Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bodhi Quote
As long as they don't discontinue the 28-75 2.8 it's not a big issue

but tamron has been making less and less lenses for Pentax. until ricoh turns market share numbers around and presents a fuller line there is no incentive for them to reverse engineer the latest mount tweaks to make it work well. the fact that there is no FF also makes it moot for a FF lens. If (when) a FF is announced i can see them turning that around since they will have little initial competition from Pentax themselves

02-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
As long as they don't discontinue the 28-75 2.8 it's not a big issue

but tamron has been making less and less lenses for Pentax. until ricoh turns market share numbers around and presents a fuller line there is no incentive for them to reverse engineer the latest mount tweaks to make it work well. the fact that there is no FF also makes it moot for a FF lens. If (when) a FF is announced i can see them turning that around since they will have little initial competition from Pentax themselves
It's now officially announced. I'm currious about the price.
02-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I thought that was the assembly plant, not the sensor plant?

And q-2
Bernanke already did Q-2.

Oh. Wait.
02-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #34
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I had a quick look at Yodobashi's web pages, and it seems like all 300+ versions of the K-r are marked as discontinued. Add to that the reports that K-01 may not be introduced in Japan at all, and what do you get? It would simply be totally crazy if they don't introduce something at CP+. The reports that the heir of the K-r is some months away may be right for all I know, but then they really have to introduce something else - like e.g. an lower-level model, or a K-5 replacement or both (possibly keeping the K-5 as a "cheaper model" until the new lineup is complete). They just can't continue much longer just offering Q - K-5 - 645D as their complete lineup. After all, K-r sold decently well in Japan last year, I guess it was very important for the bottom line.
Well my wild guess would be:

K-r replacement based up on K-01 design by Marc Newson with mirror and OVF.

02-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO no DSLR at CP+ (I wish I'm wrong though...)
02-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

If there really was anything actually coming wouldn't we have heard something tangible by now? We have no reliable rumours at all, other than a general sense that it's about time the K-r was updated.
02-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well my wild guess would be:

K-r replacement based up on K-01 design by Marc Newson with mirror and OVF.
I rather think K-r chassis (incl. OVF and mirror) with K-01 internals.

02-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

That would make sense. It would save Pentax a lot of money if they can just reuse the K-r body; which as I understand it is pretty good anyway.

Although I quite like the design of the K-01 myself, plus it has a metal body. So I wouldn't complain if they did use the K-01 as the base but I don't expect them to.
02-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I doubt Pentax will announce the K-r replacement if the K-01 sells well. My guess is they are going to wait and see if the K-01 takes off. If the K-01 flops then we will see a K-r replacement this summer. My guess is that the reason Pentax did not put much into the K-01 is that it is a test camera for the entry level.
02-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #40

Yea this makes a lot of sense. I doubt they would develop the 'Prime M' processing engine unless they expect to use it for future aps-c cameras after the K-01.

This camera would be cheap, and the K-5 would still have weather sealing as its big feature.
02-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I don't think there will be a Pentax DSLR at CP+, pictures of it or at least detailed specs would have leaked by now. Look at the history for the previous Pentax camera releases, all leaked well in advance of announcement.
02-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #42
Veteran Member

The K-5 replacement had to be under development long before Ricoh bought Pentax. Unless Ricoh put the brakes on it or Pentax is waiting on sensors from Sony (which would mean the new 24MP). I would bet everything is ready except the sensor supply issues.
02-06-2012, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #43
D0n
Banned

you take the newest aps-c 24mp sensor from Sony, the new M engine from k-01 throw it into a k5.... there is your pro model...
keep the k-5, but add the m processing engine and a few upgrades to video..... there is your mid tier model
take the guts from the k-5 put them into a kr (or even better a retro mz5n styled) body.... there is your kr replacement.

evolution, not revolution....

Pentax just needs to get some competent upgrades to existing models out there.
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
you take the newest aps-c 24mp sensor from Sony, the new M engine from k-01 throw it into a k5.... there is your pro model...
keep the k-5, but add the m processing engine and a few upgrades to video..... there is your mid tier model
take the guts from the k-5 put them into a kr (or even better a retro mz5n styled) body.... there is your kr replacement.
I don't know, the 'new processing engine' sounds good but could only apply to JEPGs. For RAW, it would still be identical to the K-5 with a newer sensor.

Your strategy sounds suspiciously like the canikon route of dubious upgrades and missing features that don't always justify the price differences.

Maybe that is the only way to go from a business point of view.
02-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #45
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Azimuth Quote
I don't know, the 'new processing engine' sounds good but could only apply to JEPGs. For RAW, it would still be identical to the K-5 with a newer sensor.
Nah, you've got it wrong there- the new processor is a different physical chip, which improves performance too- i.e. it lets you shoot video at a higher framerate and probably flushes the buffer out faster. It's like Canon when they went from DIGIC4 to DIGIC5 (funny thing is that their flagship has 3 total chips, though- wish Pentax had that!).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: