Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There exist Leitz Telyts 560 (with 5.6 and 6.8 variants), which - as far as I remember - only consist of two lens elements optically. I still possess a special Novoflex rapid focus version of this lens. However, since going digital, I never really used it. With film and the LX, I was satisfied with the results. A similar design with some corrections in the optical path could allow a decent performance (with AF), the main disadvantage being the size of the device. See e.g. this picture . By the way, the Novoflex construction can be disassembled into several parts. A rumor, which is not new for a possible Pentax extreme tele: Patent

02-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That doesn't make sense. There would be no value in restricting it's (native) use to the K-01 family, which is new and even by the end of 2012 may only have a limited presence in the marketplace. Meanwhile they have a substantial population of K-mount camera users who could buy and use this lens straight away.
Gimbal was ironic IMO but he forgot the smiley
02-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Gimbal was ironic IMO but he forgot the smiley

Right you are.
02-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #109
Pentaxian

In typical PF fashion, ppl are dismantling the good news to make bad ones

Pentax does not make bad lenses. (full stop)
So be it telescope, mirror, whatever, it will meet at least a certain standard for its price.
I am sure it won't have an optical performance like those Bower/Vivitar/etc "telescopes" on ebay.
I don't expect it to be Sigma 500/4.5 or 600/4 standard w/o a DA* designation.
But the price won't be like a DA* either.

This is really a very good move by Pentax to address the needs of its user base, w/o busting anyone's bank.

02-08-2012, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

It's said they did a bad lens, once - just to see how it is. It was so awful, they gave the design to Canon - thus, the L series was born

Indeed, it won't be a cheap lens so it cannot be bad, not even average; it has to be good. I think you're also spot on with the price, they had to make it relatively affordable otherwise very, very few would buy it.

In other words, we'll have a good yet affordable long tele. Bad news
02-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I like it! Looks too big for travel though (in my current bags that is), but depending the price I'll certainly consider this one for my local birding. Perhaps I might have to do sth about its colour though. I could live with the silver, but this white is too bright for my liking. Tape or paint?

Strange thing is the filter insert? I wouldn't think filters are much use on this kind of lens? Not in the digital age anyway? Ok, polarizers, ND filters and IR filters still have their purpose, but on a 560mm lens? Or perhaps the knob near the mount isn't for a filter, but for sth else?

The hood on the picture looks as if it's not extended as there is some glass visible. So it could be even longer in practice? Or are we looking at a picture with the hood extended?

Wim
I agree, looks like the hood is not extended. I still like polarizers to cut through some haze/fog, especially early in the morning.
02-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
In typical PF fashion, ppl are dismantling the good news to make bad ones

Pentax does not make bad lenses. (full stop)
So be it telescope, mirror, whatever, it will meet at least a certain standard for its price.
I am sure it won't have an optical performance like those Bower/Vivitar/etc "telescopes" on ebay.
I don't expect it to be Sigma 500/4.5 or 600/4 standard w/o a DA* designation.
But the price won't be like a DA* either.

This is really a very good move by Pentax to address the needs of its user base, w/o busting anyone's bank.
I don't take the color of the line/dot on the lens roadmap to be gospel. Even if it WERE gospel, it could still be a 'limited' lens while being a green dot. We'd lose weathersealing, which would be a bummer, but it'd still be great optically.

02-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I don't take the color of the line/dot on the lens roadmap to be gospel. Even if it WERE gospel, it could still be a 'limited' lens while being a green dot. We'd lose weathersealing, which would be a bummer, but it'd still be great optically.
I posted a large photo of the lens on DPR. You can clearly see the writing on the barrel. It says DA, not DA*.
02-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I posted a large photo of the lens on DPR. You can clearly see the writing on the barrel. It says DA, not DA*.
Yup, even on the picture in this thread you can see it if you squint. It also doesn't seem to say 'limited' at the end of the text.

I'm just not sure how much that means with a picture of a prototype. I will remain an optimist for the time being.
02-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why are people so eager to think to the worst (im)possible scenario? First assuming it's a mirror lens, now when we know it's not, this.
Let's find out the details first, and then complain about it possibly being crippled. If it will be the case, and I'm sure it wouldn't.
I expect the 560 to be a very good telephoto. I have a few Pentax telephotos and I also have one of the telescopes and this was the first I have heard of the image quality being reduced in a telescope. Pentax telescopes are known as a premium product and they are priced accordingly, so if you wanted to save money, you would most likely buy a photography telephoto lens and not an astronomical telescope. It's my understanding that Pentax specific telescopes are designed specifically with photography in mind.

