Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I have a Tamron SP 300 f2.8 LD [IF] (mod 60B) Adaptall 2, a Sigma EX 300 f2.8 APO, and an FA* 300 f2.8 ED [IF], and primarily use them with TCs and the P 1.7x AFA (AF 510mm f4.8), sometimes stacked (1.4x + the 1.7x AFA to get an AF 714mm f6.7). I have and use a Tamron F 1.4x MC4 AF TC and a Sigma EX 1.4x APO AF TC, and use these with the Sigma and Pentax 300s to get an AF 420mm f4 if the FL and/or lens speed is appropriate.
Scott, your images are always stunning! What is you take on the Sigma 300/2.8 specifically? How it stands against the FA*300/2.8? Is it better than FA*300/4.5 can deliver at, let say, F5.6-6.3? Would you share any images taken with it and any 1.4X TC?

07-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #722
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
I prefer the idea of the 560 F5.6WR but there is still no information on price and performance. The 500 F4.5 is way too expensive for my taste so a 300 F2.8 would be more in my league if the 560 is going to cost more than that. Especially since I allready have the sigma converter.
I used to own quite a few of 1.4X TCs (6 or 7, I guess). More or less I tried them with the FA*300/4.5, Tamron 400/4, Both EX and EX DG Sigma 100-300/4, and Sigma 400/5.6 TeleMacro. Even on genuine Sigma lenses the Sigma 1.4X APO EX DG was one of the worst performers. The older non-DG Sigma APO EX was kind of on par with the cheapest Vivitar 1.4X AF (the Vivitar appeared to be re-branded Tamron 1.4X Pz-AF, however). What I noticed also (and it might be only mine impression) all Sigmas are less forgiving to agressive cropping than Pentax FA*.
07-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #723
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi TenZ,

Personally, I'm quite satisfied with a 300/2.8 + TCs as alternatives to a 500m+ lens for my purposes (primarily birding).

If you're looking for an AF setup that you can handhold, especially with the high ISO IQ and AF light sensitivity for AF of the K-5, my most used long lens combination for birding is the FA* 300 f4.5 + 1.7x AFA at 510mm f7.7. I've been using this combo since the DS with great results for handheld shooting.. Compared with any AF alternative close to the FL, this combo is about the most economical and versatile for a lightweight (@ 2 lb) AF setup at @ 500mm.

I like the FA*'s very solid hood and ability to switch between AF to MF with just a tug of the focus ring so I can use CIF (Focus Trap) instantaneously, otherwise the F* version would have been an equivalent alternative. The F* version also has a detachable tripod mount, but I have two different clamp on tripod rings that fit my FA*, so this advantage is negated for the most part, and i handhold this lens @ 99% of the time. The M* and A* 300 f4 would be a lower cost substitutes, but with the disadvantages of considerably more CA/PF from the lack of the highest quality ED elements, a hair less sharpness wide open, and no AF at 300mm. I've owned an A*, but sold it when I was able to obtain my current FA*. I have also recently acquired a Canon FD 300 f4 L that was converted to K mount, and this lens works very well with the AFA -- optically, this lens is pretty much equal to the FA* IMO, but it obviously lacks AF alone as well as aperture automation.The DA* 300 f4 is a great alternative optically since it is, IMO a tiny bit sharper and a half stop faster than the FA*, but it's bigger, heavier, and more expensive. I'd also consider the Sigma EX 100-300 APO in this group of lenses, though it is considerably bigger and heavier.

The new 560 would have to be a totally stunning performer both optically and in AF speed, plus be an outstanding bargain and very lightweight for its apparent size -- for me to even consider it as a viable addition to what I already have.

Scott
Snostorm, thank you very much for your detailled information (wich doesn`t make it easier, lol). And yes, I`m looking for an AFsetup.
I allready have the sigma 100-300 F4 wich is an absolutely great piece of glas but I want something longer. As I said I also own the sigma 1.4 APO EX DG converter but that combo is far from satisfying and thus rarely use it.
You also mention the DA*300 but wasn`t this one a little sluggish on the AF, especially when combined with a converter?

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
I used to own quite a few of 1.4X TCs (6 or 7, I guess). More or less I tried them with the FA*300/4.5, Tamron 400/4, Both EX and EX DG Sigma 100-300/4, and Sigma 400/5.6 TeleMacro. Even on genuine Sigma lenses the Sigma 1.4X APO EX DG was one of the worst performers. The older non-DG Sigma APO EX was kind of on par with the cheapest Vivitar 1.4X AF (the Vivitar appeared to be re-branded Tamron 1.4X Pz-AF, however). What I noticed also (and it might be only mine impression) all Sigmas are less forgiving to agressive cropping than Pentax FA*.
Yes, this is something I also noticed. 100% crops from the 100-300 alone are better than 50% crops from the 1.4/100-300 combo wich makes the converter useless to me. I bought this combo together but now I still stuck @ 300mm. Exactly the reason why I`m so interested in the DA560 F5.6.
08-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #724
Veteran Member

Bumping this in the hope that Pentax haven't forgotten about this lens, and that there will be some news soon about it's release - at Photokina perhaps.

08-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #725
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Bumping this in the hope that Pentax haven't forgotten about this lens, and that there will be some news soon about it's release - at Photokina perhaps.
You think Pentax will read this forum and then remember?

The reason why there's nothing in here is simple, no official information available.
Oh, and I can't wait to strap it on a Q. The diffraction might cause problems, though.

