Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #646
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It's landscapes only there.
Thats what they want you to believe . . . . .

07-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #647
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Then I'd pack a UWA lens though, not the coming 560mm. It's landscapes only there.
If it's sharp/sharpest at f 5.6-f6.3 I think it will do very well depending on it's price point
07-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #648
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I'm wondering if they are having issues with AF at 5.6 in even moderate light on the K-5.
Should be fine since you will mostly shoot at with decent light levels unless you want to shoot some stars with it but focusing on that isn't hard
07-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #649
Veteran Member

If this thing isn't made to be FF compatible... that would almost suggest there's no FF body in the horizon, otherwise, it's a big missed opportunity to get professionals to be interested in Pentax I think... Unless this thing is going to be 'dirt cheap' comparatively and they have a whole separate lens roadmap they plan to release upon release of a FF body.

07-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #650
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd literally bet on the lens being full-frame...., if there are anytakers.
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #651

of course it will be, even the 200 and 300 DA* are (and a good few other)
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #652
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
If this thing isn't made to be FF compatible... that would almost suggest there's no FF body in the horizon, otherwise, it's a big missed opportunity to get professionals to be interested in Pentax I think... Unless this thing is going to be 'dirt cheap' comparatively and they have a whole separate lens roadmap they plan to release upon release of a FF body.
My guess is that it is full frame compatible, since that isn't so hard to acchief for such a lens.

I think this isn't a professional grade lens (like the pro-lenses from Canon/Nikon costing more then $ 5000), but more in the under $ 2500 advanced amateur lenses.

07-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #653
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
more in the under $ 2500 advanced amateur lenses.
I guess the only real prime competitor for it on Pentax is the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX DG APO, which is US$5000 at B&H. If they can bring it in for a few grand under that they will do very well.
07-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #654
Site Supporter

I never really understood why Pentax discontinued the FA* 600/4 ED [IF]. It was always out of my price range. However, it was almost a special order item anyway. I think dropping it hurt their catalog. Same thing with the FA* 250-600/5.6 ED [IF]
07-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #655
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
of course it will be, even the 200 and 300 DA* are (and a good few other)
But those lenses are totally different constructions. The coming DA 560/5.6 will be much cheaper (but longer!) than a conventional ED IF telephoto and will be currently the only one of its type that I'm aware of. It seems to be of the same telescopic construction as the old Leitz Telyt 560mm lens explaining its lenght. These lenses are compromized optics suffering from fuzzy corners (the Leica lens did). This is of course not a problem for an APS lens. Hence, it is reasonably to expect that Pentax choose this construction because it makes a value for money package for APS (actually most of Pentax coming high-end lenses seems to be about making unique APS lenses with no FF counterpart anywhere). It will almost certainly cover FF but don't expect sharp corners....
Theres nothing on Pentax roadmap suggesting FF. If FF lenses are in the works they are not on the map...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 07-10-2012 at 04:38 PM.
07-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I never really understood why Pentax discontinued the FA* 600/4 ED [IF]. It was always out of my price range. However, it was almost a special order item anyway. I think dropping it hurt their catalog. Same thing with the FA* 250-600/5.6 ED [IF]
Probably money loosing items. Besides, a 600/4 is a hell to use....
My guess is that they had a single person in Japan assembling the lenses. Moving this "production" to Vietnam was probably not worthwhile...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 07-10-2012 at 05:00 PM.
07-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #657
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
But those lenses are totally different constructions. The coming DA 560/5.6 will be much cheaper (but longer!) than a conventional ED IF telephoto and will be currently the only one of its type that I'm aware of. It seems to be of the same telescopic construction as the old Leitz Telyt 560mm lens explaining its length....
....Theres nothing on Pentax roadmap suggesting FF. If FF lenses are in the works they are not on the map...
What makes you think it's telescopic?
The knob at the end looks to be for a built-in lens hood, the knob in the middle is for the tripod mount, and the knob near the mount is for a drop-in filter. Apart from the colour, it looks exactly like a DA* lens to me.
And there are other lenses on the roadmap which strongly suggest a full frame might be on the horizon....
07-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
What makes you think it's telescopic?
The knob at the end looks to be for a built-in lens hood, the knob in the middle is for the tripod mount, and the knob near the mount is for a drop-in filter. Apart from the colour, it looks exactly like a DA* lens to me.
And there are other lenses on the roadmap which strongly suggest a full frame might be on the horizon....
It has the optical construction similar to telescopes. It is a true telephoto lens; ie it is 560mm long at least.
What other lenses on the roadmap suggest FF? All says strictly APS and neither do the focal lenghts suggest FF.
However, I would not worry too much about the 560mm is FF compatible or not; I cant imagine many that would work with FF instead of APS in this focal lenght range. And where is that 840mm FF lens anyway?

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 07-10-2012 at 05:50 PM.
07-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #659
Pentaxian

There is a question about their being an FF coming? When a company official says they'd only develop an FF if it could offer something unique... he's already started the hype. The downside of that is that the Nikon D800 at 36 Mp has raised the bar considerably. It's hard to guess at this point what FF offering would be acceptable. Most are suggesting that 24 Mp is the next bar for APS-c. Could anyone actually offer a new model FF at less than 30? And Pentax has a 645 at 40 Mp, so they are really boxed in. I have the feeling I'm going to be using my K-5 for a long time.

The thing is, if Pentax doesn't already have a team with an FF camera under development, it's reached the point where it might be too late to jump in. If it's not out in the next year to year and a half, it's probably not coming. Everyone who considers FF critical already has one. Their only market is Pentax users with FF glass, hoping for an FF option. Most of the pros left long ago.
07-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #660
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just a bump to keep this thread alive. Pentax did say 2012 for release.
Attachment 133974
'Photokina in september along with the K-5 replacement. Hopefully we will see the Limited zoom and the 16-85/2.8(?) as well...