...I'll be interested in hearing more about the makeup of the 560. I have the 100 SDUF-II, which is a 4 element design. I haven't used it yet for photography as I need the adapter, but it's specifically designed for medium format photography. The sales blurb from pentax....

"Image quality is very good over the entire, huge corrected photographical field. The real Strehl ratio is still above 90% which is astonishing for an instrument of this extreme focal ratio. As a result the 100 SDUF-II is not only an ultimate telelens for photography, but also a wonderful, ultra-compact travel scope."

I'm sure someone will test the new lens wide open when it's available. I'll be interested in hearing the result.

02-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Anyway, based on the photo it clearly is an IF lens. So the name on the lens itself is not complete yet. I guess it will officially become the SMC Pentax-DA* 560mm f/5.6 ED [IF].

And because of the f/45 on the distance scale it seems to have a lot in common with for instance the FA* 400mm f/5.6 and the A* 600/5.6 (both of which also went down to f/45).

Last edited by Asahiflex; 02-08-2012 at 12:29 AM.
02-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #96
Veteran Member

I guess they are keeping secret the full specs from the other companies. If it a 560/5,6 full DA* lens, with all the bells and whistles of super tele but at a fraction of the cost of a Canikony 600mm, it could have a huge sales potential. I think many would come to Pentax just for that tele.
02-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Why are people so eager to think to the worst (im)possible scenario? First assuming it's a mirror lens, now when we know it's not, this.
Let's find out the details first, and then complain about it possibly being crippled. If it will be the case, and I'm sure it wouldn't.

02-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #98
Veteran Member

I like it! Looks too big for travel though (in my current bags that is), but depending the price I'll certainly consider this one for my local birding. Perhaps I might have to do sth about its colour though. I could live with the silver, but this white is too bright for my liking. Tape or paint?

Strange thing is the filter insert? I wouldn't think filters are much use on this kind of lens? Not in the digital age anyway? Ok, polarizers, ND filters and IR filters still have their purpose, but on a 560mm lens? Or perhaps the knob near the mount isn't for a filter, but for sth else?

The hood on the picture looks as if it's not extended as there is some glass visible. So it could be even longer in practice? Or are we looking at a picture with the hood extended?

Wim
02-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Another suggestion I read elsewhere (don't know whether on this forum or anywhere else), but the ribbed ring(s) between the mount and the distance scale might indicate that this lens could be disassembled into two parts for easier transport? Would that be possible while keeping good quality?

Wim
02-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Another suggestion I read elsewhere (don't know whether on this forum or anywhere else), but the ribbed ring(s) between the mount and the distance scale might indicate that this lens could be disassembled into two parts for easier transport? Would that be possible while keeping good quality?

Wim
Yep, that was indeed talked about including here.
02-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Just saw it on the other thread. Looks like there's two switches, if you look closely? I'm gusesing that rear 'black knurling' is for a polarizer?
Get the K-mount to Q-mount adapter and stick the Q on the back of this thing.. It'll look like you're just walking around with a lens
02-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why are people so eager to think to the worst (im)possible scenario? First assuming it's a mirror lens, now when we know it's not, this.
Let's find out the details first, and then complain about it possibly being crippled. If it will be the case, and I'm sure it wouldn't.
I hope you don't mean me

E.g., I never thought it's a mirror. But people may be curious to hear what I think when I see the announcement. And so I said it. In summary, I am thinking it may not be as exciting as "560/5.6" suggests. It is a good thing to dampen expectations a bit if they become (IMHO) unrealistically high. Of course, I hope like everybody else that the lens will be great.

But my analytical brain always tries to fnd the most probable scenario, if I may use your term.
02-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #103
Pentaxian

I believe it extends into the mirrorbox and thus only fits on the new K-01.
02-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #104
Pentaxian

falconeye:
Indeed, you haven't said anything about a mirror lens - others did. Sorry for not being clear.
IMO the most probable scenario is: this lens will be good, and relatively affordable. I don't expect it to be the best, though; probably that 13.000 euro 500mm f/4 Sony will beat it
The most probable scenario is not: we don't know anything about the optics (besides focal length and maximum aperture) but it should be bad, just because Pentax said something about telescopes. Again, I'm not talking specifically about you.
I agree, having reasonable expectations is the best.

Gimbal, you're joking, right?
02-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I believe it extends into the mirrorbox and thus only fits on the new K-01.
That doesn't make sense. There would be no value in restricting it's (native) use to the K-01 family, which is new and even by the end of 2012 may only have a limited presence in the marketplace. Meanwhile they have a substantial population of K-mount camera users who could buy and use this lens straight away.