Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #61
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
IMO, it is crippled and that kind of crippling will happen more and more with Ricoh.
Price to pay to compete with Canikon.

02-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #62
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
I don't think the K-01 is deliberately crippled. The K-01 is probably every bit as good as the K-5, but:

- it's worse built (relatively; it's not magnesium)
- It has fewer controls and no TAv modes
- It has no viewfinder

Etc. etc.

Anyway, the K-5 will be discontinued soon, so no reason to "protect" it.
02-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #63
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't think the K-01 is deliberately crippled. The K-01 is probably every bit as good as the K-5, but:
Regarding 12bit vs. 14bit mode: Doesn't providing only 12 bit mode also reduce file size of DNGs? This is a camera made to be simple for P&S upgrades, you really don't want to bother them with details like that. And does anyone really know for sure that it has no 14 bit mode? It could be available as an advanced setting somewhere.

Anyway, I think it's simply hilarious that conclusions are drawn about the capabilities of the Prime M processor based on the capabilities of a beginner-oriented model which nobody yet has tried with production firmware!!
02-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #64
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
One interesting idea from Russian penta club - "K-01 is digital back for K-mount".
Sense K-01 as digital back and you will understand the inner meaning of K-01...

it's in spirit of Ricoh philosophy. By the way

02-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #65
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Regarding 12bit vs. 14bit mode: Doesn't providing only 12 bit mode also reduce file size of DNGs? This is a camera made to be simple for P&S upgrades, you really don't want to bother them with details like that. And does anyone really know for sure that it has no 14 bit mode? It could be available as an advanced setting somewhere.

Anyway, I think it's simply hilarious that conclusions are drawn about the capabilities of the Prime M processor based on the capabilities of a beginner-oriented model which nobody yet has tried with production firmware!!
We only get 14 bit in raw anyways right? Shooting JPEG out of the camera (like I'm quite sure a bunch of people here do also) wouldn't make a bit of difference between 14 and 12 bit (unless I am wrong and someone can make fun of me now).
02-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #66
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
What I understand from readings around is that Sony changed things on their sensor to use less power and produce less heat while running liveview or video. No idea if this is also the case with the sensor in K-01. But it would make sence.

Regarding the new chip. It is faster, for one thing because it changed from 14-bit to 12-bit. But it can handle more video. When this is used in a K-5 successor with 24 megapixel, it could mean that all the profit in speed is going on waste on those extra megapixels. For Me I hope that K-5 successor stops at 16 megapixel and a FF maxes at 24megapixel or less.
02-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #67
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
What I understand from readings around is that Sony changed things on their sensor to use less power and produce less heat while running liveview or video. No idea if this is also the case with the sensor in K-01. But it would make sence.

Regarding the new chip. It is faster, for one thing because it changed from 14-bit to 12-bit. But it can handle more video. When this is used in a K-5 successor with 24 megapixel, it could mean that all the profit in speed is going on waste on those extra megapixels. For Me I hope that K-5 successor stops at 16 megapixel and a FF maxes at 24megapixel or less.
I wouldn't mind a 18MP APS-C.. I always thought 18MP was the limit for APS-C sensors.
02-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
What I understand from readings around is that Sony changed things on their sensor to use less power and produce less heat while running liveview or video. No idea if this is also the case with the sensor in K-01. But it would make sence.

Regarding the new chip. It is faster, for one thing because it changed from 14-bit to 12-bit. But it can handle more video. When this is used in a K-5 successor with 24 megapixel, it could mean that all the profit in speed is going on waste on those extra megapixels. For Me I hope that K-5 successor stops at 16 megapixel and a FF maxes at 24megapixel or less.
I don't know, I like the 36 MP ff Nikon dropped with no AA filter. in Dx mode(apsc) it is the same file size as D7000 (k5) giving the best of both worlds in one body. Admittedly it will slow down post processing (initially) for most people, but if you can afford the entry into these cameras then you can afford to upgrade your processor speed as well (and ultimately over the camera life it will not even be an issue as you will certainly upgrade the computr before upgrading that body )

02-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #69
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I don't know, I like the 36 MP ff Nikon dropped with no AA filter. in Dx mode(apsc) it is the same file size as D7000 (k5) giving the best of both worlds in one body. Admittedly it will slow down post processing (initially) for most people, but if you can afford the entry into these cameras then you can afford to upgrade your processor speed as well (and ultimately over the camera life it will not even be an issue as you will certainly upgrade the computr before upgrading that body )
But...Official samples from RAW are not bad, but it's no good...M9 or 645D without AA filter look much sharper...
02-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #70
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
But...Official samples from RAW are not bad, but it's no good...M9 or 645D without AA filter look much sharper...
+ 1, that was my impression too.
02-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,801
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't think the K-01 is deliberately crippled. The K-01 is probably every bit as good as the K-5, but:

- it's worse built (relatively; it's not magnesium)
- It has fewer controls and no TAv modes
- It has no viewfinder

Etc. etc.

Anyway, the K-5 will be discontinued soon, so no reason to "protect" it.
If they are going to go with the 24MP Sony sensor then the IQ compared to the K-5 will be practically the same, so protecting the K-5 is the same as protecting the replacement.

Maybe not crippled, but I am willing to bet that Pentax has made choices to improve the CDAF (image processor dependent) and the HD Video (image processor) at the expense of high ISO and dynamic range. Instead of crippled, lets say the reallocated resources.
02-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #72
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
Yep. Crippled is too strong a word for what I meant but you get the point.
02-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #73
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep. Crippled is too strong a word for what I meant but you get the point.
New features in K-01

1. Prime M processor
2. Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p) features shutter speed and aperture exposure control, video autofocus control
3. 81 AF points
4. No PEF
5. Focus Peaking
6. New SR
7. Three (green and red + AF/AE-L) programmable buttons
8. AF tracking
9. New sensor
10. In-camera stereo microphone
11. 1024 metering
12. New HDR mode
13. Metering range: EV -1 to 21
02-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #74
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fowlmere, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 704
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
But...Official samples from RAW are not bad, but it's no good...M9 or 645D without AA filter look much sharper...
How reliable an impression do the samples give? (The Fuji X-pro1 samples were disappointing too, btw). It remains interesting competition for the 645D though, if Nikon's own lenses are up to the task.
02-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #75
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,328
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
How reliable an impression do the samples give? (The Fuji X-pro1 samples were disappointing too, btw). It remains interesting competition for the 645D though, if Nikon's own lenses are up to the task.
Eh, don't say that! You are making me nervous!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cp, japan, k-5, k-r, lineup, pentax news, pentax rumors, reports
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Expecting too much from my Sigma 17-50mm? Noggin Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 11-06-2011 01:39 PM
Focus Question - Camera, Lenses or Expecting Too Much? mtngal Pentax K-5 11 02-15-2011 03:00 AM
Am I expecting too much? FHPhotographer Pentax DSLR Discussion 59 01-11-2011 07:50 PM
Out Of Focus - Am I expecting too much? seachunk2 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 28 03-02-2010 03:27 PM
Am I expecting too much out of an old lens? whelmed Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 02-11-2010 07:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top