Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
If Pentax did bring out a Ful Frame K1D, would they just totally drop the 645D concept?
IMO they do not have the ressources (yet?) to support 3 systems at the same time: APS-C, 35mmFF and 645D. But maybe in the future who knows?

Somehow I really do not beleive in 35mmFF as long as the sensor technology can progress and APS-C remains a good compromise they will use it. That and (maybe) 645D. Then later, if necessary, migrate from APS-C to 35mm FF but I would not hold my breath.

01-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peter Zack beat me to it and the fact I'm punctually late but I'm not asking for much that hasn't been mentioned.

- I want the split-screen focus

Perhaps I'm blind but I find it difficult to focus vs. my K1000 (I'm going to swap the screen in my K100D soon anyway)

- White Balance memory/save placeholders.

The K100D I find has terrible WB with Auto or Manual, especially for indoor lighting. Mind you I'm not using a white balance card. When I finally do get it adjusted for one area in the house I have to readjust for a different room with different lighting. Being able to save WB to Memory would be beneficial or provide a WB menu that allows you to scroll through adjustments seen real time.

- Good thumb grip

I've held the K10D several times, love the grip. Next best to that IMO is the Sony A200/300. The K100D does the job but it's no where close. Hopefully they don't disappoint here and keep what they have or simply make it better.

I guess I'm not asking for much.

Contrary to what some think or you hear in photo circles 'don't buy into the megapixel race' I've already hit the wall with my 6.1 and my first 16x24" print at only 2000 shots on the camera. I'm now limited by my creativity and even sales of what I'm trying to capture because I can't enlarge to a size I'm satisfied with regard to quality.
I'm my own worst critic, I see the flaws others glance over as they are taken in by the image as a whole. I welcome 18MP with open arms but a firmly held wallet. I'd even trade up to a 12-14MP is that were possible. It's nice to see a company listening to what their consumers are looking for, a grass roots camera company for sure.
01-04-2008, 06:56 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you sure you have hit the wall quality wise with 6mp? Could it be the lens instead? Have sold 20x30" enlargements taken by DS and 77 limited. With raw, proper resizing and sharpening it is pretty amazing. Use it to show people they don't need as many pixels as they think. Have sold many 6mp camera because of it. What lens are you using?
thanks
barondla
01-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well i posted this on another thread earlier but i agree with Barondla...why not just keep to using a smaller amount of quality pixels or instead of doubling them on one sensor spread them out over 2 like Fuji. Pentax's DR needs a good boost and it suits their lens line up. 20+mp is going into medium format territory and is better left to the 645d proposal if ever it comes to fruition.

01-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #50
Veteran Member

And since were on dream camera's how about going one step further than Fuji and using 3 dedicated sensors. One for each colour space of RGB. Letting you customize each individual sensors output. Would be like working a screen printing machine lol. Id expect it see it when aliens officially announce their presence lol.....
01-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #51
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well, on the note of the next Pentax (not the next, next ones(s), coming this year.

Here's some further info on the new body and the press realease which is sheduled now for Jan 10 in Dubai

Quote from the page Google translation from Italian:
02.01.2008 - With the merger of the group Pentax Hoya effective from 12 March, will open for a glorious Japanese brand new road in the photographic market. What seems certain is that Hoya, the medical interessatissima of Pentax, has all intezioni of photographic value. This was confirmed by the fact that for the first time in its history, Pentax announced an international press conference to be held on January 10 in Dubai. On that occasion, in all likelihood, it will be possible to see confirmed two new entries reflex (evolution excellent K10D and K100D with Cmos sensors from 14 and 10MP) and understand how the "new" Pentax intends to move in a market across reflex 'compressed hours between Canon and Nikon. Furthermore, if ever riesumato the project 645D, in which time the house will proceed to and renovation of the range of objectives and if, as it seems, will continue cooperation with Samsung for reflex cameras.