I expect the 560 to be a superb. Not only can Pentax claim experience in making telephoto lenses, they can draw from their experience in astronomical telescopes as well. It makes perfect sense to state this within the release literature as this is a strength that Pentax has over it's competitors. They still make and sell eyepieces.....I'm hoping they crank out a new telescope now as well.

Last edited by SteveM; 02-08-2012 at 07:41 AM.
02-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have asked a couple of questions on this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/173775-new-pen...ml#post1815225
posts no.: 293-294.

but just recently found out about this one thread here.

Does anyone here have any "serious" (i.e.: confirmed) information about this 560/5.6 ?

Thanks,

JP
02-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I expect the 560 to be a very good telephoto. I have a few Pentax telephotos and I also have one of the telescopes and this was the first I have heard of the image quality being reduced. Pentax telescopes are known as a premium product and they are priced accordingly, so if you wanted to save money, you would most likely buy a photography telephoto lens and not an astronomical telescope. It's my understanding that Pentax specific telescopes are designed specifically with photography in mind.

I expect the 560 to be a superb. Not only can Pentax claim experience in making telephoto lenses, they can draw from their experience in astronomical telescopes as well. It makes perfect sense to state this within the release literature as this is a strength that Pentax has over it's competitors.
I was always under the impression that Pentax was a great optics maker especially in the field of hunting scopes and telescopes, so thanks for letting me know your firsthand experience.

It's said they did a bad lens, once - just to see how it is. It was so awful, they gave the design to Canon - thus, the L series was born

Indeed, it won't be a cheap lens so it cannot be bad, not even average; it has to be good. I think you're also spot on with the price, they had to make it relatively affordable otherwise very, very few would buy it.

In other words, we'll have a good yet affordable long tele. Bad news
ahahaha...!
02-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I was always under the impression that Pentax was a great optics maker especially in the field of hunting scopes and telescopes, so thanks for letting me know your firsthand experience.
I also found this forum and they mentioned the DA560 (they measure telescopes by the size of the front element it seems): Telescope Reviews: New Pentax 100mm F5.6 ED coming ?
02-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
There exist Leitz Telyts 560 (with 5.6 and 6.8 variants), which - as far as I remember - only consist of two lens elements optically. I still possess a special Novoflex rapid focus version of this lens. However, since going digital, I never really used it. With film and the LX, I was satisfied with the results. A similar design with some corrections in the optical path could allow a decent performance (with AF), the main disadvantage being the size of the device. See e.g. this picture . By the way, the Novoflex construction can be disassembled into several parts. A rumor, which is not new for a possible Pentax extreme tele: Patent
A lot of info about this lens can be found in Erwin Puts' book or any Leica forum. The design dictates the length and the doublet or triplet construction (400, 560, 800 mm lens line) yields great performance in the center and fairly low performance off center. The 5.6 was sold later as 6.3 or 6.8 just a more realistic opening. Still a light weight lens. A new design including AF, auto aperture, low CA, ... will be a completely new lens with quite different specs.
Btw do not forget the Apo-Telyt 4/560 and 5.6/560 mm modular series.
Soon we will have to answer the question why buy a 5.6/560 when you can still get a 2.8/300 used for probably the same money. The 300 with a 2x converter makes a "handy" 5.6/600. The 2x converter is yet missing on the Pentax list.
02-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So be of good cheer, Pentaxians.

Why are people so eager to think to the worst (im)possible scenario? First assuming it's a mirror lens, now when we know it's not, this.
Let's find out the details first, and then complain about it possibly being crippled. If it will be the case, and I'm sure it wouldn't.
IMHO Pentax skeptics, the snobs in the CaNikon groups and the many of us who are simply no longer trusting and optimistic, are in for a big surprise over the next three years. Who you are will determine whether the suprise comes with a smile or a smarts.

IMHO Ricoh has already started to change Pentax into a more aggressive competitor while (hopefully) retaining/restoring the old DNA of creativity, fine optics, compactness and a dose of benign eccentricity.

I believe in a year we will look back and wonder at how quickly we got to where we will have gotten to (?). 2013 will be even more exciting, and 2014 will be a year such as we haven't seen in 45.

So be of good cheer, Pentaxians, Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.

I encourage you to think of all the possibilities, not just the possible outcomes that will disappoint you!
  • its a mirror
  • its a tele refractor
  • its a DA
  • it couldn't be a DA*, could it?
It can be a DA*.