Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
If this lens is sub $2000 US I WILL buy this for our trip to South Africa which will be sometime in the next couple of years.
I was going to get a Bigma for this trip but this will be heaps sharper I'm guessing.
Well, in consideration, the Bigma probably will be easier to use than this thing!

"Honey, look, a rabbit 15 feet from us!"
"crud................."

02-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well, in consideration, the Bigma probably will be easier to use than this thing!

"Honey, look, a rabbit 15 feet from us!"
"crud................."

... or

Honey look a rabbit behind us ........ smack !!
02-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Silly question. This lens reminds me of those really cheap 500 or 1000mm "telescope" design lenses that you see all the time on ebay, etc. Is it possible that Pentax took the basics of one of those designs, then gave it fairly good glass, coatings and higher manufacturing standards? If that is the case, could we see a fairly inexpensive ($799) price tag for a lens that delivers so so optical performance?

Aimed at moon snappers, parents shooting a soccer game, dudes with "equipment" envy? Is this one of those, "we owned the design patents from our telescope group, so we're slapping them together with a k-mount because we can?" Not sure if I'm crazy, perhapsI'm trapped in an eternal stream of pessimism.
02-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #214
Pentaxian

One thing is for sure: optically it must be better than a Bigma, otherwise no-one is going to buy the 560mm lens from Pentax. They're not stupid!

02-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #215
Veteran Member

a Bigma for this trip but this will be heaps sharper I'm guessing.
to be seen
02-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #216
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
... or

Honey look a rabbit behind us ........ smack !!
and TA-DA dinner is taken care of
02-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #217
Pentaxian

I was going to get a Bigma for this trip but this will be heaps sharper I'm guessing.
The Pentax is a prime, and the Bigma doesn't seems so sharp over 200mm.

Of course, until we'll see some tests people would gladly speculate how it should be the worst telephoto ever. I'm willing to bet how the first samples will be rejected as fakes, for being way too sharp.

02-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #218
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's definitely not a 'definite' yet that this is better than the Bigma...

But remember that the Bigma isn't really at it's best until f/8 or even f/11, and is probably a bit optimistic when calling itself a '500mm' lens.
02-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rude Quote
Silly question. This lens reminds me of those really cheap 500 or 1000mm "telescope" design lenses that you see all the time on ebay, etc. Is it possible that Pentax took the basics of one of those designs, then gave it fairly good glass, coatings and higher manufacturing standards? If that is the case, could we see a fairly inexpensive ($799) price tag for a lens that delivers so so optical performance?

Aimed at moon snappers, parents shooting a soccer game, dudes with "equipment" envy? Is this one of those, "we owned the design patents from our telescope group, so we're slapping them together with a k-mount because we can?" Not sure if I'm crazy, perhapsI'm trapped in an eternal stream of pessimism.
Do you have $10,000 or $15,000 to spend on a ~600mm telephoto? I don't and you can bet that most Pentaxians don't either.

Canon and Nikon have a large base of existing customers to draw from, so even if they only sell an expensive telephoto to a tiny percentage of customers, they can still sell a number of them. Pentax used to be included in this group when it was selling millions of cameras, which is exactly when we saw their legendary telephotos on the market. That is not the case today and they know it.

The only other reason to produced an extremely expensive telephoto is to give your product line credibility. Sony is rumoured to be releasing a $15,000 telephoto, but Sony is also wanting to be seen as a photographic company and (for right or wrong) not just an electronics company. Some could argue that Pentax is in the same boat, but either they don't feel that way due to their history, or (more likely) Hoya had no interest in creating a loss leader when they were trying to create a condition to sell the company.

If your interest in a new Pentax telephoto stops at reading about how it stacks up against the best from other brands for bragging rights, then you probably won't like this lens. If you would like to be able to add Pentax as a possibility if you are in the market for a ~600mm telephoto, then this should be viewed as good news.
02-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #220
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To me, that Sony lens is almost a joke. 500mm at f/4 is ridiculously thin DOF. The only reason IMO to have f/4 it is to be able to add a TC. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have 1000mm f/8 in the arsenal, but for $17k I'd probably buy myself and Mrs. ElJamoquio a pair of new-to-us cars.
02-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #221
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Do you have $10,000 or $15,000 to spend on a ~600mm telephoto? I don't and you can bet that most Pentaxians don't either.

Canon and Nikon have a large base of existing customers to draw from, so even if they only sell an expensive telephoto to a tiny percentage of customers, they can still sell a number of them. Pentax used to be included in this group when it was selling millions of cameras, which is exactly when we saw their legendary telephotos on the market. That is not the case today and they know it.

The only other reason to produced an extremely expensive telephoto is to give your product line credibility. Sony is rumoured to be releasing a $15,000 telephoto, but Sony is also wanting to be seen as a photographic company and (for right or wrong) not just an electronics company. Some could argue that Pentax is in the same boat, but either they don't feel that way due to their history, or (more likely) Hoya had no interest in creating a loss leader when they were trying to create a condition to sell the company.

If your interest in a new Pentax telephoto stops at reading about how it stacks up against the best from other brands for bragging rights, then you probably won't like this lens. If you would like to be able to add Pentax as a possibility if you are in the market for a ~600mm telephoto, then this should be viewed as good news.
the Sony is in fact wildly overpriced for what it is at double the canon and nikon price and is built to order only. It may well be the best 500mm ever built but it won't matter because it won't sell more than a handful

The 560 5.6 is a good start point for Pentax IMHO and as the base expands they can release higher end faster super telephotos but you need the affordable solution first a sub $2000 big lens wil sell in volume even with the current smaller user base and also draw users who may have discounted the brand because there wasn't an option. In the interim while the base grows there will still be the Sigma option for faster for the few who decide they need it, and at some point the big fast glass will reappear (or sensor tech will make it irrelevant as long as the slower glass is sharp enough)
02-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
To me, that Sony lens is almost a joke. 500mm at f/4 is ridiculously thin DOF. The only reason IMO to have f/4 it is to be able to add a TC. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have 1000mm f/8 in the arsenal, but for $17k I'd probably buy myself and Mrs. ElJamoquio a pair of new-to-us cars.
When you have world-class AF, 500/4 isn't that ridiculous. Not sure how Sony's AF is, but I know Nikon sports pros can shoot wide open with the 500/4 without fear.
02-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #223
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
When you have world-class AF, 500/4 isn't that ridiculous. Not sure how Sony's AF is, but I know Nikon sports pros can shoot wide open with the 500/4 without fear.
At 100 feet you're talking a foot or so DOF. You're right, if you're further away and nail AF you could be OK.
02-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today it seems I'm incapable of forming coherent sentences. Let me rephrase my question for Pentax pundits:

Am I nuts for thinking this could be a sub-$1,000 consumer grade lens?

Just seems like most people think this is going to be an expensive piece of equipment to compete with Sigma EX lenses, etc.

BTW, I agree with you SteveM, and if I was taking pictures of lions on the Serengeti, I'd be shooting with a Canon or Nikon. Maybe pro caliber long glass will someday come to Pentax ("beyond" the current roadmap) if Pentax/Ricoh makes a run for a third camera maker for Pros. But I guess my point is, this isn't going to be it.
02-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rude Quote
Today it seems I'm incapable of forming coherent sentences. Let me rephrase my question for Pentax pundits:

Am I nuts for thinking this could be a sub-$1,000 consumer grade lens?

Just seems like most people think this is going to be an expensive piece of equipment to compete with Sigma EX lenses, etc.
I don't think so Rude .. but the 120-380 (or whatever it is going to be) could well be ?