Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #16
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Universal Soup and the internet

Ben, this is very interesting. I do believe in this universal soup thing, but the concept meets some discussion every time it is brought up.

A friend of mine has always said that this "Universal Soup" was called "the internet" and that everything that was ill-protected could be accessed. (He also said there was an astonishing amount of information very badly protected. He also tried to sell me a better internet safety pack. He since then is a little less good friend).

Your dream story reveals that even things that are not part of an industrial design process or governmental discussion process, are in this soup before they happen. Kind of frightening, because they seem to be deemed to happen once in the soup, am I right?

Did you have more of those dreams, afterwards? Did you understand what had happened?

And, in order not to get Off Topic: did you have dreams of the next-next Pentax, too?

01-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #17
and
Veteran Member

I could do a list of wishes but frst and foremost I wish they will do a k1d soon and not just a k30d, I dont see myself buying a new k10d level camera once a year. Its good to know there is something higher up that you can upgrade to. That gives you greater confidence to invest in expensive lenses as well.
01-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #18

Well, nothing fancy but I can recall two occurances that I can't really explain, could be coincidence, though pretty steep chances.

One was when I was at a friends house, he liked music a lot and had lot's of CD's (200+), but I never really looked at them. He took a CD without the rest seeing which one he took and asked "which one you think I took?" For some reason I said Supergrass and that was the one he chose.

The other time I had a dream that there had been a shooting inside a certain theatre in the city I lived in at that time. Now I never been to that theatre, so why would I dream about a shooting there? The next day I heard that night there had been a shooting outside exactly that theatre, the bullets were aimed at the theatre bouncer. Could be fellow students talked about it in the hallway when I was asleep, I don't know.

Back on topic, if it's not FF, I would like a rounded rectangle sensor (you can also simply oversize it) that follows the whole image circle from 1:1 to 2:1 aspect ration and the possibility use a button dial combination to switch between 1:1, 4:3, 1.414:1, 3:2, 16:9, 2:1 and the full sensor (to choose a full image circle crop in PP). I just get more satisfaction from making the right composition in camera compared to PP and multiple aspect ratios which can be chosen quickly and easily would therefore be welcome.

Last edited by CSpronken; 01-01-2008 at 10:30 AM.
01-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

For the next-next Pentax, huh? How about some Linux support? Even if the software doesn't support Linux, why can't the camera? Even my $10 thumb drive is recognized as being USB-MSC-complient...why can't a $700 camera manage it?

01-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #20

One comment about the Vertical grip built right in.

Now I am a tripod photographer...my camera has a quick release permanantly (close enough)screwed on. I wonder if anyone else had been concerned about this. By this I mean, the distance from the tripod to the top of the camera can be substantial. Not to mention the additional extension of the tripod head itself. I didn't purchase a grip for this reason...so built in sounds promising. Feedback? Phil
01-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

linux

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
For the next-next Pentax, huh? How about some Linux support? Even if the software doesn't support Linux, why can't the camera? Even my $10 thumb drive is recognized as being USB-MSC-complient...why can't a $700 camera manage it?
It Just Works for me under Fedora 6 or CentOS 5 -- I can plug the camera in and transfer files on/off no problem. (Although I usually use a card reader anyway.)

But it would be cool if the raw development software worked in Linux, at least until ufraw gets a little better.
01-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #22
Forum Member

I make my living as a video professional. I'll really go out on quite a limb and ask that Pentax consider taking digital convergence all the way and build a film resolution video camera. I know that many of the sensors made today are quite capable of this, just need the right memory system for the extreme data rates. Of course, live view would be needed to make this truly possible.

Give me 1080 progressive at video rates!

Give me a $2500 version of the Red Digital Cinema camera and you'll sell one to EVERY video professional on the planet.

01-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
If I were Pentax, I just introduce a super simple DSLR, just like a K1000 but with also AF and basic AE modes, but re-include full spec K-mount and legacy TTL support, this body must be selling like hot cake - at least for the millions of old K-mount users like us over the world.
For a true K1000D (a digital K1000, no more no less.), i would bee prepared to pay just as much, or maybee even more than the camera codiac2600 was proposing, and for that price i would bee happy with 10-12 Mp in such a camera.
01-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #24
Inactive Account

My DS is supported by Linux

For the next-next Pentax, huh? How about some Linux support? Even if the software doesn't support Linux, why can't the camera?
My DS is recognized by Linux but I never use it because it rapidly sucks battery power. What distro are you using, what camera do you think isn't supported, what does usb-view show? What does "ls /dev" as root show?
01-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #25
Inactive Account

The Pancake Camera

Mike Johnson at The Online Photographer:

"Disappointment of the Year: The continuing emptiness of the "DMD" small street-camera category. The Sigma DP-1 didn't appear, and neither did anything else like it, despite several other important voices on the web (most notably, Thom Hogan's) joining me in calling for it. Let's hope we're not all bemoaning the same thing at the end of 2008."

I want a 'Pancake Camera' to match my pancake lenses. Pentax is almost there. They have the well-regarded lenses, now I want the camera. Not a low-end camera, but fully-featured and SMALL. I wouldn't care that much about a premium price.

I would suggest the number of buyers for a small camera will dwarf the number prepared to pay for another 'semi-pro', generic, huge, 'black-box' camera.
01-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by digitalphil Quote
Now I am a tripod photographer...my camera has a quick release permanantly (close enough)screwed on. I wonder if anyone else had been concerned about this. By this I mean, the distance from the tripod to the top of the camera can be substantial. Not to mention the additional extension of the tripod head itself. I didn't purchase a grip for this reason...so built in sounds promising. Feedback? Phil
Phil, I'm not sure what issue you might be having. Is it that a longer lens is not as solid? I've used the k10D with grip on a tripd all the time and had no real issue with the 'distance' of the top of the camera to the tripod baseplate.
01-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #27
Inactive Account

How about wireless transfer for events shoot? I just got start it in wedding and it would be neat to shoot, wireless transfer to comp, then print on the spot.
01-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
My DS is recognized by Linux but I never use it because it rapidly sucks battery power. What distro are you using, what camera do you think isn't supported, what does usb-view show? What does "ls /dev" as root show?
**** Me rumages through desk looking for K10D USB cord...finds cord...plugs in and prepares to run usbview...

Huh. Looky there. Automounted and everydamnthing. Far out.

Never mind.

I swear it didn't work a month ago, and yet card readers and thumb drives DID. Musta been some sorta resource conflict, or sumpthin'. Works now. Damn.

Move along...nothing to see here...just ignore my previous post...

01-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Quote
How about wireless transfer for events shoot? I just got start it in wedding and it would be neat to shoot, wireless transfer to comp, then print on the spot.
At the risk of sticking my foot in my mouth again how about the "eye-fi" card?

Eye-Fi Home
01-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At the risk of sticking my foot in my mouth again how about the "eye-fi" card?

Eye-Fi Home
I don't have two hours to transfer my pictures over