Translated page is here:
Translated version of FOTOGRAFIA REFLEX

Original page is here:
FOTOGRAFIA REFLEX

Looks like we'll know soon and the various rumours are all sounding very similar.
01-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
IMO they do not have the ressources (yet?) to support 3 systems at the same time: APS-C, 35mmFF and 645D. But maybe in the future who knows?

Somehow I really do not beleive in 35mmFF as long as the sensor technology can progress and APS-C remains a good compromise they will use it. That and (maybe) 645D. Then later, if necessary, migrate from APS-C to 35mm FF but I would not hold my breath.
I agree with you. Unless they pull a complete surprise, Pentax doesn't seem to be positioning their lens line for FF cameras. It seems more likely that they'd develop their APS-C cameras for the serious amateur/semi-pro market and then bring out the 645D as their "pro" camera.

01-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #53
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
Until now I just thought you were an insecure egomaniac, hanging around this forum to devour scraps of praise tossed into your cage like offal to a hyena. Now I see that you are totally and utterly barking mad.

In addition, you have taken this tragedy that touched all Australians to the core and made it into a shallow gimmick to falsely prove some extra-ordinary perception. You make me sick.
Wow, that it is quite a harsh description. I am not a benjamin defender by any mean, but I think that such comments are completely out of place, even if you were somehow a victim in the shooting. Even when he was clearly looking for attention, I dont see any intention to insult or underestimate the suffering of the victims or the australians. Somebody could tell you that you are trying to look like the propietary of the suffering derived from the tragedy. Btw, if you were affected, I am really sorry, those things shouldnt happen I just dont see the need to spread the bitterness of that moment so cheaply.
01-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I don't think that it's Ben who is being silly. NT

-----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
Until now I just thought you were an insecure egomaniac, hanging around this forum to devour scraps of praise tossed into your cage like offal to a hyena. Now I see that you are totally and utterly barking mad.

In addition, you have taken this tragedy that touched all Australians to the core and made it into a shallow gimmick to falsely prove some extra-ordinary perception. You make me sick.
01-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #55

I'd like to see a 3rd e-dial on the back of the next-next Pentax. A programmable vertical e-dial which could be used for the ISO. Also, give the e-dials a little more give.

Also, a dual SD card slot would be cool.

And a feature that would do a diagnostic check up on startup. I thought about this looking at the dust feature on start up. Why not have something that tests your whole system and give you a readout of your status before you use it?

Also, a BLACK shutter release button. I was thinking about asking Pentax if they can replace the silver shutter release button on my K10D with a black one like the one on the grip. I noticed that Nikon's pro cameras have black buttons and their pro-sumer and less thans all have silver buttons. Plus, I like the grip shutter release better than the body's to be honest.
01-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
Also, a BLACK shutter release button. I was thinking about asking Pentax if they can replace the silver shutter release button on my K10D with a black one like the one on the grip. I noticed that Nikon's pro cameras have black buttons and their pro-sumer and less thans all have silver buttons. Plus, I like the grip shutter release better than the body's to be honest.
The MZ-S has a shiny black button, of which the coating is very hard and sturdy. It has little scratches over years of use by me, unlike the black shiny button of my Canon 5D, which is prone to scratches.

So, Pentax can have superior quality, even better than C and N, provided that they are willing to offer.
01-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the expensive Contax film P&S that has a ceramic shutter button. No wear on that baby.
thanks
barondla
01-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I have the expensive Contax film P&S that has a ceramic shutter button. No wear on that baby.
thanks
barondla
I think the material used for the MZ-S is yet some kind of plastic.
01-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #59

I just want THIS 100 MP all scene focus camera.
01-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #60

A feature that would be nice is a a stylus-sensitive screen to scribble down notes about the picture being displayed. I went to Ethiopia and shot several little churches. I had a little notebook to write down their names. Needless to say I lost it and my bookkeeping was not very thorough anyway. I had to refer back to guides, sometimes to no avail. Impromptu street portraits could be another possible application (to write down the name of the person). I guess photojournalists would love that.