Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2017, 04:44 AM   #931
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Well, how much life is in this thread?
Availability of DA 560mm and its alternatives is still low.
This is the more recent thread about the DA 560 and new samples come up from time to time (not too often though).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/282825-da560-lens-club-le...me-photos.html
Also @Adam has said that at some point they are going to test the lens on the K-1 after the test of the DFA 150-450 which has been already published.

11-07-2017, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #932
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
This is the more recent thread about the DA 560 and new samples come up from time to time (not too often though).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/282825-da560-lens-club-le...me-photos.html
Also @Adam has said that at some point they are going to test the lens on the K-1 after the test of the DFA 150-450 which has been already published.
We're not planning any further tests of the 560mm at this time. We did take a look at how it fares on film, though, and with in-camera profiles in the K-1 it should be just fine on FF.

DA 560mm F5.6 - is it a Full-frame lens? - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #933
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We're not planning any further tests of the 560mm at this time. We did take a look at how it fares on film, though, and with in-camera profiles in the K-1 it should be just fine on FF.

DA 560mm F5.6 - is it a Full-frame lens? - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
OK thanks for your clarification Adam and I apologize for my mistake. I had misunderstood
10-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #934
Pentaxian

All DA560 related threads are listed there:
DA 560mm 5.6 AW - thread collection - everything about the DA560 - PentaxForums.com

11-01-2021, 03:31 AM   #935
Pentaxian

It's pity that the DA 560mm had been oficially discontinued this year.
DA560 production end / successor ? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
10-26-2023, 05:01 AM   #936
Pentaxian

Here's is the main discussion about the DA560.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just stumbled on to this, and I know it is 4 years ago, so I hope you are up and running.
My DA560 totally locked up, after being back to Japan for complete loss of AF (but still able to focus manually).
Was yours locked up, such that nothing could move the focus, or it just wouldn’t focus
Mine wasn't locked up. Never heard of your problem before.

Which camera do you use?
Who in Japan took care of the AF loss repair?
What're your options regarding the not properly working lens after the repair?
10-26-2023, 05:53 AM   #937
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's is the main discussion about the DA560.

Mine wasn't locked up. Never heard of your problem before.

Which camera do you use?
Who in Japan took care of the AF loss repair?
What're your options regarding the not properly working lens after the repair?
My history is not great regarding the lens and pentax service.

the lens was purchased brand new in canada (where law requires 2 year warranty) after about 1 year of use it developed a "wobble" or looseness in the connection of the main lens barrel. This issue has been reported for not only this lens but also for super telephotos all the way back to the K500/4.5 to my knowledge.

As it was still under warranty, it sent it to the local Ricoh/Pentax repair center, who advised me that they could not service the lens locally so it was sent back to Japan. It took almost 4 months to get it back, and i tested it at the repair center to make sure it worked, and it did. After using the lens 7 or 8 times over the next month or so, the AF just stopped. The lens would still focus manually and communicate with the camera but no AF. so back it went again to Japan for service, and another 2 month wait. Got it back, and again checked at the service center that it worked, which it did, and went on my way. use the lens daily for about a week, and then all of a sudden, the lens focusing locked up mechanically as i described.

I contacted pentax and ultimately as it was out of production and out of stock, since they could not exchange with a new lens, and since i had expressed concern that they did not appear to have he ability to repair the lens to origonal build condition and make a sustainable repair, we ultimately negotiated a full refund.

As for who did the repair, i would have to assume it was pentax, although all of that communication was hidden behind the local authorized service center.

My belief is that the origonal issue is largely due to the poor location of the lens strap eyelets. which are very far back and put 100% of the lens weight on the screws holding the barrel sections together, it would have been much better to have the eyelets on the tripod foot ring to spread the load of the lens more uniformly

10-28-2023, 12:39 AM   #938
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
My history is not great regarding the lens and pentax service.

the lens was purchased brand new in canada (where law requires 2 year warranty) after about 1 year of use it developed a "wobble" or looseness in the connection of the main lens barrel. This issue has been reported for not only this lens but also for super telephotos all the way back to the K500/4.5 to my knowledge.

As it was still under warranty, it sent it to the local Ricoh/Pentax repair center, who advised me that they could not service the lens locally so it was sent back to Japan. It took almost 4 months to get it back, and i tested it at the repair center to make sure it worked, and it did. After using the lens 7 or 8 times over the next month or so, the AF just stopped. The lens would still focus manually and communicate with the camera but no AF. so back it went again to Japan for service, and another 2 month wait. Got it back, and again checked at the service center that it worked, which it did, and went on my way. use the lens daily for about a week, and then all of a sudden, the lens focusing locked up mechanically as i described.

I contacted pentax and ultimately as it was out of production and out of stock, since they could not exchange with a new lens, and since i had expressed concern that they did not appear to have he ability to repair the lens to origonal build condition and make a sustainable repair, we ultimately negotiated a full refund.

As for who did the repair, i would have to assume it was pentax, although all of that communication was hidden behind the local authorized service center.

My belief is that the origonal issue is largely due to the poor location of the lens strap eyelets. which are very far back and put 100% of the lens weight on the screws holding the barrel sections together, it would have been much better to have the eyelets on the tripod foot ring to spread the load of the lens more uniformly
Out of service, end of life.

This is exactly the reason why I stopped considering to buy a used copy or any older FA* or even a long Sigma tele.
10-28-2023, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #939
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote

This is exactly the reason why I stopped considering to buy a used copy or any older FA* or even a long Sigma tele.
I would not equate one to the other. I think the issue I had is that what started as a relatively simple issue manifested into an issue of lack of trained resources, especially during the pandemic, led to ever compounding issues.

Over my life I have seen many examples of this with technical products and transfer of technology where the unwritten knowledge of skilled workers is not captured in manuals and then given to relatively unskilled people who follow the process but can’t see simple things that are wrong. With the lens being out of production this is likely the case with my lens.
10-28-2023, 07:30 AM   #940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Two different things.

It depends on available spare parts, like with cars. And of the knowledge about dissably and reparing.
Both can be available for lenses which are discontinued.
10-28-2023, 11:16 AM   #941
Pentaxian

Both can be available for lenses which are discontinued.
For Sigma maybe, what for some other brands* -- apparently even the parts for a modern gear in production could be a problem.

* That is, of course, an information coming from an unreliable social media (a forum is a social media, right?). Anyway, to avoid being accused of "brand bashing" and under threat of being kicked out of the said social media, I won't be naming any brand in particular.
11-15-2023, 04:23 PM   #942

It definitely would be easier to service Sigma 300/2.8 than lets say Pentax FA*300/2.8..

Most parts are same no matter if you have Pentax, Canon, Nikon or Sony A version of come Sigma lens. Canon versions usually differ as they had to use internal motor for lenses like 100-300/4 while Pentax and Sony versions are simply autofocused through body.