Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Expecting CP+ DSLR announcement...

I had a quick look at Yodobashi's web pages, and it seems like all 300+ versions of the K-r are marked as discontinued. Add to that the reports that K-01 may not be introduced in Japan at all, and what do you get? It would simply be totally crazy if they don't introduce something at CP+. The reports that the heir of the K-r is some months away may be right for all I know, but then they really have to introduce something else - like e.g. an lower-level model, or a K-5 replacement or both (possibly keeping the K-5 as a "cheaper model" until the new lineup is complete). They just can't continue much longer just offering Q - K-5 - 645D as their complete lineup. After all, K-r sold decently well in Japan last year, I guess it was very important for the bottom line.

02-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

As we know, with Pentax anything is possible.
They could decide to announce 3 new DSLRs and 15 new lenses, or nothing at all except a new colour for the 645D.
02-06-2012, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh but we'll get cries of "where is the k-5 replacement???" if only the k-r replacement comes out... or cries of "where is the full frame" if both replacements come out... or "why are there no new lenses for the 645D" if mention of the full frame news for this fall is mentioned... or cries of "why didn't Pentax just make a thin m4/3s camera..."

Aaaanyways, I'm looking forward to CP+ since my k-x will hit 60k shutter actuations by this summer.
02-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Personally I would like to see some mock-ups of the lenses that the lens roadmap shows for 2012. Perhaps some will be reserved for Photokina, but I expect at least 1 or 2?

But, perhaps we won't see anything? The lack of rumours/leaks is striking with only 3 days to go?

Wim

02-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
The lack of rumours/leaks is striking with only 3 days to go?
Hang over from the announcement last week...
02-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm excited because Pentax has already announced a release and gotten a LOT of attention for it for very little investment. I think this will bring more folks to their booth/area at CP+. As I have said, Ricoh has the resources and we need to give them the time to work.
02-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm excited because Pentax has already announced a release and gotten a LOT of attention for it for very little investment. I think this will bring more folks to their booth/area at CP+. As I have said, Ricoh has the resources and we need to give them the time to work.
I would not expect lots of folks at Pentax's booth, especially as the K-01 was not announced at all in Japan. The Pentax.jp site is a big blank with regards to the K-01.

Maybe they'll announce something even more radical. Like a K-01 with proper viewfinder

02-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Given that they announced the K-01 before CP+, I think there's some justification to the expectation of something new at CP+. The could have used CP+ to announce the K-01, which they didn't...
02-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It will ne announced in Japan. I found confirmation on another site. Could be also more color but No robot color
02-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #10

Maybe they are just waiting CP+ to release the K-01 in Japan...
02-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What to expect from Pentax Japan at CP+ is an interesting subject. No leaks up to this point if it will be a new camera other than the K-01. My guess is that it will be the K-01 with a few additional colors. Then there will be the the new GXR APC-S fix zoom module on display. Maybe the long kit lens for the Q. Maybe a new lens for the 645D.

It is way too soon after the K-01 announcement to announce another K-mount camera. I will guess that a K-r replacement base on the K-01 body with a pentamirror 100% viewfinder is in development and will be announce later this Spring. Then the K-5 replacement will be announced in the Summer. So it will be the K-01 and the K-5 for a few months.
02-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
What to expect from Pentax Japan at CP+ is an interesting subject. No leaks up to this point if it will be a new camera other than the K-01. My guess is that it will be the K-01 with a few additional colors.
Yes, I guess that's quite probable. It's not ideal, but at least they'll not look utterly stupid on the Japanese market (like they do right now with nothing between the Q and the K-5!).

QuoteQuote:
It is way too soon after the K-01 announcement to announce another K-mount camera.
I'm not so sure about that. It would be the right time (actually already too late!) to announce a K-r replacement.
02-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It would be a very poor business decision to announce a K01 with a viewfinder in Japan. It would kill the sales of the K01 without the viewfinder.
02-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
It would be a very poor business decision to announce a K01 with a viewfinder in Japan. It would kill the sales of the K01 without the viewfinder.
Would it? Not if the K-01 with a viewfinder is priced at K-5 level.
02-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Well, what if that K-01 with viewfinder has an FF sensor and is called the K-1?