Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax ?!?

For a company involved with images and visual applications I am completely shocked at the web sites they have. The Canadian site is by far the worst. It does not even list all the current product. Navigation of their sites is terrible and does not inspire anyone to proceed or explore. In this day and age a grade 12 student could create a much more fluid web page. I love the Pentax product and have used their gear for over 30 years. It just shocks me that they do not do the little easy things and show off their talents. Do they enjoy coming in 3rd (and with the introduction of new makes every year - soon 6th or worse). Most stores do not carry the Pentax line. The ones that do have little knowledge, literature, or stock. The display look like a sinking ship. I am not shocked to see shopper wander into a store and not even ask to pick up a Pentax camera (and these are people who walk in with an open mind). I also wonder why Pentax sits back and lets other companies create product to fill holes left open in their line. Pentax needs to get serious, fly a much larger flag, and come up to speed on the dance floor because the competition is wearing new flashy clothes and seems to be learning all the new steps quickly.

Does anybody else have any comments or ideas?

01-01-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, we all know that they need to step up their marketing game. Unfortunately they don't seem to realise. Let's see what 2008 will bring.
01-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
For a company involved with images and visual applications I am completely shocked at the web sites they have. The Canadian site is by far the worst. It does not even list all the current product. Navigation of their sites is terrible and does not inspire anyone to proceed or explore. In this day and age a grade 12 student could create a much more fluid web page. I love the Pentax product and have used their gear for over 30 years. It just shocks me that they do not do the little easy things and show off their talents. Do they enjoy coming in 3rd (and with the introduction of new makes every year - soon 6th or worse). Most stores do not carry the Pentax line. The ones that do have little knowledge, literature, or stock. The display look like a sinking ship. I am not shocked to see shopper wander into a store and not even ask to pick up a Pentax camera (and these are people who walk in with an open mind). I also wonder why Pentax sits back and lets other companies create product to fill holes left open in their line. Pentax needs to get serious, fly a much larger flag, and come up to speed on the dance floor because the competition is wearing new flashy clothes and seems to be learning all the new steps quickly.

I have been having meetings with Pentax here in France to discuss some of the issues you have addressed. Those issues do get passed on to the other Pentax divisions quite rapidly. I have forwarded your e-mail to the President of Pentax, France.

About a month and a half ago we discussed matters related to issues such as public perception etc. None the less, I cannot go further in detail but to say that I am completely aware of issues that could be addressed and that info is being shared with the appropriate parties.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Happy Holidays
Ben
01-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Actually any Pentax dedicated sites (e.g. here) do it much better than those official Pentax sites which are boring and not inspiring as you said.

01-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Actually any Pentax dedicated sites (e.g. here) do it much better than those official Pentax sites which are boring and not inspiring as you said.
I am certain that there are individuals in marketing and PR that read many of the posting here and on several other forums..

Ben
01-01-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Damn.
Now you've done it, now everyone is going to know about Pentax Couldn't you have waited till I had bought some more old lenses on ebay - every time someone buys a Pentax these lenses go up in price.

Oh well new it was too good to last
01-01-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Have to admit I really never paid any attention to the Pentax web sites. Just visited a few of them this morning.

I agree, the Pentax web sites are ugly as sin. It appears each separate sales company is responsible for design of their own web site. This means there is no cohesiveness to the projected Pentax image.

Pretty sad.

This needs to be fixed from the top down.

cheers,
Rick
01-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I am certain that there are individuals in marketing and PR that read many of the posting here and on several other forums..

Ben
Let's hope the ones that are reading these forums have some authority. In general I find the professionalism of all the DSLR manufacturers less than average with Pentax being by far the worst. This is not a matter of budget, but one of creativity along with management. Allowing each country to develop their own site, which seems to be the case, is a ridiculous waste of money and energy.

My fear is Hoya has no expertise in retailing items and will not be able to identify the weakness of Pentax's marketing.

01-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Have to admit I really never paid any attention to the Pentax web sites. Just visited a few of them this morning.