Last edited by LamyTax; 08-19-2012 at 01:55 AM.
08-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #726
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Oh, and I can't wait to strap it on a Q. The diffraction might cause problems, though.
Haha wow, that I have to see
08-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #727
Veteran Member

You think Pentax will read this forum and then remember?
Well, yeah I guess not. Pentax probably don't pay much attention to this forum. Maybe it is all pissing in the wind.

But if they want to get serious in the market (as Ricoh have indicated that they want to) a lens like the 560mm for sports (and wildlife) shooters needs to be in their line-up. Perhaps the logic of that proposition means that Pentax doesn't need to have users regularly pestering them on the Internet about actually delivering on this lens.

08-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #728
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Snostorm, thank you very much for your detailled information (wich doesn`t make it easier, lol). And yes, I`m looking for an AFsetup.
I allready have the sigma 100-300 F4 wich is an absolutely great piece of glas but I want something longer. As I said I also own the sigma 1.4 APO EX DG converter but that combo is far from satisfying and thus rarely use it.
You also mention the DA*300 but wasn`t this one a little sluggish on the AF, especially when combined with a converter?
Yes, it is. This is the combination I use when birding (50% of my photography) - DA*300+AFA x1.7. The other frustrating aspect of this combination is that you can not use MF only - as the AFA is very independent minded and will want to focus no matter what it's attached to.

If Pentax do not come out with the camera I want, or/and the 560, at Photokina then for my birding I am switching brands with the D800/Sigma 500 and Nikon x1.7 or x2 TCs (the D800 has a DX mode - which the 5DIII lacks - and Nikons TCs are supposed to be better than Canon's). I played with the D800 a little yesterday - it did not feel either heavier or larger than the K5.
08-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #729
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Well, yeah I guess not. Pentax probably don't pay much attention to this forum. Maybe it is all pissing in the wind.

But if they want to get serious in the market (as Ricoh have indicated that they want to) a lens like the 560mm for sports (and wildlife) shooters needs to be in their line-up. Perhaps the logic of that proposition means that Pentax doesn't need to have users regularly pestering them on the Internet about actually delivering on this lens.
The work on it should be done by now. It's supposed to be released in a month if you payed attention.
You're not hearing much about all the other technology either. So don't worry.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Yes, it is. This is the combination I use when birding (50% of my photography) - DA*300+AFA x1.7. The other frustrating aspect of this combination is that you can not use MF only - as the AFA is very independent minded and will want to focus no matter what it's attached to.

If Pentax do not come out with the camera I want, or/and the 560, at Photokina then for my birding I am switching brands with the D800/Sigma 500 and Nikon x1.7 or x2 TCs (the D800 has a DX mode - which the 5DIII lacks - and Nikons TCs are supposed to be better than Canon's). I played with the D800 a little yesterday - it did not feel either heavier or larger than the K5.
Why would you want to go birding with a full frame sensor? Sure, you can crop a lot with the D800, but I'd maybe get a 7D for that.
08-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #730
Veteran Member

Why would you want to go birding with a full frame sensor? Sure, you can crop a lot with the D800, but I'd maybe get a 7D for that.
The D800 has FF, x1.2 crop and x1.5 crop modes, choose which suits the circumstance you are shooting in best. You also get the superb Nikon AF (from the D4 - far more advanced than the 7D) and wonderful high ISO low noise (imagine the K5 noise levels but with a 2 stop advantage at high ISOs) and of course Nikon make the best x1.4, x1.7 and x2 TCs in the business.

The 7D can't compete.
08-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #731
Veteran Member

The D800 has FF, x1.2 crop and x1.5 crop modes, choose which suits the circumstance you are shooting in best. You also get the superb Nikon AF (from the D4 - far more advanced than the 7D) and wonderful high ISO low noise (imagine the K5 noise levels but with a 2 stop advantage at high ISOs) and of course Nikon make the best x1.4, x1.7 and x2 TCs in the business.

The 7D can't compete.
True. Of course it's obvious that I don't know much about Nikon .
I'd rather wait to see what Canon releases for photokina, the 7D is of course old by now.
The Nikon AF is certainly good since it works up to f/8 -- predestined for TC work.
However, I rather invest in glass than in such a body. A 600/4 ain't cheap.
08-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #732
Veteran Member

True, and I'd rather wait to see what Canon releases for photokina, the 7D is of course old by now.
The Nikon AF is certainly good since it works up to f/8 -- predestined for TC work.
However, I rather invest in glass than in such a body. A 600/4 ain't cheap.
The Sigma 500/4.5 is absolutely stellar glass (less than half the price of the 600) and paired with a x1.4 = 700/6.3 or with a x1.7 is = 850/7.7, add in the Nikon AF and high ISO handling and that is all I need for birding. The only downside is the 6fps (with grip or 4fps without) but since I only very rarely need that then even that isn't a real issue.

There's a Sigma 500mm (Nikon mount) in immaculate condition for US$3,000 in my local camera mall ... I'm on the verge and tottering.
08-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #733
Veteran Member

Thank you, Frogfish.
In case of the pentax 1.7 TC: it doesn`t support SDM, right? So one gets regular screwdrive-speed?
Did you ever tested another type of TC, that does support SDM? Is there any noticable speedincrease?
08-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #734
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Tamron + 300 SDM is slow. It overshoots focus and has to come back.

The 1.7x and 300 is fast. It might be faster than the 300 alone. Of course you have to pre-focus.
08-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #735
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But quick shift overrides the AFA's auto-focus, correct?