I agree, the Pentax web sites are ugly as sin. It appears each separate sales company is responsible for design of their own web site. This means there is no cohesiveness to the projected Pentax image.

Pretty sad.

This needs to be fixed from the top down.

cheers,
Rick

EXACTLY...UNIFORMITY...
01-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #10

Ben,
Webpages need to look attractive and rich. Pentax has to learn a lesson or two from others. Their Pentaxphotogallery is easily one of the best.

Other area which needs total revamping is Pentax photo browser and Photolab. Interface looks cheap, yet not fast enough. You can't even browse the photos with arrow keys. You need to do lot of Mouse clickings. I used to like Nikonview verymuch. Hope Pentax does something about this too.
01-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skamaraju Quote
Their Pentaxphotogallery is easily one of the best.
Even PPG needs someone who understands web etiquette and accessibility conventions. If you are on a machine without Flash installed, PPG is unaccessible. Sure, they give you a link to view the individual artists' names, but clicking on one of them just brings you back to the flash error page. We won't even go into the problems this causes for the handicapped users.
01-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax needs to get serious, fly a much larger flag, and come up to speed on the dance floor because the competition is wearing new flashy clothes and seems to be learning all the new steps quickly.
Indeed. One thing I've noticed, in coming back to the Pentax fold (used Pentax back in the 70's, switched to Canon FD, and just recently took the DSLR plunge with Pentax again) is the lack of advertising, and, dare I say it, name recognition. This boggles my mind, as Pentax was always one of the heavy-weights in the old days. I guess I never realized they had lost their way (marketing-wise). I believe there is still strength in the name, Pentax, and I believe Hoya recognizes this, also. I further believe it is now up to Hoya to make a greater investment in their newly acquired asset, and commence with a major advertising blitz, and re-establish Pentax as a player. I hope Hoya sees this, and I hope the announcements at PMA will provide the impetus for this.
01-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Just a suggestion, but if there's something that you like about a particular web site why not post it here or on another thread.
And if you don't like something about a web site post it on the same thread.

With a little luck someone from Pentax will read it and take everything into consideration
01-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Indeed. One thing I've noticed, in coming back to the Pentax fold (used Pentax back in the 70's, switched to Canon FD, and just recently took the DSLR plunge with Pentax again) is the lack of advertising, and, dare I say it, name recognition. This boggles my mind, as Pentax was always one of the heavy-weights in the old days. I guess I never realized they had lost their way (marketing-wise). I believe there is still strength in the name, Pentax, and I believe Hoya recognizes this, also. I further believe it is now up to Hoya to make a greater investment in their newly acquired asset, and commence with a major advertising blitz, and re-establish Pentax as a player. I hope Hoya sees this, and I hope the announcements at PMA will provide the impetus for this.
Here in the Pacific North west, I watch the ads and have for years due to the passing
interest in photography. It is now common to see a a full page print ad in the sunday paper and no (zero, nada) space assigned to any pentax product. the usual lay out is 25% of the page to each of the big guys, 25% to various accessories and other, and 25% to 'also ran' brands---aa couple lesser brands of SLR equipment, but the word Pentax will never make the page.

On the other hand, recently and very recently, Shutterbug HAS been doing some innovative advertizing featuring Pentax, which includes some pop ups on the internet so maybe the ship is starting to turn.
01-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
Inactive Account

my thoughts on the pentax websites:
- It would take me an hour or 2 to design something FAR better, and i'm not very good compared to some of the webdesign pro's available to large corps like Pentax.
- Everything from the navigation to the quantity/quality of images/information is inconsistent between the sites for different countries.
- The only thing the different sites seem to have in common is that theyre consistently poor, although in different areas.
- To be honest I don't understand why there isn't just a central marketing site that ALL countries view as the same thing and then seperate ecommerce sites for each country/region.
- The flash navigation on the american site makes me want to tear my eyes out with a CD.

sorry to sound like RH but it's beyond time Pentax sorted this out. then they can think about telling people about their products and their website through tv/mags etc